101 things you didn't know

about Rock and Roll

101 Things you didn’t know about RnR

Well… I already knew a few of these, and I’m sure the rest of you will as well. Here’s one of the more interesting:

<!–QuoteBegin>

72. The “always amazing, Mr.” Steve Vai, in colaboration with Ibanez, literally put himself into a project called the JEM VAI2K DNA guitar - a limited-edition release of the JEM. The fun thing is “Ibanez used my blood – a lot of my blood – in the guitar’s swirling paint job. Maybe a hundred years from now, when someone decides to clone me from the blood in the paint, my clone will finally figure out how get his music on the radio.” Ahhh Steve, Steve…always so funny and…insane.

Yuck.

:cool:

This one had it backwards though, given that the amp came years after the album:

<!–QuoteBegin>

18. Van Halen’s “5150” is named after Eddie’s Peavey 5150 amp, which is built exclusively for him.

Quote (Willy @ Sep. 29 2005,19:56)
This one had it backwards though, given that the amp came years after the album:

<!–QuoteBegin>
18. Van Halen’s “5150” is named after Eddie’s Peavey 5150 amp, which is built exclusively for him.

I saw that as well… Maybe Peavy was making a custom amp just for Eddie for a few years before they made a retail model? If not, what did the “5150” stand for? I seem to recall that it was a police code of some sort, but I’m clueless…

…google…google…google…

Nevermind - 5150 is a California police code for a dangerous mentaly disturbed person.

Straight from the VH website. :cool:

5150 is the number of their street address where their home studio is as well, where they did most of recording for that album. It seems to fit all around. The 5150 amp was the first Peavey made for him, and yep it was well after the album came out.

As for that amp…all I’ll say is, there nothihng like a Marshall.

I did sound for a few bands that guitarists used the 5150 and not a one of then had a good tone out front. It was a great isolated tone on stage, but it wouldn’t cut and generally sounded like mud otherwise. Of course I can’t blame it all on the amp, but all of them sounded the same and the bands styles were not all the same.

Gordon SUMNER, not Summer.