70s sound.

mmm…

I listened today to Three Dog Night’sSeven Separate Fools, and then American Pie and other hits by Don Mclean - what incredible recordings - why does the 70s sound get such a bad rap? These are examples fromone of the most explosive times in the history of music. I even like the thuddy totally dry snare sounds. Now that woudl be an innovation: make a 70s sounding record. :)

Well of course it wasn’t all bad - Jackson Browne (my favorite) made his best music then. Here are some thoughts:

<!–QuoteBegin>

By the 1970’s, the term “rock & roll” had become nearly meaningless. This decade saw the breakup of the Beatles and the death of Elvis Presley, robbing rock of two major influences. Pop music splintered into a multitude of styles: soft-rock, hard rock, country rock, folk rock, punk rock, shock rock -­ and the dance craze of the decade, disco! But whatever sub-genre(s) you preferred, rock music was big business.

And here are some other reasons why it was bad:

Top 100 Seventies Singles.

In the 1st couple of years, there was some good songs:

- “Bridge Over Troubled Water” - Simon And Garfunkel
- “Let It Be” - The Beatles
- “Maggie May” - Rod Stewart
- “American Pie” - Don McLean
- “Killing Me Softly With His Song” - Roberta Flack

But look how bad is was by the end:

- “Love Will Keep Us Together” - Captain & Tennille
- “Disco Lady” - Johnnie Taylor
- “Silly Love Songs” - Paul McCartney and Wings
- “Dancing Queen” - Abba
- “Night Fever” - Bee Gees

But if I had to say why with just 1 word: DISCO.

Mike
Quote (Mr Soul @ Dec. 03 2004,17:36)
But if I had to say why with just 1 word: DISCO.

Mike

Man, I could not agree more! You have no idea how badly I DETESTED DISCO! Of course, my wife (then girlfriend) loved it! Dang it all....I went and married the crazy woman anyway.......

TG

See, now, I happen to kinda like some disco stuff. Alot is crap, but then you got yer “I Believe in Miracles” or “Sexy Thang” or what ever that Wild Cherry tune is. And for pure camp value, let’s PLEASE not forget KISS. Are you kidding me? “Strutter”? My friends were all into Kiss when we were in 7th grade ('78…) and I hated 'em then. Now I get it though. They rock in such a terrible, delightful way. Dave Marsh from Rolling Stone once called The Villiage People “KISS for grownups”. Disco and KISS…even though there were great albums like “Physical Grafitti” and “Animals” and “Exile on Main Street” made during the '70’s…Disco and KISS is what I remember most…

And Tom, since I really didn’t address your real issue…

Anybody can make a '70’s sounding record. We get a number of clients looking to get that kind of sound. I just got a beautiful 1979 MCI JH-16 2" to replace my '74 3M M79 that’s about done for, so we could keep getting the sound of good electronics to tape. The band that started today and is going for the next 5 days came here to get many of the elements of the '70’s sound. Full band live recording (with 2 drummers on some songs! Can anyone say either Grateful Dead or Doobie Bros. ?), horn section, analog synths, track to tape…
The problem in my mind is buried in your question “why does the '70’s sound get a bad rap?” You spent the time to find that’s not the case, just in the course of the listening you do. Lotta people don’t think that way, or listen that way though. Like my post above; disco and KISS is what they remember…that’s the kinda stuff that gets bad rapped the most. And the other end of the spectrum with the Steely Dan catalog too…
People don’t often remember how good the good music from the decade could sound. I think the more common sonic touchstones are from the ‘90’s on right now, and mostly through the proliferation of the CD. I have an unsupported hunch that many of the people who bring music to the consuming public (and I guess I’m refering to the decision makers at the bigger label type places) have a bit of a “70’s sound blindspot” and so don’t promote it, or believe it will sell, when today’s engineers and musicians make it.

I dunno…maybe I’m just talkin’ out me arse…

No, no, that’s got to be it, Clava!

Mr. Soul, there are some great things even on those lists - al green, elton john, looking glass - well, 1977 was sort of a bust…but by then we had punk so who cared?

