64bit mp3 encoding slower than 32bit

hoping to get permformance improvement

I am using the 64 bit version of ntrack. I have downloaded the 64bit mp3 lame encoder. When I go to encode a ~120 minute wave file it takes like 40 minutes. If I use an old 32 bit version of ntrack and lame encoder it takes about 10 minutes for the same quality.

Am I missing some settings somewhere in ntrack that would help the 64 bit mp3 encoding?

Usually after I get done mixing with the 64bit version I open the 32bit version to make my mp3. I am doing this weekly. Not a big problem but would be nice to figure this out for the 64.

Quote: (Eric1825 @ Aug. 16 2010, 6:43 PM)

I am using the 64 bit version of ntrack.
I have downloaded the 64bit mp3 lame encoder.
When I go to encode a ~120 minute wave file it takes like 40 minutes.
If I use an old 32 bit version of ntrack and lame encoder it takes about 10 minutes for the same quality.

Am I missing some settings somewhere in ntrack that would help the 64 bit mp3 encoding?

Usually after I get done mixing with the 64bit version I open the 32bit version to make my mp3.
I am doing this weekly.
Not a big problem but would be nice to figure this out for the 64.

n-Track uses the Lame encoder for the actual mp3 encoding (it prompts you to download Lame when it doesn't find it on the system). It looks like the 32 bit version of Lame is highly optimized (i.e. it may have parts written in assembly and exploit SSE instructions) while probably the 64 bit version is not optimized as much. This will likely improve in the future, or you may possibly already be able to find versions of 64 bit Lame that have better performance.

Flavio.