a few gripes about V6

Well, I have been with Ntrack since 2.3 and one of the main reasons I haven’t moved on completely to other programs is my familiarity with the program and the old dog and new tricks deal, that and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Recently upgraded to V6 and already am not happy and find myself going back to v5 to get my work done…

My two main gripes thus far are these:

1. a lot of the pluggins I had in v5 did not show up when I installed v6.
1.a. I don’t really know why that is and if I have to go and re-install some of the VST’s or put them into a new folder or what, unfortunately since I picked up a lot of these freebie plugs over the years some of them are not even available at the old links or the current versions now cost $.
2. I am not happy with the “preferences” area, for 10 years it was the same and I new how to navigate it just fine to set up audio interfaces and midi devices…now it looks different and nothing is where it used to be.
2.a. For some reason my Midi device keeps being reset inside Ntrack v6, there are two possible settings for mine, Digitech USB in/out OR Digitech Editor USB in/out, but the Editor one is not for midi it is for edition guitar patches something totally unrelated to midi so it needs not be selected.
2.b. I select “Digitech USB in/out” for both Midi INPUT and OUTPUT, if I close the program and reopen it it set’s either the input or the output to Digitech Editor USB and I have to go in there and reset it every time, this never happens inside v5.
3. I said I had a “few” so to be grammatically correct here is the 3rd, there seems to be two different settings for sample rate, the one is visible when you click Preferences, the other if you go to view soundcard settings.
3a. this was unknown to me and like I always have done with v5 I set up my ONYX in Soundcard settings for Recording to it’s default 96k then did some recording, much to my chagrin when I came back to the file later the prompt came up “do you want to set current playback frequency to match files?” WHAT? the soundcard was set to 96k, it should have recorded at 96k and playback is set to 96k!!!
Apparently the “other” setting when you press “preferences” is set a 4800…but wait it gets worse…I tried to convert the 48k files to 96k just so I could keep everything congruent with what I have been doing for the past 2 years…and now I got files that are twice as long and play back really slooooooooowwww, forget it, do over.

Fortunately the tracks were generated from midi files so not that big of a deal to send them back through the modules and record them again, this time making sure BOTH settings are at 96k.

Never had that problem with v5, but then again I knew were everything was and had no surprises after 10 years of getting to know it…

I understand most of this is just user error and my own fault for not knowing the program anymore…but gripes none the less…

Other than that preformance seems to be better, things that would normally freeze v5 (specifically doing midi editing while the file is playing) is now not a problem, so that’s nice and it looks fancy…but I ain’t with her for the looks…

dontcare

Hi dontcare:
Just something to consider, regarding the v6 preferences… I’d go into the options and check to see if you have the NET Box checked… Maybe, that could have some influence as to some of the issues you report…

Bill…

thanx for the reply, you can just call me jerm, Bill,
:laugh:

I will look for this “net box” and see what it says although I would like it to be noted that I never had to do that in V5…

Seems to be quite a few things that weren’t broken in v5 that are now “fixed” in 6, lucky me…

dontcare

Do You Know What ????

It’s good to see you back here, again…
:agree:
:)

Hey ?
I don’t have that box checked…

Seems to me that it was put in there as a result of guys wanting to PARE Down n-Track with guys that reported not wanting anything to do with the way Windows Hogged resources…
That’s if I remember correctly…

Again…
and
However, some plugs may need their Operating Systems to Call Home to Identify their authenticity and all…

Bill…

Yeah I don’t want Ntrack to do anything other than what it always used to do… :)

I don’t even know what a PARE is. :laugh:

Me and Mark had a pretty interesting conversation about how all these things get added to programs that end up bogging them down over the years in another thread…
Me, not interested in all the latest bells and wistles, firm ain’t broke don’t fix it guy here…if anything I want the opposite from a programmer, slim it down and streamline it for optimal performance leave the bells and whistles for the show offs that want them let them have the headaches and just give me what I originally agreed to buy a license to use…

dontcare

Sorry… PARE = Lowest common denominator… Lean-and-Mean…

Bill…

The NET feature is (in theory) for net transfer, presumably for remote colaboration.

I, I, I, I, staying on 5, stayin on 5! :laugh:

dontcare

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 07 2011, 9:21 AM)

The NET feature is (in theory) for net transfer, presumably for remote colaboration.

Nope. Shesh... Haven't you been reading my bitchin' all these years?

NET is to enable features in n-Track that REQUIRE Microsoft .NET runtime DLL's. As far as I can tell, the performance and stability issues I experienced with n-Track began when Flavio started using the .NET framework.

UJ

PS IF there is some kind of internet collaboration feature(s), it/they may require the .NET stuff to be enabled. I don't know about that though.
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Mar. 11 2011, 3:04 PM)

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 07 2011, 9:21 AM)

Nope. Shesh... Haven't you been reading my bitchin' all these years?

