32-bit plugins in 64-bit ntrack

is it possible?

Will it ever be possible to use 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit application like ntrack? I want to use the 64-bit version of ntrack, and i have it working nicely, but, all my favourite plugins don’t work in it because it doesn’t support 32-bit plugins. i haven’t tried writing 64-bit programs myself yet since i only just got the hardware for it, but i was wondering if it is possible to run a 32-bit thread or application natively from a 64-bit application. my guess is that it is possible but ridiculously tricky. anyone have a comment?

Apparently this is possible as Sonar has something called “Bitbridge” to do exactly this. This is from the Cakewalk 64-bit site:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Technology Spotlight: SONAR 5’s BitBridge
Concerned about the lack of plug-ins available with native x64 versions? Don’t be. SONAR 5’s BitBridge™ enables the use of 32-bit VST effects and instruments in SONAR’s 64-bit environment. BitBridge technology extends the viability and use of your favorite VST plug-ins; ensures future compatibility of freeware, even for the most obscure, independently developed shareware plug-ins.

Ta
John

i’m rather doubtful about flavio adding this support, but i hope he proves me wrong. what do you think?

I’m wondering if it would be possible to create a 64-bit VST wrapper that would run 32-bit VSTs - that way it would be host software independent. Perhaps someone will - it’s a long way beyond my programming skills!

(kevinkreiser @ Jun. 09 2007,14:20)
Will it ever be possible to use 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit application like ntrack? I want to use the 64-bit version of ntrack, and i have it working nicely, but, all my favourite plugins don't work in it because it doesn't support 32-bit plugins. i haven't tried writing 64-bit programs myself yet since i only just got the hardware for it, but i was wondering if it is possible to run a 32-bit thread or application natively from a 64-bit application. my guess is that it is possible but ridiculously tricky. anyone have a comment?

Huh? Are we talking about how the plug in is coded or its internal processing of the audio?

We’re talking about how it’s coded - as I understand it n-track already deals with converting 64-bit to 32-bit for internal processing of VSTs.

This topic is confusing.

First, there are two kinds of “64-bit” programs: 64-bit PROGRAMS, and 64-bit AUDIO PATH. Which are we talking about here? They’re completely unrelated. (I’m still using nTrack v4, where it’s not an issue.)

We must be talking about 64-bit vs. 32-bit binaries (programs). The problem is that you can’t link a 32-bit DLL into a program compiled to run in 64-bit mode; you get a link error (or that’s my understanding – any Windows experts please correct me if I’m mistaken!) The “bridge” mentioned above must be a separate program that runs alongside SONAR, that hosts the VST plugins, passing the audio data (regardless of 32-bit or 64-bit audio path) between SONAR and the plugins.

Any properly written VST host that supports 64-bit audio path plugins should also support 32-bit audio path plugins. The standard allows the host to ask which kind it is and feed it the correct data format (but the host has to convert on the fly, so it’s more CPU intensive). Since currently most plugins assume a 32-bit interface and convert to 64 bits internally, it’s probably best to just run in 32-bit audio mode for a couple years, until most of the plugins you use support 64 bit mode – then they’ll actually run faster than in 32-bit mode.

So we must be talking about the program binary type, not the audio path (which is what I believe jmccullo is talking about, and he’s correct in that context).

I also don’t have a computer that runs 64-bit binaries so I don’t know much about the practical issues, but I bet you can run n-Track as a 32-bit binary and run all your favorite plugins without any trouble. Or we’d have seen a lot of screaming on this forum that we didn’t see.