64 vs 32 bits and such

So, suppose i get a computer and it has vista at 64 bits, and I want to use a 32 bit interface. Now what?

Um, now what what?

Quote: (TomS @ Feb. 27 2009, 1:28 PM)

So, suppose i get a computer and it has vista at 64 bits, and I want to use a 32 bit interface.
Now what?

No problem as long as the interface has signed 64 bit drivers. Use an M-Audio Audiophile 192 under Vista 64 no problem.

hit record TSCoolJ

Nope, it doesn’t have the drivers. I need a different interface.

unless your interface has no plans to adapt for vista 64 - drivers should be available, if not in beta.

Whatcha usin’?

Vista 64 compatible look here: http://www.rainrecording.com/vista/

ESI has a couple of new interfaces not listed that look interesting, PCIe.

Vista optimization for audio guide here: http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vista-optimization.php

Duff

Eyup!

Dunno about Vista, but I have been swapping between 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux and have found little or no advantage in a 64 bit operating system.

Some heavy duty tasks, like video encoding are a tad quicker, but it’s no big deal. Other applications are either no change or slower, and some applications don’t work at all.

IMHO if you have to PAY for a 64 bit operating system, it’s not worth it.

Steve

I can’t see what good 64 bits would be right now in music - in rendering graphics like movies, maybe…

The interface is the little Alesis 26 I/O - I wanted it b/c it actually has inserts on every channel - and the Alesis folks say they have no plans for a 64 bit driver - something about the expence of getting it certified by Microsoft…
to heck with it. It’s may be time to go MOTU…

Duffman, that is a great list. Many thanks.

So should I just go buy XP and stick it in there? Or should I send the computer back to Dell and tell them to change it out?

hmmm - ya think Dell might work with you and send you a Free XP OS disk? Never hurts to be a squeaky wheel. Tell 'em your hardware lament. They might come through.

Nothing wrong with uncertified drivers, necessarily. I don’t think EchoAudio gets their certified. Sounds like an excuse to not put time into developing good drivers.

I use Vista 64 at work and it’s been very good. The problem isn’t Vista – it’s the fact that manufacturers aren’t historically very good at doing drivers, and many times hire outside help to do the initial drivers. Over the course of yeas the in-house guys tweak them to work with new hardward and OS upgrades.

Anytime a totally new driver model comes out it takes years for them to get it right. Anyone remember the headaches when Win2K originally came out? Vista is in a worse situation because they can’t use any old drivers. They have to start from scratch. Win2K could at least use hacked NT4.0 drivers and in some cases Win95/98 WDM drivers. WinXp is Win2K in that sense. Look how long to took to get good WinXp drivers.

Stick to cards that really support the OS at hand and you should be a happy camper.

TomS,

After having 2 different Dells as studio computers, for me I say never again. Thier proprietary MB’s & power supply connections, and badly written drivers have drawn and X through thier name.

Why dont you send the Hell, oops sorry, Dell back and build one yourself?

Sooner or later there will be no more XP or Vista 32…After using Vsita 64 bit for the past 6 months there is no going back for me. Vista or Win7, just make mine 64 bit.

Quote: (duffman @ Feb. 27 2009, 3:30 PM)

Vista 64 compatible look here: http://www.rainrecording.com/vista/

ESI has a couple of new interfaces not listed that look interesting, PCIe.

Vista optimization for audio guide here:
http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vista-optimization.php

Duff

Thx Duff! Appreciate the Dell warning to!
Quote: (TomS @ Feb. 28 2009, 10:48 AM)

So should I just go buy XP and stick it in there?
Or should I send the computer back to Dell and tell them to change it out?

:( you bought a Dell?
On no!
:D Just teasin any new comps a good comp, true some are better but what the heck, it's new.

Never had a Dell so dunno.
64 vs. 32, no comparison, 32 is slow and sluggish compared.
I’m running Vista 64 and loving it. I hated Vista on a 32 machine, can you say slowwwwwwwwwwww. Plus with 64 you can slap all the ram ya want in that puppy. (what’s the limit of ram in 64 machine, 200 gigs? or something like that.)

With 64bit, OS doesn’t really matter. And all 32 bit apps run just fine in Vista 64.

Heck, you guys told me to buy one of theirs…

Well, the Alesis interface is history, and a MOTU 828mkIII has taken its place. Now to get it all configured…

Tom,

Be aware that if you run a 64 bit OS and 64 bit n-Track some of your plugins might not function! Just thought I’d throw that out there for you.

I can’t see jumping to 64 bits UNLESS you need to load massive amounts of samples into RAM. I can run oodles of audio tracks and several VSTi’s on a crappy old Athlon XP3200 with 2GB RAM on XP Pro 32 bit**. So I ain’t in a hurry to move on to XP64 or Vista or whatever. If it ain’t broke…

D

PS ** Of course, this is not with n-Track… shrug Can’t help you there. Hopefully Flava Flav has made serious efficiency improvements to n.