'Applause' sound effect to give

live feeling

I’d like to add some sort of crowd applause effect in the background of my song to give it a ‘playing live’ feeling…Know of any plugin that can accomplish this?

Best way is to record a audience applauding.
Add plenty of long reverberation and lower the level and cut the HF end of the spectrum. That way the applause will sound far away and still sound good but not interfere with the song. Use plenty of wet from the reverb but not much dry until the song ends then bring the dry level up higher. Listen carefully to Sgt Pepper from the Beatles to hear how they did it and use a spectrum analyser and your ears.

One of the sounds built into general midi is applause. Not powerfully realistic, but adequate. It is way down, where the sound effects are.

Good luck!
'til next time;
tony w

Want to give a live feeling, record something live with lots of reverb and all. :D

Quote (Dyers @ July 06 2005,01:44)
Want to give a live feeling, record something live with lots of reverb and all. :D

Yes, I did lots of reverb but I also wanted to add crowd noise sound effects as well. Thanks to the other guy for the tip on MIDI applause; I'll give that a shot.

Try these, and blend them in with each other and with the midi crowd as needed.

That could simulate people closer and further away …

Let me know when you’re done so I can take them off the site again. I got them from some royalty free site, but can’t find the links now…

Crowd1

Crowd2

Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ July 06 2005,08:16)
Try these, and blend them in with each other and with the midi crowd as needed.

That could simulate people closer and further away ...

Let me know when you're done so I can take them off the site again. I got them from some royalty free site, but can't find the links now...

Crowd1

Crowd2

Thanks! I save these and will give them a shot.

http://www.sounddogs.com has some good and free samples and a nice search feature. Try searching for “applause” and see what pops up. They are available in MP3 or .wma formats (and others). Thanks go to my amigo, Marce, for the link.

HTH

Don :;):

Quote (lbra73 @ July 06 2005,07:56)
Quote (Dyers @ July 06 2005,01:44)

Yes, I did lots of reverb but I also wanted to add crowd noise sound effects as well. Thanks to the other guy for the tip on MIDI applause; I'll give that a shot.

Well, of course you could invite lots of people over while recording as well. 1. It'll give you the cheering on record.. 2. Musicians playing live sound different then ones just recording in studio.
Quote (Don Gaynor @ July 06 2005,17:23)
http://www.sounddogs.com has some good and free samples and a nice search feature. Try searching for "applause" and see what pops up. They are available in MP3 or .wma formats (and others). Thanks go to my amigo, Marce, for the link.

HTH

Don :;):

Sound Dogs MP3s are very low bit and noisy, unless you pay money for each sample. Works out to be like $4 a single sample!!

Dyers,

You have better ears than me if you can tell noise from applause.

Don

Quote (Don Gaynor @ July 06 2005,20:54)
Dyers,

You have better ears than me if you can tell noise from applause.

Don

I don't quite follow you.

I've recently looked on Soundogs after a suggestion from someone to use it to find the sound for a blimps engine that I needed for a movie soundtrack. The sounds I found were all 8bit 44.1k and very noisy. Luckly, the noise sounded enough like the drone you hear in the air when your flying around uncovered (it was a furturistic blimp with pirates on it of all things).

Dyers,

I meant no offense but, trying to separate noise from an applause clip is tantamount to picking fly dung out of your black pepper shaker. In other words, noise is not much of an issue in this case (within limits, of course). Try running your NR filter on an applause clip and you will have nothing left. As far as the filter is concerned, it’s all noise!

I used some clips from Sounddogs of steam trains and, again, steam trains are mostly noise simply by virtue of the way the real sounds are actually generated (white or pink noise). Noise is pretty much masked by first-generation noise and tend to cancel out. Its the old SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) thing all over again. So if the signal level is high the noise is not much of an issue.

Of course, you are right in the general sense…get the cleanest clips you can find. I still like Sounddogs for the sort of stuff I do. And the price is right, free!

Don :D