4.1.5 out of beta

with build 2031

In case you don’t check the downloads page as often as I do. :sunglasses:

Well, seems like a good time to update my 4.1. Got one song pretty much done and mixed and no hurry with others.

I am curious as to how Flavio decides when a version is no longer “beta”…

Is it safe to assume that the current version is now bug-free?

Never assume ANY software is bug free…

D – Cynic. It’s not just a job…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Is it safe to assume that the current version is now bug-free?

“All non-trivial software has bugs”… which I think is a quote from the book “The art of software testing” by Myers, but it’s about 18 years since I read it.

Oh, and I’ve been in software development for 20 years and even trivial software has bugs!

The more bug free software is made the more non-trivial it becomes.

The statement should be, "All software has bugs."

It’s my job to break software.

<!–QuoteBegin>

It’s my job to break software.

It’s fun, innit?

I don’t write PC apps or anything like that but I do a LOT of PLC and HMI programming. The machines run and make product. The owner/operators are happy… but I go back and look at some code, sometimes YEARS later and go DOH! Man I wonder why this thing has not bombed??? :D

Phoo? Stay away from my users! :D

D

I’m evil and I love it…that’s how I got the job. :D

“Stay close to your friends; stay closer to your ‘enemies’…”

:)

-Sun Tzu

<!–QuoteBegin>

n-Track Studio version 4.1.5 Build 2032 Released - Thursday, January 5, 2006 5:44:00 AM EST, 3 hours ago
Fixed freezing when opening Parametric EQ plug-in

n-Track Studio version 4.1.5 Build 2031 Released - Wednesday, January 4, 2006 11:44:00 AM EST, 21 hours ago
Fixed rare freezing when mixing down or rapidly changing playback position

Two more builds in the two days since Flavio dropped the word “BETA” from the releases…

This was my point to begin with.

What’s the point in dropping the “BETA” tag if he’s still squashing bugs on a regualr basis? The “BETA” and non-“BETA” tags are now meaningless…

my $.02, etc…

Hi All:
I downloaded build 2032 and installed it on my P-111 1.2mhz. “Editing” machine… I see at first observation that the Repro meters have a Peak/Hold Reset of about 1-2 seconds.

It’s not user adjustable, but this is a great up-date for me…

I’d like to see something in the preferences, where the “Reset” of the Peak reading duration/time could be made adjustable to suit the material being “Read”, by the meter, on the time-line…

I have 12 mono tracks… and… 2 stereo tracks on this time-line with 6 Effects on the the Track/Strips and 1 Effect on one of the four groups, the 1 Effect on the Master Strip…

The CPU Useage for this time-line… on this machine, averages between 83-86% … “In-The Red” but runs quite stable… :O :;):

Thank you Flavio, for addressing that VU Repro/Reset feature for me, with v4.1.5 Also, the graduated, higher reselution Feature will find it’s place with me, as well… It’ll take some Getting Used to… But the option to, not use it, is is a nice move…

I’m going back to play with build 2032… :laugh: :;):

Bill…

Quote (Mark A @ Jan. 04 2006,16:18)
"All non-trivial software has bugs"

Actually, that's become the definition for "trivial".

And yes, we can still screw up trivial! :D

I used to follow ACN's symposia on software correctness. There were two camps. Most of the folks were firmly in one camp or the other and thought the other side was completely off their rockers. One side espoused formal testing through theorem proving techniques, and the other was all for testing. Of course, they were both right (their side is useful) and both wrong (in saying the other side was not).

But the fun part was that the proof dudes kept offering these new systems for proving programs correct, complete with trivial test programs that showed how well they worked. And the next month the periodical would come out with dozens of bugs in the supposedly "proven correct" program.

One of my favorites was a program that was proven correct. Unfortunately, it had no output, and on some compilers (even way back in the 80s) produced no code other than the function jacket, because it was all optimized out. How's THAT for correct? :cool:

Ooops -- way off the topic here ... sorry ... I'll get back in line now.

Anyway ... Beta is USUALLY more likely to crash or fail. Other than that, there's no real difference. Oh -- the other difference (with some products) is the way the cusomer support guys LAUGH when you report a bug. Of COURSE it's broken, dude! It's BETA! :D

Note: that would not be me or my empoyers, of course. But I be phoo's heard it! Evil creature that he is.

Quote (Sloom @ Jan. 04 2006,17:46)
“Stay close to your friends; stay closer to your ‘enemies’…”

:)

-Sun Tzu

:;): (Just kidding, phoo!)

Because I am the type that figures bigger is always better and downloading a new version that wont cost me anything even though the old version will do more than I will ever figure out ,I dL the new 4.15. On 3 occasions when I opened a file on different songs the whole n track screen started flickering and I was unable to shut it down or do anything unless I turned the CPU off at the main.Must be one of those bugs.I went back to 4.1 and voila, no more problems. Lesson learned.

Quote (291dw @ Jan. 05 2006,20:45)
I dL the new 4.15. On 3 occasions when I opened a file on different songs the whole n track screen started flickering and I was unable to shut it down or do anything unless I turned the CPU off at the main.

Make sure that you report this directly to Flavio so he can have a look... Though I'm sure he scans these posts from time to time, don't rely on him reading the forum to find bug reports.
:cool: