24bit recording and plugins

An “all purpose” suite for 24 bit ?

Hiya all,

I have decided to take the plunge and switche from 16 to 24 bit recording using a Delta 66 card I have been using for years to do 16 bit recording.

My question is hwat would be a good suite of plugins to purchase, in the vein of the old Waves bundles which will work on 24 bit tracks (without sending me bankrupt)? (all the basics reverb, compression, chorus etc) Is there a group of freeware plugs which will do this in 24 bit?

Cheers

Yeah. Try http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/

Willy.

Hey thanks Willy, that really hit the spot! Don’t you just love this forum??

Heheh, yeah. This topic needs to be in the wiki…

Check out the gencomp and grancomp as well - also free, more bells on them than the kjerhaus comp.

And of course, for reverb and convolution in general, SIR. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Is there a group of freeware plugs which will do this in 24 bit?

In general, I don’t think you need a special type of plug in to go with your 24-bit recordings.
All internal data will be 32-bit precision or better anyway :)

Virtually all plugins are 32-bit float format, the same format as used by n-Track internally. Your old 16-bit and new 24-bit tracks are all converted to 32-bit float format on the fly before being fed to the plugins.

Both VST and DX formats have options for supporting different bit depths in the data stream, but n-Track always uses 32-bit float – it won’t work with a plugin that doesn’t support that format. Furthermore, I hear that trying to use any of the other formats is pretty much a nightmare because the implementation rules are complicated and poorly documented, and very little work has been done in this direction. In the future, we’ll see 64-bit plugins start to take hold, but I think that’s still a couple years off, and rather unnecessary for the home recording market anyway.

My guess is that if you have a good set of plugins, they’ll still work just fine. But if you don’t care for the plugins you have, you may want to upgrade. There’s an astounding amount of good free and cheap stuff available, but it does take quite a bit of time & effort to sift through all the possibilities!

In my experience, the Kaerjhus plugs along with SIR reverb with some good impulse files will get you a long, long way… I had some Waves plugs demos for a while and they were nice but much $$$$. I don’t know if they would REALLY be worth it. Not when that money would be better spent on the front end of the signal chain. Great effects on a crappy track recorded with crappy mics & preamps in a crappy room yeilds a crappy track processed with great effects. Net result is still a crappy track.

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Check out the gencomp and grancomp as well - also free, more bells on them than the kjerhaus comp.

Go a link for those? Couldn’t find them on google. Probably should have tried KVR…