A Different Approach from Brian Powell

it’s grammAr, tom. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I woke up this morning…

Shouldn’t that be…
I waked up this morning…
I awakened this morning…

Unless this is a Blues song of course.

Of course, could use the language of my elders.
I wokeded up this morning…

…never said they had lick of sense.

(of course I’m not serious)

So much joking about a song that is so depressing…

It’s funny we (some of us) were joking around about the grammar because I was just happened to be looking up something about Fats Domino and stumbled on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain%27t_That_a_Shame

<!–QuoteBegin>

According to legend, Pat Boone suggested the title and lyrics be altered to “Isn’t It A Shame” to make it more appealing to a broader audience but was disuaded by his producers.

Wouldn’t it be a shame if that were to have happened?

In other words, keep the lyrics as you heard them in your head. It opens them up to multiple interpretations and adds character. That’s generally a good thing.

Darn right, phoo.

So I’m just going to keep spelling “grammer” anyoldwayIwantto. :)

Okay - I am making some headway into this. I wrote (what I consider to be) a beautiful track, now I just need to mess around with it a bit and add some vocals and what not and I will post something a little later on today.

This won’t be anything final - but… an idea of what I’d like to make it sound like :) For some reason, I have been unable to use my “good mic” lately, becuase… I don’t know… it’s giving me really poor sound. I will post some samples to see if anyone understands why it’s not sounding good.

Brian

Okay - I have taken into consideration some of the suggestions made, and am posting my first demo of the song. I would appreciate it SO much if I got more criticism than praise from this mix… I want to know what is WRONG with it, (other than the vocals… I need to fix my good mic) unless, of course, it’s a comment on the style of vocals, words used, etc…

I’m very happy so far with this, and I think if I get some help I can really turn it into a winner.

Thanks Guys, I look forward to hearing your comments…

Why Does It Mean Nothing?

New Lyrics-

Why Does It Mean Nothing?

i got up this morning
for the first time in weeks
something shocked my heart into believing
there was something more to life than I could see

so my heart was dead
after three years of giving it was out of breath
and after three weeks of dying it just needed rest
but something shocked my heart and woke it from the depth
of depression and sadness that I could not seem to understand

why this was happening
why the life I’d worked so hard to build was
crumbling, why the love I’d given selflessly now
meant nothing why my every thought and my every move just seemed to
echo back her name, and here I stand
waiting to rebuild myself again

so everything’s wrong
I sing these words but they just don’t get along
with the thoughts in my head
and the aches of my heart
I want to explain but I don’t know where to start
with the depression and the sadness that I cannot seem to understand

why this is happening
why the life I’ve worked so hard to build is
crumbling, why the love I’ve given selflessly now
meant nothing why my every thought and every move just seem to
echo back her name, and here I stand
waiting to rebuild myself again

and all of these thoughts
are slowly driving me crazy
how do I erase these years
and still be left with more than you?

why is this happening
why is the life I worked so hard to build now crumbling
why is the love i’ve given so selflessly now mean nothing

That’s it for now!

Brian

Okay - I am eagerly awaiting some responses :) But, while I wait :patiently: I’m wondering if someone can link me with a good BASS guitar soundfont. I had one a while ago, before my computer crashed, that sounded amazing, but I forget what it is called right now and I’m using a crappy synthetic bass for this song, which I really don’t want to do.

Thanks!!!

BRian

I think I am flying solo on this thread, but I will continue to post my progress. You can forget about that second mix, this one is a little better, and has a new bass line, (I found some good soundfonts), and a lot of reworked stuff.

Comments? Please?

Brian

Why Does It Mean Nothing Demo 4

Enjoy this new mix!

Very, very, very good. I liked it emmensely. The new verse fits very well, and I’m glad you went with the verse/chorus format. It shows how strong the chorus section is. I liked it a lot.

now, a couple of nitpicky stuff.

First, try to find some way to work your vocals back into the melody of the chorus from the first time you do it. Don’t change the melody on the chorus (except for any minimal change you need to make to work the register back into the right octave). Now, maybe you’re doing this and I missed it, but even so, it sounded completely different, so you need some way to make it sound the same. The melody from the first chorus is very strong, and you should reinforce it by using the same melody the second time you do it. Otherwise, you will cause confusion.

Secondly, work on the panning of the track. The hard right and left for the piano and guitar isn’t working for me. It might work (although I am still not a fan) if you had two guitars working, but with one guitar part, I say try to keep them faily centered. If you have doubletracked, you can split the two guitars (or two pianos) hard right and left (although I always recommend a bit of cheating to the center), but don’t just split the two instruments like that. If you are needing more stereo space in your track, try either reworking a stereo reverb or using a stereo widener plugin.

hth,
fish

Well, it sure has come a long way since the demo you posted. I can’t say that I like the sound of the piano on version 4. But I really like the song, and I really like your singing.

Thanks Fish!

I am trying to understand exactly what you mean in… actually… both your paragraphs :) I… just have no idea what you mean with this first paragraph, can you explain?

<!–QuoteBegin>

First, try to find some way to work your vocals back into the melody of the chorus from the first time you do it.
The first verse/chorus melodically is the same as the second verse/chorus in almost every regard, other than the fact that the SECOND verse/chorus is one complete octave higher, and has a little more jazziness to it, (with some pitch bending and me showing off my voice and what not) I think this is what you’re saying - that I’m changing the melody the second time around, but if you listen, it is the same melody, just an octave higher. Tell me if this helps.

The second paragraph - I have two pianos, and two guitars. The pianos are panned a.)24 right, b.)66 right, while the two guitars are panned a.)42 right, and b.)52 left. Obviously the 52 left is very strong, and the 42 right one is there to bring balance to it. I am using Izotope’s Ozone mastering plugin to do stereo widening to kind of… merge the sounds of those four instrumental tracks, but… you say it’s not working for you? What do you suggest?