'98SE P-4 Desk..

Up-and-Running…

Hi n-Trackers:
I’m here tonight reporting that I have the '98SE desk of this rebuilt Asus/ Intel 1.7 mhz. P-4 Dual Boot computer up-and-running with v4.2 build 2090…

IT was a very long haul… I’m mentally exhausted… I need a break from this thing… BIG Time…

After I reached a “Stable Desk” I installed n-Track v3.3 build 1516… and… up-dated n-Track from there… installing different versions of Install Wrappers and NET Framework till I finished with build 2090… There is even an “Install HOT-FIX” that had to be loaded to get the install wrapper to load build 1811 on the Desk…

I have reached just the tip of the iceburg… There is lots of testing and config’ing and plug-ins to load till I get it looking and running as I like to see IT behave… But I’m on the way, now…

I am now at a point where I can install the Lexicon Core-32 audio Hardware… I’m in no hurrry to get on with this… I don’t want to cause myself any heart aches by makeing any BIG Mistakes… just yet… and… I wantta get used to how the '98SE build behaves… before I go and do something that it wouldn’t like…

I’m getting close to doing a “Clone” of this drive… I don’t wantta have a hard drive failure and loose all this hard work we put into this machine…

Thank you Mark A and tspringer, for all the support you gave me on this rebuild… The feel-and-response of this machine seems so stable… I feel as though I don’t wantta do anything to “Screw-IT UP”… BUt I have to get rough with IT at some point in time to see how it behaves…

I sense that I’m over half-way complete with this Desk… But… I still have the XP Desk to rebuild…

I learned just this morning that a friend of mine had the same failure with his DAW… I don’t know what Mainboard was in his machine but He is rebuilding hs setup with the same Mainboard… He is haveing little-to-no luck with his rebuild… so far… He’s in the Sonar Camp…

Bill…

Hi Bill

Glad to hear that you are up and running again. Man, you had a tough road to go. Yeah, I think that it is a great idea to let the dust settle a little bit before you do anything else. Find any quirks and deal with them now before you add another layer of complexity with new stuff.

T

I feel somewhat proud of myself, if I say-so…

I’m not sure what kind of piano was on my back, but I can get around much easier now that IT’s gone… :O :laugh:

Bill…

I gotta turn in… I need some sleep… ???

Well done Bill. Quick… “ghost” that drive.

Hi Mark:
I know a bunch of these “Loaders” that go back to the P-1 and P-11 days. They worked all day building computers for various computer shops around the area here. I always thought there was something Not Right about these guys… Now… I know…

Theye used to talk about loading computers all day… Then they took their attitude home with them. IT was all '98 and '98SE back in those days… Mostly, these computers were all the same hardware… They were bought by people who Surfed the internet and used printers and word processors. But, they all said that each computer was their own machine… They never worked the same. while being loaded or after they were loaded… Some of these guys took on perminent disabilities… after building these machines all day…

I have this SanDisk 256 meg. MiniCruzer USB drive. IT works on all the Machine/Desks I have… IT worked on this Desk… before… But IT isn’t recognized on this Desk, now… It am unable to make IT work on this setup… The Lexar 128 meg. drive works perfectly… I wonder why that is?

Windows '98SE is for the birds… :O ???

Bill…

Bill

Unlike Win XP, Win 98 SE has no generic driver that works for all for all USB solid state memory devices. In Win 98 you almost always have to install the driver that the manufacterer provided with the USB drive before Windows can use it So the first question is whether you installed the SanDisk driver after your last rebuild…

If you have installed the driver and the SanDisk still isn’t recognized, well then chalk up another Win SE flaw.

T

Yep, what T said.

W98se USB handling was never great.

Hi tspringer:
Thanks for your reply on this… I knew I had them around somewhere… But I went on the SanDisk site looking for anything that I thought would work… NO-GO… I downloaded mabey, 3-4 of what should have worked… Then I started looking around all these drives I have . and sure enough… I found a file that works like a charm…

I think bacause this Desk Build is not a true '98SE Build anymore… the drivers are not gonna work for what the Hardware people have designed them to do… Who Knows??? Anyway, The MiniCruzer 256 meg drive is up-and-running…

I’m gonna be loading plug-ins over the next few days… That’ll keep me busy…

The networking and LAN and Modem on this build works like a charm… Much better then the last '98SE build that was on this machine. I have the option of connecting to the Internet through the modem/dialup or… through the LAN Network… I don’t think I had this option on the other build…

One thing the LAN connection doesn’t allow me to do is… Enter the Program Folder of the XP Boot Drive to manipulate any files that are there… I’d like to be able to change any config. or any other files that are there through the LAN connection… from another machine on the network… Is there a workaround for doing this?

The built-in audio card works very well… I’m surprised… I have a S/B 5.1 card as well… But all of this can only work at 16-bit reselution… I need to get busy and load the Lexicon Core-32 Hardware…

I need to address this “Ghosting”/“Cloneing” of this drive expressed to me in LayMan’s Terms…

I know little -if-anything about how this works…

Right now… and at this moment… the drive properties say that the used space of this drive is 2.51 gigs… out of an 80 gig. W/D drive…

The used space on this P-111 boot drive is some 13 gigs of used space on a 40 gig. drive…

Is there a “Good” time to decide just when to “Ghost” this P-4 '98SE drive, according to the amount of space that these files occupy? Or, does that even figure into the process?

Bill…

[EDIT]

You know what? YOU TWO… I’m feeling pretty proud of myself… This morning… If I do Say-So… Thanks to YOU TWO… and ALL… I was feeling pretty discouraged regarding this 'SE build over the past wekk-or-so…

Bill

Like Mark said earlier, ghost the drive now. That way if things go awry as you do your next phase of installations, you can roll back to a known working state. But be really careful with the ghosting operation. Read all of the fine print about compatability requirements for hardware and software and make sure that you understand the directions. The ghosting operation itself can cause major problems if things go wrong.

T