500 songs.

Hey kev, I agree with your statement, well don’t know about the Frigid Pink version, but hey, I saw them live!

Just a few tunes that struck me as odd on the shaped rock n roll thing. Rock Lobster? That shaped rock n roll? Or maybe shamed rock n roll. I don’t know, just my opinion, yeah it’s just like a butt-hole, everyones got one! hehehe

Rock Lobster - that one sort of stuck out to me too - it is representative of New Wave? There is an Elvis Costello song on there, which is a better representative of NW. Maybe RL is on there as a symptom of the rise of camp, and the decline of RnR as a vital, new art form? I’d buy that. There is the pattern in literature, where new genra are created, explode, mature, and end up with self-mocking camp. And then they die.

AH, But I’ve argued this before, rock is dead. :)

Point taken. This one time at band CAMP, oops, sorry.

Still a list, Rock ain’t dead, lists are!

I think we need to look at what the definition of “Rock and Roll” is for us and how it’s used by the R-n-R Hall of Fame. I see the list as influential to popular music is general, and influencing those that listened – possibly a generation of listeners that would become musicians a later – as opposed to influencing those making music at the time the songs were released.

One thing to consider is which songs would a bar band pick to play before they got bigger and better and were able to play their own material without getting run out of the bar. I can see that most, probably all, of those songs would have been on many bands lists at one time or other.

Madonna - Like A Virgin = Rock and Roll? What the hey?!?!

MC Hammer - ?!?!?!

Maybe the should change the name to “Pop Hall of Fame” or “Top 40 Hall of Fame”…

D

Maybe you can take these songs and do a trace back to their roots and discover their rock essence.

MC Hammer, You Can’t touch this. Let’s see, sample of Rick James’ Superfreak, in turn Rick played in a band in Toronto that recorded a un-realeased LP, The Mynah Birds featuring Neil Young. With members from later on in Steppenwolf (Goldie McJohn) and another later in Buffalo Springfield. so maybe that’s the rock connection?

Is that a stretch?

Quote: (Diogenes @ May 16 2008, 10:19 AM)

ROFL, a pics worth a thousand LOL's

What’s really disturbing Yaz is the fact that the picture reminds me of a girl I dated in high school… :p

D

PS Hmmm… if only she coulda bent and stretched like that… :laugh:

ROFL, too funny dude!

What the hell is that, anyway?

That sir, is the infamous “Stretch Armstrong”! My cousin had one when we were kids. Back then they probably filled Stretch with radioactive gelatin from Los Alamos experiments. Stretch enjoyed a resurgence a few years ago when they had a cartoon series and stretchy-er, safer materials to make the toys out of. (Supposedly… makes me wonder what they do with the stuff from Los Alamos NOW?)

D