NET is to enable features in n-Track that REQUIRE Microsoft .NET runtime DLL's. As far as I can tell, the performance and stability issues I experienced with n-Track began when Flavio started using the .NET framework.

UJ

PS IF there is some kind of internet collaboration feature(s), it/they may require the .NET stuff to be enabled. I don't know about that though.

My apologies UJ.
UJ! Why don't you crack open V6? You might like it..... and then you'd be more use;-)

The 'enable NET features' is in options and was one of the first things I tried to crack with n a couple o' years ago. Hoping for real-time colab. Nice pie-in-the-sky idea but on top of transfer rate the IP shnit did me 'ead in.

HEy, this is my thread to gripe, you want to start your own Uj?
:laugh:

eye eye eye eye stayin on 5, stayin on 5… :D discos off into the distance sunset…

dontcare

usual denigration of n-Track edited out #

UJ

I have to use v6 as i’m running a 64 bit system now,but I really dislike it.I have used 3.3 for years,and have loved it, but it won’t run on win 64.I’m just an old bar musician who wants to record one track at a time,add effects and mix down.All the stuff that was easy to access is now hidden somewhere,or “improved” in some other way.Like dragging tracks used to be simple-now you have to click on the little plus sign which is fine,unless you expand the tracks,and the plus sign gets buried to where you have to shrink the track again to find it.I have Cubase and almost never use it,(except for the effects).I assume that n-track will eventually be improved until it is as much as a pain in the ass as the rest of the multitrack programs out there.Sad to contemplate,but I’m looking for another program that has the simplicity and elegance of the older version of n-track

Strange things happen-after posting,I decided to try a few workarounds,and lo and behold-I now have version 3.3 working on win 7 64 bit!No offense to anyone,but 3.3 has everything I need without the extra junk that frankly I don’t want or need to learn.I still support n-track,and will continue to buy the upgrades in the hope that things will possibly get easier-maybe a version of n-track with just the basics of recording and mixing for old farts like me.

Quote: (yogene @ Apr. 10 2011, 1:02 PM)

maybe a version of n-track with just the basics of recording and mixing for old farts like me.

Sounds like you found it. Cool:-)
Quote: (yogene @ Apr. 10 2011, 1:02 PM)

Strange things happen-after posting,I decided to try a few workarounds,and lo and behold-I now have version 3.3 working on win 7 64 bit!No offense to anyone,but 3.3 has everything I need without the extra junk that frankly I don't want or need to learn.I still support n-track,and will continue to buy the upgrades in the hope that things will possibly get easier-maybe a version of n-track with just the basics of recording and mixing for old farts like me.

are you running a 24bit version of 3.3?

if not that would be the only advantage I can see for upgrading.

v6 was not all good on my system either so I use v5 but have the 24bit codes so at least I can get the extra head room. :agree:

I still have to open v6 every time I want to save a file as Midi_0 but that's about it....it's ok for that single function on my system.

dontcare
Quote: (dontcare @ Mar. 07 2011, 3:35 PM)

1. a lot of the pluggins I had in v5 did not show up when I installed v6.
1.a. I don't really know why that is and if I have to go and re-install some of the VST's or put them into a new folder or what, unfortunately since I picked up a lot of these freebie plugs over the years some of them are not even available at the old links or the current versions now cost $.

Hellohello

nTrack defaults to having the plug-ins in a folder under the program root. Something like/nTrack/plug-ins. At least it used to.
Did you check the preferences... hopefully it's just a matter of the settings having changed with the upgrade.

I keep all vst's and such in a folder of their own, not in any subfolder belonging to nTrack, Cubase or whatnot. This helps keeping things organized, and although the settings in nTrack might have to be rechecked when upgrading, nothing is usually lost.

Another thing is moving the plug-in files to another location, a new hard drive or a new computer. Many plug-ins require registration, even the free ones, so just copy-pasting or dragging the plug-ins can mess up your DAW. This has nothing to do with nTrack, though.

I:-T

Good point, Iwont Tell. Because Windows 7 upgrade is not relly an upgrade so much as a new installation, anything that required that it be registered on the operating system ( like many plug-ins do) would not work without reinstalling. But are you saying that version 3.3 ran the same plugins without reinstalling? Curious
Bax

Eruuuup!

I figured it was something like that.

Unfortunately I don’t have the exe. files for a lot of that stuff (we are talking stuff from 10 years ago, I was lucky to even have them on V5 when I did still have the files) so it’s a no go to get them into V6.

Still it would have been nice if they all somehow transferred over, registrations and all…impossible? me tinks not. :laugh:

dontcare