24 Bit Playback

Replace Turtle Beach Santa Cruz?

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the 24 bit version of n-track (and to version 4 at the same time) because I purchased an ST Audio M-Port 3000. The only problem is that my current “normal” sound card, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz seems unable to play 24 bit sources. So my questions are:

1) Is there a way to be able to play my 24 bit recordings through my Santa Cruz? Currently when I chose my Santa Cruz for playback I get the "Error opening Wave device. Make sure the sampling frequency…"

The only way I got it to “sortof” work was to set the playback in the playback VU meter to 16 bits. It played, but the playback sounds like an old Atari game (not like a nice acoustic guitar) :D

2) I need to maintain the Dolby Digital playback capability, so if the answer to the question above is “no”, a natural replacement for the santa cruz seems to be the Montego DDL. This card should be able to play the 24 bit sources right?? http://www.turtlebeach.com/site…me.asp

Any other cards that have the required 6.1 outputs on the back to send to my speakers that you can recommend?

Thanks,
FD

bump, sorry.

I’m really just trying to make sure that I don’t go out and buy a new sound card if I don’t have to.

Thanks,
FD

I have zero first-hand experience with the Santa Cruz, but according to the specs, it doesn’t do 24-bit at all, so you won’t be able to get 24-bit sources to play back correctly in n-Track (though I guess you’ve gotten it to play back something at least, which is interesting).

Also, it looks like the Montego will play 24-bit, but only records at 16-bit. Don’t know how important this is to you, but it’s definitely something to consider.

You might check out the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS series–they do 7.1, 24-bit/96kHz record/playback, and some are around the same price as the Montego. Check out the specs chart.

HTH!

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Yeah recording’s not too much of a problem, but you’re right to point it out because you never know.

I’ve looked at the Audigy 2 ZS as well. At least I know I pretty much have to geta new card (that there’s no software solution).

Thanks for the comments.

-Andrew

The Audigy2 ZS is a great piece of hardware, and I have one.

But the Creative software is the pits, (unless you go for the Platinum pro that is).

But, there’s lot’s of alternate drivers for the Sblive/Audigy family, KX probably being the most popular, but as far as I’m aware, none of them completely exploit the hardware potential.

So if you’re happy to bugger about with different drivers, etc., the plain standard Audigy2ZS can give you 24/96 and 8 simultaneous inputs.

But, it’s a lot of work! :D

Ali