A couple of questions/problems...

questions about n-track

Yesterday I downloaded the evaluation version of n-track 4. Wow, what an amazing piece of software selling for such a small price! I’d definitely buy it if it weren’t for two important shortcomings:
1) the lack of a “tempo view” function, something that allows you to “draw” a tempo line like Sonar does. This feature is essential for those who (like me) want to emulate those little tempo fluctuations of a real band playing live. Entering the tempo changes one-by-one, like n-Track does, is something of a chore, and it isn’t actually useful to produce linear, smooth tempo variations. A function like this would make this already very good product and excellent one. Any possibilities to include it in future versions?? Please???
2) I couldn’t get the programme to work with LiveSynth Pro (it’s a DXi that loads soundfonts). Maybe I did something wrong here, but I couldn’t get it to work (other VSTi’s and DXi’s worked beautifully, I must add).
Finally, I’d like to congratulate Flavio for making such a wonderful piece of software available for such a small price. Complimenti, amico! As soon as n-Track implements the function described in 1), you’ll have me as a loyal user.

Sebastián,

I have never known a more customer-conscious software developer than Flavio. Perhaps you could email your ideas to him directly and get his input on it. He may not notice it here for a long time.

Frankly, I have never had a need for the tempo features that you discribe and I can’t understand the value of it. Are you trying to correct for normal tempo variations in the song? Or overall bad timing on the part of the musicians?

Just one n-Tracker’s opinion. Let’s see what others may say. I would rather see Flavio work on other features rather than concern himself with less important issues right now.

Don

I know exaclty what he wants. That is a great tool for doing retardandos and fermatas. Personally, I use a separate MIDI sequencer for the bulk of my MIDI sequencing and then import the MID file into n-track. N-track is sooooo easy to use, it is not worth my time to do it any other way. You may want to check out JazzWare for a free sequencer that will work very well with n-track and has tempo draw within it. Even if you want to sequence in N, import the sequence to JazzWare, edit tempo, and then bounce it back to n-track, the time you spend doing that will be saved many times over with how quick and easy things are in n-track. For less than $100 you have a full blown DAW this way.

I agree – more options for setting tempos would be great.

Bubba, thanks for the pointer. Nice to know there’s a “workaround”, but too bad it more than doubles the price.

Doubles the price? JazzWare is free, check it out.

Oops, sorry – careless reading. I’d thought I’d read that it was under $100, but no. Thanks again!

JazzWare is not for XP I think - couldnt get it installed, but installed ok on '98 – I don’t know if the version named “nt” would work for XP …

Quote (Don Gaynor @ Sep. 14 2004,08:56)
Are you trying to correct for normal tempo variations in the song?
Don

Exactly. The idea is to achieve recordings that sound as close as possible to the real thing. And a real band doesn't play in perfect tempo all the time. yeah, I know you can insert tempo changes in n-Track, but "drawing" them in a dedicated tempo editor (a feature I'd like to see soon) would make this task a lot easier and quicker. Anyway, as I said earlier, n-Track is a fantastic piece of software just as it is.

I believe Power Tracks Pro Audio has this function. I haven’t used it in a while, but the MIDI functionality is really great (the audio part can’t compete with nTrack, though!) I haven’t done much MIDI lately, but in the past I would do my MIDI work in PTPA and then import the MIDI file into nTrack. It was only $29, but it may have gone up recently. PG Music

Don

Oops, I screwed up the link. It’s www.pgmusic.com

Yes, powerTracksPro has notation.

It was $20 when I bought it about 3 years ago. I never use it, though, except when n-Track won’t import MIDI due to stuff it doesn’t understand, PTP will and after I export it from PTP then n-Track will read it. (This happens for .mid files from my Ensoniq synth, for example. No problem with real-time MIDI data from my synth, just the files.)

Hello All!

Upon reading this thread I tried installing the “nt” version of Jassware and can report that it does run under XP. Now as to the suggestion of Power Tracks Pro, I d/l the latest version 9 and installed it, but I have been unable to test or hear any of the included demo songs as I keep getting the following error and program freezes: “access violation in 000000 . . . dxirewire.dll . . .” Upon further research I find that this file is in the n-track program directory of both 3.3 and 4.0. So I don’t know if I can get PTPro to work with n-tracks. PGMusic Support said that PTPro is not yet compatable with ReWire. Can anyone tell me if this function can be turned OFF in n-tracks or would it be wise to just delete the offfensive file without causing problems in n-track? I’m fairly new to n-track and would appreciate any input as I’m trying to input my Yamaha P200 keyboard into n-tracks via Midiport 2x2 interface without any success. Thanks to all.