500 songs.

:slight_smile:

My kids are learning all sorts of American classics in music class - yesterday they came home yelling/singing Jambalaya - what a great tune - But the teacher was impressed when they reeled off all of Erie Canal (that’s thanks to my mom) and the Wabash Cannonball - just way till the teacher hears that they also know a whole slew of sea shanties (Eddystone light, e.g.)…
:D

Anyway, I was looking around to print out the lyrics to Wabash C. when I discovered that it is on the list of 500 songs that shaped rock and roll, according to the RnR hall fo fame.
I’m curious if you folks know everything on the list.
I don’t.
Here:

http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs

I disagree with about a third of these choices.

Compiled lists suck.

Hey Tom, if you/ve got time to surf, you got time to post that pic!

What pic? looks stupid

Gonna go by the local copy place and scan one of the very few pics I have of my salad days, tomorrow.

Quote:

just wait till the teacher hears that they also know a whole slew of sea shanties (Eddystone light, e.g.)...

Well I got pulled aside yesterday by my granddaughter's kindergarten teacher. Seems my baby girl broke into a chorus of "Get up off your arse you drunken lazy bastard" by Spank The Monkey. What can I say? it's a catchy tune. I must have played it once too often around her...
(Bein' a grandpaw rocks!!)

i remember “erie canal”, “buffalo gals” and several other related folk tunes from having to learn them in elementary school music class. Of course, we also had to learn some dan folgelberg(sic) and elton john songs to boot, for some reason. i’ll check out that list to see what else rings a bell from 1983…

my post was supposed to read Punch The Monkey - hmm…

We learned “This Land Is Your Land” and the like… “Happy Wanderer” was my fav though.

Spank? :laugh:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ May 12 2008, 10:55 PM)

Well I got pulled aside yesterday by my granddaughter's kindergarten teacher. Seems my baby girl broke into a chorus of "Get up off your arse you drunken lazy bastard" by Spank The Monkey. What can I say? it's a catchy tune. I must have played it once too often around her...
(Bein' a grandpaw rocks!!)

Excellent! I'll stop there, so I don't lose any more rating points...!

Being a grandpa does rock for sure, until your daughter jumps ya for teaching yer grandson the chorus lyrics to Jerry Jeff Walker’s "Pissing in the Wind"

hehehe

Geez, guys, what are you doing to the next generation?

Learning 'em! :laugh:

Reminds me of a cute story: a little girl is riding with her grandfather when grandpa accidentally hits the horn. He says to her: "That was a mistake - I didn’t mean to blow the horn."

The little girl says: "I know, Grandpa."

He thinks about that for a second and asks: "How did you know?"

She says: “Because you didn’t say ‘A$$hole!’ when you did it.”

Pissing in the wind
Betting on a losing friend
Making the same mistakes
We swore we’d never make again

LOL Kevin’s been listening to Jerry Jeff!

What a great song!

Quote:

Geez, guys, what are you doing to the next generation?

We're just lettin' 'em in on the good stuff........

They won't 'preciate it till we're gone or drooling in a home, but that's enough for me.

What thread am I in - see - the oldtimers desease is kickin' in.

Hehehe, all the timerz, well since my Dad and all his sibs had alzheimers really really bad, figure I’ll get it, done warned the neighbors if they see me mowing the yard with a microwave oven, naked wearing a shower cap inside out not to think anything about it, just call the wife so she can log chain me to a tree out back. Then my grand yungins can come over and sing me chorus of Pissing In The wind.

Where’s the buffet?

I ALWAYS mow my yard with the microwave???

D

PS Well… not naked. I have a pair of chartreuse tights… :O

PPS I can’t say as I agree with a few choices on the “500” list. Nothing new about that though…

To answer Tom’s original question, I have heard most of the songs on the list, but there are at least a dozen or more that don’t ring any bells. I remember doing the Twist with Chubby Checker as a little kid, watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show, spending some of the first money I earned mowing lawns on the Moody Blues Days of Future Past album because I really liked Nights in White Satin, and thinking Frijid Pink did a much better version of House of the Rising Sun than the Animals did.
There are a lot of songs on there that shaped my taste in music, but my own personal list of 500 would be at least a little different.