9's or 10's or something else

I’ve left this too late to ask, but ask I will.

I have to change the strings on 8 electric guitars (Squier Strat level of standard) for the guitar studio. Normally I’d go for 9’s on my elec guitars but I’m thinking perhaps I should go for 10’s on these guitars - a bit more durable?

Any thoughts/comments?

Cheers

Mark

I judge that stuff solely on playing feel and each instrument Mark. If these guitars are for teaching, I’d probably go with 9’s and choose a brand/material that’s known to resist gunk pretty well. 10’s on a short scale just feel to stuff to me but on a 25 1/2" scale Strat or similar they’re kind of fun. Gives you a little “fight” and they do sound better… at least to my ears. shrug

UJ

Mark,

I recently got a new American Deluxe Strat.
It came with 9’s.
I’ve played 10’s for the last 40 years, and the 9’s felt like rubber bands to me.
But, after a couple of weeks playing them, I got used to them.
When I replaced them last weekend with D’Addario 10’s the 10’s felt big and stiff. But I got used to them after a couple of hours,and now they feel right again.

The thing is, you’ll probably have to adjust the tremolo on the Strats if you change string guage.
The additional tension from the 10’s brought the tremolo arm down too low.
I had to tighten the tremolo screws to increase the tension on the springs to get it back to where I wanted it. So you may not want to remove and reinstall 6 cover screws on each of those Strats!

And, maybe it’s my imagination, but the 10’s sound better to me. Better tone, better sustain. Maybe it’s because the D’Addario’s.

Good luck.

Don

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 02 2010, 12:50 PM)

10's on a short scale just feel to stuff to me but on a 25 1/2" scale Strat or similar they're kind of fun. Gives you a little "fight" and they do sound better...

Hi, Tim (I knew it was you after the first few posts)
This sounds kinda backwards to me - you don't like stiffer strings on the shorter scale but like them on the longer one that gives more tension to begin with?
I prefer 11-49 on the Gibbo/Gretschy scale, 10-52 on the Fendery one, but that's just me...

Mark - you should be able to find really good prices on D'Addarios in bulk (25 sets) no matter what gauge you want.
Quote: (teryeah @ Dec. 03 2010, 1:02 PM)

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 02 2010, 12:50 PM)

10's on a short scale just feel to stuff to me but on a 25 1/2" scale Strat or similar they're kind of fun. Gives you a little "fight" and they do sound better...

Hi, UJ (I knew it was you after the first few posts)
This sounds kinda backwards to me - you don't like stiffer strings on the shorter scale but like them on the longer one that gives more tension to begin with?
I prefer 11-49 on the Gibbo/Gretschy scale, 10-52 on the Fendery one, but that's just me...

Mark - you should be able to find really good prices on D'Addarios in bulk (25 sets) no matter what gauge you want.

DOH! You're right... I wrote it bass-ackards!

Thanks Terje... Hope you're doing well over there dude. :)

UJ

Hahaha - nice li’l edit there! :laugh:

Yep, I’m doing good but have had too little time for music for too long a time.
You?

I prefer 10s on Fender types, 10 or 11 on Gibson type.
For me, the tone gets too thin with 9s, and the 9s did not last long as the 10s for me either.
Of course there are lots of great pro players that use 9s with great tone, and almost every guitar I ever pick up in guitar stores has 9s.
Wonder if today’s guitar makers build/set up to run out of the box with 9s.

Well I went with 10’s in the end. These guitars get a good thrashing in the studio so hopefully will hold out a bit better.

Personally I prefer 9’s but hey ho.

I’m not a guitar player…

However, I’m glad to see you with 10’s on those guitars…
Let the students decide after playing 10’s what they’d prefer on their instruments as their playing style progresses…

Bill…