16 tracks at once!

Onyx 1620 and Ntrack.

HEy guys!

I just recorded 16 tracks simultaneously using Ntrack version 5.1.1 build 3213 (16bit).

This was done on an Asus computer with very low RAM (one 512mg stick) and a pentiumIII 1.8G processor, along with a bargain basement firewire card I got on ebay for $14.00 U.S.

I have yet to test this out and see if it lags or anything but so far when listening back to all 16 tracks at once the noise floor is low and no pops or clicks.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

That’s a pretty powerful (possibly portable) 16 track gig recorder.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Nov. 23 2009, 4:07 PM)

That's a pretty powerful (possibly portable) 16 track gig recorder.

Amen to dat!

Looking at laptops right now....

This device was completely intuitive with Ntrack, I plugged it in it said new hardware found, I loaded the ASIO driver from Mackie and in seconds I was recording 16 tracks and on a slow computer.
N-track was acting like this thing was it's Ole' buddy first time around when it had fits with previous firewire audio devices.

keep shinin

Which firewire card did you get?

Knock 'em dead, Jeremy!

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Nov. 23 2009, 5:57 PM)

Which firewire card did you get?

The firewiree out card is built into the Mackie, which now you got me thinking because it is a 24bit card and I am only using the 16bit version of Ntrack (being the cheapo I am) so that is odd....that I am not having issues between the two.... :whistle:

if you talking about the card in the computer it is a standard IEEE 1394 Firewire Net Adapter made in china,that runs at 400mbps number 4606.

However, now I am looking for a laptop with built in firewire that is 800mbps.

keep shinin

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 23 2009, 6:10 PM)

Knock 'em dead, Jeremy!

Thanks TOM!

HEy there has been a lot of N-bashing here lately and I just wanted to get on here an pipe out the good news of a success!

Honestly having owned several unreliable firewire interfaces (drop outs, pops, pings, or just bad drivers that crapped out every other day no matter what software I was using, Protracks, Sonar/Cakewalk) I was going to go with a hardware device, like the Tascam or Rolands 16 tracks out there, but they don't double as very handy live boards.....so after much research and many good reviews I want with the Mackie (even tho my heart was set on an Allen Heath or Soundcraft for live gigs) since it fulfilled all the routing needs and had the handy dandy 16 out firewire card built in for home use.

The drivers seem real stable, if I can run it on this machine it really is an accomplishment in itself, and Ntrack is up to the challenge, seems to be loving it quite frankly what I am hearing is, "this is awesome, why didn't you put me to the test earlier?"

I may run some side by side test tomorrow with some guitar and vocal tracks (with my soundcraft) just to see the comparison in pre-amp and noise floor, people have been commenting on my low noise floor with the tracks lately that I did with the soundcraft, so I may end up keeping it in the side-wing if the Mackie is not as warm or comparable.

BTW, if anyone is wondering after watching several of these go on Ebay for between $700-800 in the last few months I got this one by a fluke on Craigslist but had to drive down to philly (about an hour) to get it for $550.(which is about what I would have paid for a Allen and Health Mixwix or a comparable Soundcraft Spirit M12 with no interfaces)

Live album coming out this spring..... :)

keep shinin

Quote:

The firewiree out card is built into the Mackie, which now you got me thinking because it is a 24bit card and I am only using the 16bit version of Ntrack (being the cheapo I am) so that is odd....that I am not having issues between the two....

Yeh - I was looking at those Mackies and the firewire cards for them are like
$300 - and I'm going huh?
What's the deal? Is this so you can use the mixer as a control surface as well? - like the Mackie Onyx-i series?

here's a page showing the firewire 400 and 800 connectors.

firewire connectors
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Nov. 23 2009, 10:22 PM)

Quote:

The firewiree out card is built into the Mackie, which now you got me thinking because it is a 24bit card and I am only using the 16bit version of Ntrack (being the cheapo I am) so that is odd....that I am not having issues between the two....

Yeh - I was looking at those Mackies and the firewire cards for them are like
$300 - and I'm going huh?
What's the deal? Is this so you can use the mixer as a control surface as well? - like the Mackie Onyx-i series?

here's a page showing the firewire 400 and 800 connectors.

firewire connectors

YEp, it is an internal card mounted in the mixer that takes the signals post or pre fade/insert (your choice) without involving any snakes or other audio conversion devices.

Yes, the cards by themselves are expensive, so are the mixers, this was the model before the i-series, (they also had a 1640 which had 16 XLR ins) the manufacture date on mine says April 2009, so it is a few months old and now out of production.
I just got lucky with this one, like I said been monitoring Ebay for months now.....could have got a mixer or two for around $420 last week,(they retailed for 899, and saw one card in the last few weeks go for just under 300 with shipping -used. (but to get them both together was rare)

keep shinin