1500 registerd users? Is that all?

I think Flavio need our help!

I would think after years of internet presence n-track sales would have grown by now.
I was informed there are only about 1500 registerd users.
How can this be? 1500 world wide?
The program works. Every musician in the world has a computer and very few of them have a lot of money.
In my experiance very few people have ever heard of n-track.
I always tell them what I use and most of them ask me first.
How do we get more people to try the program?
I think this is the BIG question.
I tried it first, then I bought it.
I was looking at ADAT systems at the time.
n-track depends on MS, this could be as much a problem as not.
Millions of people use Linux and there are virtually no good sound apps available.
Perhaps a Posix version of n-track could be developed and included in the Linux distros, this would place n-track on millions of systems every year. Mac is posix and so is Linux.
People would register if they knew the system was available.
I will try to get my buddys to try the program and we should all do the same.
More users = more and better development = superior quality. Win Win!
Good luck to Flavio, and thanks for the great recording system!

1500 world wide?
That's a LOT in my book! Growth can be negative.

If he gets more than he'll have to start hiring lots of other people, i.e., who read/respond to email, who write the code, etc., etc. Then we never hear or see Flavio. Bad idea!

Small is beautiful.

Mr Soul

consider how many registered users would even use the forum
then consider how many of those would just lurk and not register
then consider the number of wipes this forum has had

i think that number is probably about right, considering… when was the last board refresh? i can’t recall…

Well, let’s see…

If N-Track had 20,000 registered users that would put Flavio into the millionaire+ bracket… Good for him.

But then he’d have to hire (possibly less talented) software engineers to write new versions to keep up with the demand, plus a marketing company, an accounting department and, with that many employees, a human resources department…

And then to finance it all, we’d be looking at paying $500-1000 a copy like Yamaha/Steinberg, Cakewalk, Logic or Samplitude. Or that would attract some moneybags company looking for a aquisition like what happened to Steinberg and e-Magic.

Is that really what you want????

:D

I don’t believe the 1500 figure. There are 900 some registered users on the board. I figure 1/3 are garbage logins. So that is 600 people. You mean to tell me that roughly half of all users register on the board? I doubt that. I bet there is more like 15-25% on the board. So that puts him at about 10,000 users which is more like it. Imagine 4-5 registrations a day times 365. That’s 1500 in less than a year. N-rack has been out for 6 years or so. I have to imagine the number is higher than 1500.

I’m with Mike on the smaller/better thing.

I also agree with Bubba, that the 1500 number is low.
I’m afraid most of this my have been my fault. I responded to a post that stated take the money and run, due to a disgruntled user, about Flav.
I just put that figure out there to show he’s not making that much money on this. I got the number from my memory before the last crash, registered users. So by that token the number probably is higher, but the point i made remains the same.

keep trackin’

jerm

Here is what i got from c-net alone!
245,712 downloads.
What percentage registered as I did?
Believe me when I tell you the fasoft team CAN handle the work load.

CNET > Downloads > Windows > Search results for n-track
Search results 1-1 of 1
RE-SORT BY: Name Date added User rating CNET rating
How we rate Downloads
Total | Last week
Availability

N-Track Studio 4.0
Record multitrack MIDI and WAV audio.
File Size: 4.88MB
License: Free to try, $49.00 to buy
10/07/2004

Download Now

Click to buy

Well, here’s my 2 cents. No need to flame - I’m a dedicated and loyal n user and have been for some time.

I think n fills a gap that is actually quite small. That is, people like us who just want to get on with it; plug the guitar in, the mic in, the keyboard in, etc., push rec and go. Not too complex, a simple workflow. And not have to break the bank to do it. But to really get the most out of the program you have to at least have a pretty good idea about how to structure and record (produce?) music in the first place. By the same token however, if you want to get down to a greater professional level of functionality, I think you (1) will probably be willing to spend more and (2) you might not be willing to accept some of the bugginess that is inherent in n. So that leaves n’s marketplace as somewhere between Karaoke people who just want to record themselves and people who are ready to seriously invest in a piece of professional software.