:)

Taking Mr Soul’s point, the 90s has mirrored the 70s in a lot of ways. Started out with good music and bands than had a lot of potential (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, yes Pearl Jam, they actually used to be good!), and by the end of the decade, it had all turned to crap (Backstreet boys et al). It seem things have a way of coming full circle.

Clavastudio: “They rock in such a terrible, delightful way”.

Well done. My wife has been asking me this question for nearly 10 years - ‘Why do you subject me to KISS ?’. I’ve been searching for an answer all this time. You nailed it dude.

Cheers

Ahhhh…the 70’s…hmmmmmm…pretty much a blurr nowadays…music got such bad hype from bad promoters and tv shows like Don Kirshners Rock Concert, if you can actually believe this, I saw some great acts live for $2 a show on tuesday nights at the local colosiuem, such as 3Dog Night, Edgar Winter Group, Foghat (20 or more times) because of Disco!!! When that hit big time the coverband I was in (which played Doobie Bros. etc etc ) switched over to playing disco, so I left the band and switched to playing acoustic rock n folk, couldn’t shake my booty and didn’t like dressing up as village people. Listened to some great music in those days that never got much air play because of disco (DISCO TO #### was popular t-shirt then) Bands such as Supertramp, Big Star, Pretty Things, Golden Earring, were great in the beginning but some later sold out to mainstream pop flavered albums that weren’t all that bad but radio ruined them eventually. Thought it couldn’t get worse by the end of the 70’s until Ozzy left Sabbath. As far as Kiss is concerned, my little sister bought the Live album and played it non stop which made me wretch at the name of Kiss ever since, plus they had to be the worst rock musicians to ever get a recording contract (I rank em right up there with ABBA) Abba, Donnie and Marie, Cher, Debbie Boone, K C And the Scumshine Band, just to name a few horrindous acts that still gives the 70’s a bad name. But the 70’s also gave us CHEECH AND CHONG!!!

Quote (Takayama @ Dec. 03 2004,19:49)
Taking Mr Soul's point, the 90s has mirrored the 70s in a lot of ways. Started out with good music and bands than had a lot of potential (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, yes Pearl Jam, they actually used to be good!), and by the end of the decade, it had all turned to crap (Backstreet boys et al). It seem things have a way of coming full circle.

I dunno, I never found much of artistic worth in those bands. Of coruse, I was in my 30s by then...but from about 1986 on things seemed pretty lame to me... :)

(Ducks...)

dig,if the 70’s remind ya of disco,well thats what ya let in then,ya cant say the 70’s sucked cause of disco cause there was alotta other good stuff goin down too,like Dire Straits,an the Dixie Dregs,Skynard,zepplin,just to name a few,now the 80’s,theres a decade that really ate it ,lol,

Quote (wozz @ Dec. 06 2004,03:53)
dig,if the 70's remind ya of disco,well thats what ya let in then,ya cant say the 70's sucked cause of disco cause there was alotta other good stuff goin down too,like Dire Straits,an the Dixie Dregs,Skynard,zepplin,,just to name a few,,,now the 80's,theres a decade that really ate it ,,,,,,,lol,,,,

Well, at least the 80s had the Replacements. :)
I dunno, I never found much of artistic worth in those bands.
Geess Tom - I'm almost 50 & I love Pearl Jam & Nirvana! It was easy to see why Neil hooked up with Pearl Jam when they started doing music together.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Dec. 06 2004,10:51)
I dunno, I never found much of artistic worth in those bands.

Geess Tom - I'm almost 50 & I love Pearl Jam & Nirvana! It was easy to see why Neil hooked up with Pearl Jam when they started doing music together.
Mid life crisis, Mike?

Totally kidding! I just never really enjoyed that stuff. About the only thing in the last 10 or 15 years I've liked has been Wilco. :)

Wilco’s good. There’s another band like them that is good too. And Ryan Adam’s has written some nice stuff (except for that one American tune he got famous for).

The 80’s also gave us timeless classics like Mexican Radio (Wall Of Voodoo), I Ran (Flock Of Seagulls), and Thomas Dolby’s classic She Blinded Me With Science. Man you have to get excited over such great song writing ability:;):