2 questions for drummers about hihats

?

I have this inexpensive set of cymbals that came with my garage sale drums, the hi hats are Sabian, the bottom one has holes in it. What are they for - to vent to get faster “chicks”? That was question number one.

Here’s number 2: The bottom one also has rivits in it, like a sizzle ride might have. I’ve never seen anything like that before (not that I know anything about drums) , and I was wondering how common that is, what the purpose for them is, and what would happen if I just cut them and got rid of them.

OK, that was four questions. :)

It sounds like these aren’t really high hat cymbals but small sizzlers. If you don’t like the sound, you can cut the rivets out (be careful not to split the holes). Obviously, these aren’t going to be the best high hat brass you’ve ever owned but it will probably work. Are you going to sample them? If so, just download a sample somewhere else.
If you are recording them, place a small condenser mic or maybe a dynamic like a SM57 about half way in on the bottom cymbal. You will get a nice, crisp sound. Of course you can EQ out the nasties if need be post-production. Remember the watch your levels carefully if you don’t have a limiter.
If you have any drum mic questions, just drop by my web site and drop me a line:
http://www.bobtailsoftware.com

Those are probably AA Sizzle hats (are not inexpensive if they are): http://www.sabian.com/english/cymbals/Cymbal_Catalog.cfm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…1

Quote (TomS @ Jan. 15 2005,17:58)
I have this inexpensive set of cymbals that came with my garage sale drums, the hi hats are Sabian, the bottom one has holes in it. What are they for - to vent to get faster "chicks"? That was question number one.

Here's number 2: The bottom one also has rivits in it, like a sizzle ride might have. I've never seen anything like that before (not that I know anything about drums) , and I was wondering how common that is, what the purpose for them is, and what would happen if I just cut them and got rid of them.

OK, that was four questions. :)

:cool: As for question #1 I love those faster "chicks" and some of those who wear those tassley paste ons too! :D
Quote (phoo @ Jan. 16 2005,18:10)
Those are probably AA Sizzle hats (are not inexpensive if they are): http://www.sabian.com/english/cymbals/Cymbal_Catalog.cfm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....1

Dang, I'm going to go look now, jeepers, glad I asked, it'd be just like me to hack apart a 200 set of cymbals!

:D

Thanks for the info, guys! And thanks for the micing tips, jm! I will check out your link after I go look at the cymbals!

OK, phoo, they say “AAfusion” on them - an older version of the AA sizzle? ???

Hi jmhester:
I like the site you have … The page is tough to load for me…though… I have a telephone line plugged into a modem… The page takes a while to open but once opened, it looks great… I like the “Modeler”… Can you elaborate on how it works and how you describe it’s behaviour with say, a S/B standard audio card and just what kind of speaker set-up one should use to get the best performance from useing software like that to preview your mixes?

Bill…

[EDIT]
I have a bunch of questions about the use of the .dll files and wheather-or-not they could be used with various Host Utilities… and Audio Editors??

Mabey, this is not the place to discuss this…

AA Fusion hats are right below the AA Sizzles in the current online Sabian catalog (the direct link won’t work for me for some reason…but it is correct). The only difference I can see is the lack of sizzles. Maybe someone added them later to yours, or Sabian changed their line (happens a LOT). You still have some good hi-hats unless this was a do-it yourself sizzle job (I suspect) and they didn’t do a a good job. It still won’t hurt to take them out if you don’t like the sound.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…5

Or perhaps they did a mix ‘n’ match thing, bottom from a sizzle, top from a fusion. Anyway, I hate to say it, given how much they cost, but I do not like the sound at all. Say, what do you use to clean your cymbals, and how much of a difference does it make?

Thanks for the great help! :)

I use Brasso or Mr Metal. It does make some sound difference, depending on the cymbal, but not a heck of a lot unless they are really dirty. A lot of drummer like the warmer sound of dirty cymbals though.

What do they sound like? I use Sabian AA Regular hats by the way. I can’t imagine sizzles on a hi-hat. I’ve never heard them, that I knew was them.

I don’t particularly like hi-hats that let the air escape, like the ones with the sound edges. I suppose the holes might to the same kind of thing, which is to make them too brittle in my opinion.

Rivets would make them louder and that would be the exact opposite of what I’d be looking for. I want an anti-hi-hat mic.

I’ve been seriously thinking of getting some 13" or 12" hi-hats for recording, but I like the tone of the ones I have. Keeping it out of the snare mic is a challenge.

Well, I’m no hi hat expert, but they sound trashy to me. The rivits add too much trash after the hit. that’s the best description I can come up with. They are also too dark and lack articulation to me. I really like the sound of Zildjian new beat HH, or even the quick beats - they are also vented on the bottom, and are great for people who can really play a hi hat well. That would not be me of course…

:)

Take the rivets out and clean 'em up then. They shouldn’t be dark unless they are really trashed. Sometimes darker is better though. Wait until you record them without the rivets before passing total judgment. They might mix in well.

Funny you should mention them: My other hi-hats are New Beats (two pairs). They are a bit heavy for recording compared to the Sabian AA’s Regulars. Too chicky for the way I play. They are perfect for live and are what I used for most of my former pro-drummer career. New Beats are essentially two bottoms of the regular hi-hats Zyldjian use to sell at the time New Beats were introduced. They are the norm now.

Well, I guess I just love chicks. :)

Thanks for the help phoo! I don’t think I’m up to cutting out rivits on an instrument that costs that much. I gotta cogitate on that one.

one trick i used for isolating the hats is to only mic the bottom of the snare and use a clip on mic (to the rim of the snare) facing away from the snare (dynamic mic)pointed right at the hats-works better than the old method.

Those sizzle hats seem like maybe a jazz thing?
PB

Don’t you get too much of the snares that way, Pastor?

I too would guess the sizzles to be a jazz thing. I, of course, cannot swing for the life of me. Never could play jazz. :)

Actually, insteat of a jazz thing, it is much moe of a hard rock thing so that when the hats are open you can get that really trashy sound everyone uses in heavy music where guys ride on crash cymbals or open hats. As for hats, Zildjian A Customs are my babies.

With a little gating, not always needed, I don’t seen to hear much of the snares. maybe its just getting lost in the mix!
One thing might be that i close mic the bottom head (like 1/2 inch away) on the edge, away from the snares.

You know, Bubba, it seems to me that the “trashy” sound works best with cymbals that have a nice sound. But the rivits are just trash, in my ear. Actually, you know what these really sound like? Early recordings by the Impressions with Curtis Mayfield, songs like Fool For You. One thing is certain, trying to keep the hats out of the snare mic encourages a light hand on them. :)

Pastor, do you gate it so that the decay of the snares is cut off?

You know, Bubba, it seems to me that the "trashy" sound works best with cymbals that have a nice sound. But the rivits are just trash, in my ear.

That's what the metal boys want......