>>>>edit added here<<<<<<<
I reread this and I’m not implying that n is not a professional piece of software.
>>>>edit over<<<<<<<

Whether fair or not, the perception of n (when a perception exists) is that it is the wannabe of Sonar, Cubase SX, FL studio, Logic (well that is Mac only), etc. And I’ve had some experience with those sequencers, and they are, in my experience and the experiences of others I know who have used those products, significantly more stable and functional out of the box than n.

Also, n doesn’t come bundled with a lot of value-added plug in stuff. Some of the stuff Steniberg sticks in with their various products frickin smoke.

OK, here’s the caveats:
I’m a registered user of v 3.3 - obviously I can see that n is trying to keep up with the big boys with stuff like the freeze functionality - I don’t know if the new version would significantly change my reasoning here or not. (Is n doing plug-in latency compensation yet?)

I’ve never registered any of the big boys - can’t justify the cost yet - my thoughts are based on using friend’s systems and feedback from pros I know using these systems, not from dealing with my own registered version.

I here ya, an intermidiate peice heh?

So if I get this Calkewalk, or sonar program, and press record on it.
My Pc is somehow gonna majicly record something different than Ntrack?

I guess you right though, in your comparison.
I wouldn’t know, I only use it to save ideas, and would never expect to get a proffesional recording at home,(IMHO, that’s what they high priced studios are for).

I guess their are people out there that expect a studio recording for $45 bucks, but in my reality it’s simply not so.

It is what it is, and you can’t compare it to all the high priced programs, (and their bundle software) ‘cause it’s not a high priced program.

I would never compare a honda to a mercedies regardless of the price difference, apples and oranges in my book.

I’m not tryin’ to flame you either, and do appreiciate your thoughts.
Now you have mine. :laugh:

jerm

Jerm:

No offense - you actually confirmed my thoughts. N is right where it I would expect it to be market wise.

I wouldn't know, I only use it to save ideas, and would never expect to get a proffesional recording at home,(IMHO, that's what they high priced studios are for).

Times have changed, and such a thing as a pro home recording is far from impossible, you(Jerm) should update your expectations along with your version of N-track perhaps:)

regards
Quote (stormboy @ Feb. 17 2005,18:45)
I wouldn't know, I only use it to save ideas, and would never expect to get a proffesional recording at home,(IMHO, that's what they high priced studios are for).

Times have changed, and such a thing as a pro home recording is far from impossible, you(Jerm) should update your expectations along with your version of N-track perhaps:)

regards
Perhaps your right, stormboy.

Truth be known I'm not much of an engineer type. Recording music actually takes all the joy out of it for me.
I prefer to pay someone with the nec. skills and equipment to take that burden off my shoulders. That way I can keep enjoying what I like doing, playing.

For someone who get's into this stuff, ya, I see your point.

jerm

Im here since the forum was not php, and i remember a lot of folks that post and are not here. I believe that there are more that 1500 users of ntrack (actives or in the past) not including ones that use ilegal copies.(yes they exist)

If you want see some “flashbacks” of the old forums, go here:
http://web.archive.org/web…ard.cgi

or search in web archive about “fasoft.com” and then click the forum link.

Here’s my $0.02 for what its worth.

I’ve been using n for the last 3 years (since 3.0.5) and haven’t bothered with the plunge to v4, because 3.3 does everything I need without causing me grief. I fit exactly into the “just want to plug my instrument in and get on with it” category, and n does that.

However, it is true that n suffers in comparison with some other low-end sequencers. For example, I have just won Magix Music Studio 2004 in a competition (that had nothing whatever to do with music), which retails for £49 here in the UK.

The package comes boxed, on CD and, in addition to the sequencer itself, includes several mastering plug-ins, vocal corrector, a massive selection of VST FX plugs and some pretty decent VST instruments; piano, bass, others. Not world-shattering by any means, but easily good and powerful enough for the likes of me.

I can’t help feeling that n suffers in comparison to the likes of MMS due to this lack of added extras, and the fact that you have to go download and register the thing online, whereas others can be picked up off the shelf at your local store.

Personally, I am happy to trawl the web (and take pointers off this board) for good FX and instrument plug-ins to try, but not everyone is - and having the whole lot in a box ready to install with a few clicks is a great selling point.

Of course, the fact that n still costs around half MMS is another good selling point for me, but a quick comparison of the features lists will probably tempt others to the boxed equivalents.

Incidentally, MMS has so far sat mostly unused on my HD, as I still prefer n-Track. However, I could do much the same work with either.

Personally I am a very very happy n track user and have been for about 4 years. I recommend it to every musician I meet.
But here is the truth: most people dont REALLY want ot put all the time and energy into contructing songs that is required. We just wanna have fun. And whats wrong with that
So I would nt be surprised if there were only 1000 or so serious users of n track.

Flavio is a star and has always responded to every stupid email Ive sent him. I suspect if he WAS a millionaire he would have the snse to carry on the way he alwys has.

What this all boils down to is " if its not broke why fix it ?)"

BTW I came to this forum I thought it would be full of " who wants me to put drum tracks down for em ?"

I play guitar bass guitar alto sax and sing. I can’t drum and Im sick of robot drummers. I have 18 good songs which would all be better with real drummers.

Quote (vhdof @ Feb. 17 2005,16:57)

OK, here's the caveats:
I'm a registered user of v 3.3 - obviously I can see that n is trying to keep up with the big boys with stuff like the freeze functionality - I don't know if the new version would significantly change my reasoning here or not. (Is n doing plug-in latency compensation yet?)

N has been doing plugin compensation for several years now since at least version 3.1.9 . I have yet to upgrade to 4.x, but from the looks of things, the time is right. Give me MIDI music notation editing and a few other MIDI editing features (Change note lengths, ability to chagne multiple MIDI tracks such as sliding all tracks so many measures, scaling parameters (increase controller X by so many percent) , interpolation, the basic stuff Cakewalk has done forever. I don't need fancy stuff, just a few basic features and I can leave Cakewalk 9 behind forever.) and I will be a very happy camper.

Ok, I’m gonna go out on a limb and add my own idle speculation here, but I think Flavio has N-track just about where he wants it–the business model, the development cycles, the community, all of it. If he wanted bigger, he would have gotten it. But I think he just enjoys writing this program his way, so that’s what he does, and he just happened to find enough people satisfied enough with this kind of business model to keep him going, however small the financial reward (I’m speculating that he’s not getting “rich” off N-track). And with the addition of the forum’s top voted feature recently, as well as the quick bug fixes, etc., he seems to take the community pretty seriously. But yeah, I can’t say the “N-track way” is for everyone, but my guess is Flavio isn’t really interested in that crowd, anyway, while he is interested in keeping the customer base about where it is now.

Tony

BTW I came to this forum I thought it would be full of " who wants me to put drum tracks down for em ?"

I play guitar bass guitar alto sax and sing. I can't drum and Im sick of robot drummers. I have 18 good songs which would all be better with real drummers.

Checkout http://www.artistcollaboration.com/

There's quite a bit of cross over between there and here and quite a few N-trackers last time I looked.

Mark
Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 18 2005,08:36)
Quote (vhdof @ Feb. 17 2005,16:57)

OK, here's the caveats:
I'm a registered user of v 3.3 - obviously I can see that n is trying to keep up with the big boys with stuff like the freeze functionality - I don't know if the new version would significantly change my reasoning here or not. (Is n doing plug-in latency compensation yet?)

N has been doing plugin compensation for several years now since at least version 3.1.9 . I have yet to upgrade to 4.x, but from the looks of things, the time is right. Give me MIDI music notation editing and a few other MIDI editing features (Change note lengths, ability to chagne multiple MIDI tracks such as sliding all tracks so many measures, scaling parameters (increase controller X by so many percent) , interpolation, the basic stuff Cakewalk has done forever. I don't need fancy stuff, just a few basic features and I can leave Cakewalk 9 behind forever.) and I will be a very happy camper.

Bubba...
Finally took the plunge myself.
Now I don't track in N... I have hardware that does it but...
4.04 kicks royal butt in most aspects that I use it for now.
I can even get 24+ track with plugins running smoothly at less than 10% CPU usage. And if I use the freeze function, the sky is the limit.
I don't know what Flavio did but I A/B my earlier work and it even sounds better.
I'll shut up now and probably won't post again for some time, because I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but my last words are:

Major Kudos for Flavio.

Go play in the mud, kiddies...