'70's Plastic Project

Re-Mastering using n-Track v5

Hi n-Trackers:
I;m working on a '70’s Plastic Project… I have the songs ripped from the record and I’m in the process of doing whatever to the files to transfer the songs to a CD… My plan is to use the latest builds of n-Track as Flavio posts them… The first song is on the timeline where I have the db Audio DX compressor/limiter as the only plug-in to process the file…

I have converted the file to an mp3 and a link to where the song is posted is HERE or HERE

This recording was done in the mid '70’s, I believe… Some thirty years ago… Well…

I’m looking for feedback on the technical aspect of the file… as… I am unable to do little-if-anything with the mix… I should be able to play with the levels, EQ, and overall frequency bandwidth of the file… So some suggestions from you might help me in getting started on the end-product of this project… What are you hearing and what if anything can be done to this file to get me pointed in the right direction? Thanks for your input…

Bill…

Hi Bill.

Great to know someone are doing something to keep those old songs alive…

As for the technical aspect of things, I think it is very heavy on the treble and missing some bass and midrange, at least on my (not perfect) speakers. Did you put a RIAA postfiltering on it before uploading? Or maybe time just got the better of those frequencies in the grooves…

regards, Nils

Hi Bill

Same here as Nils - no middle or bass to speak of coming out.
Cheers Barry

Hi Guys:
I ripped/recovered the tracks from a turntable using a Shure M70EJ cartridge plugged into a Marantz model 3200 pre-amp line/tape-out and then into a S/B Live 5.1 line-in Card… The record was one a very few left from the pressing run and never opened… from the pressing company… I’d say early-to-mid '70’s… The surface noise is what was there… I have the Har-Bal Harmonic Balancer… I just need to know how to apply the editor now to gain the overall “End Product”…

That’s what I appear to be hearing, as well… I’d like to “roll Off” some “HAT” frequencies, including the Harmonics of that center frequency… I’m not sure how to approach the “Bottom End”… but that’s how I hear it, as well…

If I could make the Bottom End behave then I think I might have some perspective on what-or-how to get the upper harmonics to “sit” with the bandwidth… I haven’t taken the project into the studio yet… but if I can get this song sitting right, I’d make a reference file with the Har-Bal Analyzer and I think I might be off to the races… Well…

I’ve taken on the project to learn how to use the Har-Bal Analyzer Software… This Editor isn’t so easy to learn how it works… It’s pretty Deep… well, for me… We’ll see… It’s all new-to-me…

It seems to me that phoo has a version of it… I have v2.2, or the one that got posted this summer…

I’m on a dial-up… but maybe I could post a compressed file of the .wav file and let some of you tear it to bits…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Nils K:
I think I know what you’re suggesting … regarding the RIAA Filter… but I didn’t address that aspect of the file that is posted to that link… It’s just as the S/B audio card “SAW” that analogue signal… from the Marantz Pre-Amp… How might I condition that file so as to give the .wav file a better chance at hearing what’s there?

Bill, I think that this page has some suggestions you might find useful. It does cover Cool Edit 2000, but the advice is quite generic, and should apply no matter what software you use…

regards, Nils

Hi nils K:
Thanks for that reply… and link… I see the information covered, in there… It looks like CoolEdit pro is required for this process… I think I have a version of it from way back before n-Track… I don’t remember the version or the year… Could it be 10 years ago?

The application I used to rip the record is called PolderbitS… Latest version… ?? However, I’ve never used the utilities that come with the utility. But It does have some “Crackle-and-Pop” Editors… and all…

I’ll be looking into this process as the project takes hold…

Today, I got into the studio and got the P-4 fired up and got the XP Desk up-and-current… with virus definitions and n-Track build and all… so that’s done… I imported the project folder and .wav files… That’s done… I got another mix and conversion to .mp3 from how I hear the song there… I’m gonna post the latest mix that I did today… It takes a while to get it up there with a dial-up… I think it (the mix) has less Hi-end spectrum to it but it still lacks Sub- bottom end… I think… Well… That’s what I’m hearing… The Lo-mids and Mids are somewhat cleaner… Well…??

This is where the project is posted

I think If I gonna spend some time with this project I may as well do IT half right… ??? :O :)

I’ve never played with CoolEdit Pro… :O ???

Bill…

Hi n-Trackers:
I’ve been pretty busy today… Working on this '70’s Plastic Project… I have completed a couple of steps toward the completion of this Mastering Project… This is a “Test” project using some software that is New-to-Me and some New-to-Me Processing using the latest builds of N-Track v5 as Flavio posts them… The project was originally started in v4.2.1 build 2099… maybe, a bit earlier… I didn’t make note of the build it was started in… In the future, I will log that information… somewhere…

I have a print screen posted showing the completion of the last step of the process. There are a couple of steps remaining that I want to include in the project… I’ve spent about 6 hours on these steps of the project today using this P-111 Editing machine with an XP Home desk and build 2164… I’m trying as much as I can not to use the studio and DAWs in there…

The P-111 and build 2164 has worked flawlessly on this project today… I’m into the 7th hour… quite a bit more time than I’ve spent at any one time in the past and for some time… It’s pretty fatiguing on the ears and mental concentration for me to spend that much time at one sitting…

Anyway, I have the print screen link to show on this posting, as I wait for the mp3 file to finish uploading…

All of the songs in the project appear on the same timeline… That way I can solo any song in order to grasp a feel of how the songs sound in any order and in the correct order that the songs appear in the completed project…

To do that it means “Muting” all the songs on the timeline and then solo’ing the song you want to hear at any-one-time…

An mp3 @ 192 kbs res. of the 8th song in the project and the one that the print screen shows can be found

Here WhoEverFindsThis mp3 Song # 8 in the project…

As much as I can tell… the continuity from song-to-song is pretty close… It’s the “Overall” bandwidth of the songs in the project that is in question… The first song and the one that got posted earlier in this project didn’t seem to have any mid-range and bottom end… The approach I took today should have some of that “FIXED”. I hope…

If any of you got the time. I’m open to criticism and suggestions regarding what you hear and any suggestions on what you think might improve it’s sonic structure…

Bill…

[EDIT]
The next step in the project is to Re-Render each song after a day-or-two’s rest and maybe add some"Image" adjustment plug-in and sweeten/tweek the EQ. of the songs… We’ll see?? :O :;):