43 WAV tracks and counting. 1 song.

What’s your limit?

Hi all.
My pc build aint that great but n-T is running like a cheetah in a Lycra body suit.
1 song. 43 tracks. 33% cpu.
Paco! I bet you’ve stacked a good number?

I think the most for me was 32 or 34 tracks for one song. 43 Tracks, got to be a record. Nice going. I’d like to hear it when you have it done.

PACO

i have run to 24 tracks or so in the past, but the number i can do without latency has reduced markedly over time. its inconsistant, but last night i laid down my 4th track, played it back and what do you know, final track was out of time (delayed). no effects, no changes to hardware - WTF? i hate computers. i can only assume as i’ve added applications, files etc over time that the machine just won’t record in real time for multi tracks any more. did i mention i hate computers?

Hi, MONST4. What’s your build? Sound card?

Quote: (TonyR @ May 06 2010, 2:05 AM)

Hi, MONST4. What's your build? Sound card?

hi TonyR,

i have version 5.1.1 build 2308 (don't think i've updated since i registered n-track) and a soundblaster audigy. not real flash i know but it used to work better. i'm, thinking of creating a new patition on my hard drive with windows installed and just n-track, no virus checkers, ethernet cards or multitude of other crap and see if that brings it back to its former glory.

Interesting discussion.
I have hit the low limits of my old pc.
1 song, 20 tracks, 100% cpu, and all the weird latency, and strange distortions kick in.
Has stopped my productions at the moment, but I am now shopping and putting together my own custom pc recording system.
Hope to have it running in June.

I think it would be very helpful to tell us what build/version you are using.
Comparing version 5 to version 6 does not give a clear picture of what can be done.
One feature of n_Track that can have a real impact on the latency when adding tracks is the “LIVE” button - I don’t know what it should be named - maybe “Hear Effects on Tracks When Recording” - Too long a tag, but that is what it does.
If you have the LIVE button down, unclick it - you will still Hear the recorded tracks, just not any effects that are active.
It can throw a track off because the routing for the sound is longer and will include the lag that any active effect might add.

Let’s say you want to add a new track to an existing song, but you want to hear the existing track with reverb - Freeze the track (that creates a reversible rendered track), The lag of the effect is no longer an issue and the demand on the CPU is reduced when you play that track.
I posted a skin sometime ago that changes the LIVE button to show ON or OFF, the pause button changes to red when down and various other changes to the display that I found troublesome.
I have changed some of the colors (I over did it), but you might try it “More Visable Buttons” is the name of the skin.
Bax

Quote: (monstasonix @ May 06 2010, 5:34 AM)

Quote: (TonyR @ May 06 2010, 2:05 AM)

Hi, MONST4. What's your build? Sound card?

hi TonyR,

i have version 5.1.1 build 2308 (don't think i've updated since i registered n-track) and a soundblaster audigy. not real flash i know but it used to work better. i'm, thinking of creating a new patition on my hard drive with windows installed and just n-track, no virus checkers, ethernet cards or multitude of other crap and see if that brings it back to its former glory.

Some info that might interest you.

I use a sound blaster Audigy too, among another things, but I found that the creative drivers blow chunks in the sea. I would recommend you at least try the ASIO4ALL driver with your Audigy. From my own experience with these drivers the only issue I have from time to time is when loading a song. The ASIO4ALL driver icons can sometimes blink on my task bar but only for few seconds, sometimes as long as 15 seconds but this is due to the driver loading buffers. Once the flashing stops I can play and record with no real issues. I like the ASIO4ALL because the creative drivers track bleed where the ASIO4ALL allow me to record a track without the previously recorded tracks bleeding on to my new tracks. I hope this information is helpful.

PACO

It’s still the one I posted the other day. I’m slow:-)

:) I've done that before too. I remember thinking why would anyone use 32 tracks on a song? Then one day I started experimenting with vocals and enhancement tracks and ended up in the 50 to 60 track range. Not full tracks but tracks with a vocal or choirs or inhancements. Then thought 'oh yeah now I see why. But as a 3 piece format I usually keep it below 20, probably a dozen or so on a regular basis.

XP Pro
SP 3
V2002
AMD Athlon™64X2Dual
Core Processor5200+
2.71GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
ECHO MIA midi pci card with ASIO
Latest n-T build.

MONST4! I went with the seperate music partition with a dual boot. All’s well so far but I do worry about bugs from the ‘general’ partition - so I’m working towards seperation and keep this machine ‘off-line’ and for tunes only.

pingcat! Good luck with the new pc build. Rock-on!

Bax! I’m doin’ a lot of voc’s at the mo’ and still able to enjoy the benefits of the live button at 46 tracks (and counting) without any latency issues ‘yet’.
Freeze!? I don’t know if it’s just my pc build but I’ve found mixing-down individual tracks to be more cpu friendly?

Wise words, Paco. Although!? I started out with a SoundBlaster and n - but coudn’t multi host.

Levi!!! 60 tracks! Wow! That’s one serious workhorse. Do tell us your pc build?

Nothing special only 1 1/2 gigs of memory on that comp.
But remember about 20 tracks would only have a few words or a riff on it to double.
When I went to close it I thought wow!
Think about it, mixing a full orchestra? I’d have to pass on that 3 piece is bad enough.
:;):

It was back in v3.3 b1516 days…

I had a nice working P-2 on ''98SE…
when my Lexicon CORE 32 Hardware was working… I think there was 128 meg of ram on that machine…
I had some 32-33 tracks on that timeline… I didn’t have many plugs running…
I haven’t been that prolific with any music sense…
However, when I run into latency back then, I’d render tracks and/or create a new timeline and continue adding tracks on songs to adjust for latency(s)…
and look for workarounds…

Bill…

I was up to just over 60 tracks for a couple of projects. They weren’t typical projects in that most tracks were shorter sound effects clips. I was making the background thunder and war sounds the band was going to use as intro clips for walking on stage. They turned out really well, and I was working on them on an older laptop. That was a lot of tracks, but there were probably no more than 10 or so waves playing at any one time.

Nicely, phoo. That’s what I’ve got goin’ on here. In fact, some of the tracks are bounced to h/q mp3 for some bits and bobs and probably only ever 10 wav’s at one time. A real patchwork quilt and great fun.

Quote: (TonyR @ May 06 2010, 5:21 PM)

MONST4! I went with the seperate music partition with a dual boot. All's well so far but I do worry about bugs from the 'general' partition - so I'm working towards seperation and keep this machine 'off-line' and for tunes only.

well got my dual boot working and although i haven't had time to record heaps of uber mutitrack stuff seems that the woeful problems I was having with latency after recording only a few tracks are now gone. (as stated previously the problem had developed due to many background processes installed over the years and not a problem with n-track per-se).

also worth mentioning that i couldn't find my registration codes from a few years ago, so I emailed Flavio who responded quickly and gave me codes for the version 5.1.1 I'm using. Support like that is most appreciated.

Great stuff, MONST4.
I wonder if you’d get that kind of support from Manfred Rürup and Karl “Charlie” Steinberg?
:laugh:

Flavio has been so good to us…
I see him up here quite often…
Most every day…

Thank you, Flavio, for keeping your finger on the pulse…
:agree:
:laugh:

Bill…