'98SE Desk Help

Boot-up Issue…

Hi Geeks:
What happened to this '98SE desk?

I am unable to get beyond the Post-up and on to the Windows Screen…

At a point-in-time, IT says that there is a file missing in the system .ini

The file is Z:vvinesd.386

It says that this file no longer exists… it’s used for running a windows .app

If and IT says that by pressing any key I can then continue booting to the Desk… which then … The Desk Appears…

I’d like to be able to fix this issue without re-installing the Desk…

Is there someone here on the Board that can Step me through the process of locating this file and installing IT so this Operating System can Boot-up normally? Thanks for any replies that I might receive…

Bill…

Hi Bill, putting vvinesd.386 in google, the first entry is a microsoft solution, appear to be, to the problem:
google for vvinesd.386
Basically, you need to delete this entry from the registry and system ini. Hope it helps.

Hi marce:
Thanks for your quick reply… I’m gonna go into the studio and see if I can handle this issue… It’s not a serious one… but if I don’t address IT then, another one will pop-up and then It’ll go from Bad-to-Worse… And then … What next? It can only happen to me…

If I’m careful, I might be able to DO-This… If not Where can I find a hammer so I can “Nail” my little toe?

Bill…

Hi Marce:
I opened the link and read up on the issue… I went into the P-111 '98SE desk and followed the prompts … IT took me to the end of the prompts where I went into the Registry and deleted the folder. I rebooted the desk and IT worked just fine. Now I have some DOS lines, at boot-time that I’d like to remove/edit… rem, things… ?? I haven’t taken notes on this stuff… But anyway, I can boot from post-up to the desk… Just great…

Thanks for your help on this matter… I don’t know how I would have found the fix for this on my own…

Bill…

Good it can help one of the -few?- users of w98, like me, that still exists.

Hi marce:
It’s gonna be tough for me when that operating system goes, and is no longer around. As little as I know about operating systems I could always format the drive and start all over as though nothing was ever wrong. But these later desks don’t seem to operate that way… and your privcey is traded away to microsoft… Well…

Every-so-often I see a little shield down on my TaskBar… where microsoft is downloading something on my C Drive… and checking to see what I’m UP-TO. ??? ??? :(

Wouldn’t IT be nice if only they were only doing my “Spell-Checking”… ??? :p

Bill…

Bill, Marce,
I still use Win98SE myself, so shoot me (a post, ahem) if ya need me. Heck I still also have Win3.11 and Win95B on my other machines. I hope the help and kindness is two-way … or three-way (that doesn’t sound right, heh).

Well, we can found the w98se club :D
Hey, there are things i dont like from XP, but in any moment i will going to it, but i believe that will be when i upgrade my hardware. Installing XP in an old machine dont seems a good idea.

Hi Guys:
I’m thinking about this issue, as I reply to this topic… There’s some pretty clever '98SE operators out there. They’ll never loose their knowledge of that operating system but after a while they’ll fade away and whatever… I know there’ll be lots of '98SE forums, but they’ll splinter up and knowing who to go to for audio questions regarding '98SE will be tough to find.

Mabey, some reference to guys who still use '98SE as a Desk for Audio might be important to post on this n-Track wiki… After IT’s gone… '98SE who’s gonna know, or even be interested?

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot… marce…

I have these two P-111’s, that I’ve installed XP as a Desk… Now, these aren’t “Lightening” machines… but the Desks seem to operate with little-or-no issues… I haven’t gotten into tweeking them up for Audio… They just run as they were installed… Well…