A first attempt at posting

A simple little guitar instrumental

I think I have this posting thing figured out well enough to try sharing a tune. SIMPLE FOLK was recorded a while back, but I think it was done on ntrack. It might have been Acid Pro 4.0 since I bounce back and forth between the two. Anyway, it started with the idea of trying to use all three of the guitar multi effects I have together in one recording. It was being considered for background music in a rum commercial, but I think that fell through since I haven’t heard anything about it in months.

null

Real smooth pickin’ there Kevin. What were the effects? That electric guitar sound is classic.

I’ll be hearin’ that melody all day. Your rhythm guitar and lead phrasing tempo is rock solid.

Wanna play 'guess the lead guitar model there guys?'

I listened 3 times - I think I have a good idea.

Hey Poppa…guess there’s no takers on this guessing game idea. The three effects units I used were a Digitech RP100, a Yamaha MagicStomp that I had bought to use with my acoustic electric, and an ART SGX Nitro that I have had since the early '90s. No way to remember what presets I may have used, I just went with whatever seemed to blend in well with the recording as it went down. The acoustic was recorded with a CAD M179. The CAD, which I bought last year, and a Rode NT1 that I bought years ago, are my two best mics. I’m wanting to try some mid/side recording with these two at Capalanos (a local coffee house) sometime soon. All the stereo recording I’ve done till now has been XY with a couple of Nady small condensers I have. Any tips from anyone who is experienced with mid/side recording would be appreciated. Well, anyway, thanks for encouraging me to get involved.

Kevin

I’m sure giving my Modem and dial-up a workout today…
The “Touch” on those guitars is pretty smooth…
It sounds like a guitar player up in these parts…
I wouldn’t say his name.
He might post up here…
He is an n-Track user.
He might use a nick name…

Is that Front guitar some model of Chet Atkins ? OR What model guitars are you using on those tracks?

Bill…

Hey Bill… actually all three electric parts were done on the same guitar… a Spirit made by Steinberger. It uses the double ball strings, but has a more traditional Strat-like body. The gauge of the strings I use may have more to do with the smoothness. I use tens, and have considered giving elevens a try, as that is what I used on another electric I had a few years ago, and really enjoyed playing that guitar. My acoustic is a Washburn D30. I’ve had bone pins, nut and saddle installed on it since this recording was done. I also have an Ibanez hollow body electic I bought last year, but haven’t really used it as much as I intended when I ordered it. I’ll have to do some recording with it sometime soon. And I know about those phone modem ordeals. I keep saying I’m gonna upgrade to dsl, but never seem to get around to doing it.

Kevin

Hi kevinmyers:

Thanks for that reply.
I was sure I heard a Chet Atkins Hollow Bodied Guitar there… with .012’s-or-013’s and a wound G String…
Anyway, from the listening perspective music is totally in the imagination…

Thanks for sharing the instrumentation on those tracks with us…
The Capturing and Mixing and Presentation of the Technical aspect of the tracks is O.K. with me, as well…

What kind of Audio Hardware do you use?

Is all of your work done using n-Track?

Bill…

Hi Bill,

After I posted last, I realized my tendency to use heavier gauge picks has a lot to do with the sound I get, and should have mentioned that too (on electric… on acoustic I almost always just use my thumb and index finger). Plus, being a lefty who plays guitar like a righty has an effect on things. Then again, maybe I used a convincing jazz guitar preset.

As far as the hardware I use, I have an ART DSPII going into the digital inputs of an Echo MiaMidi. I have a Peavey PV8 mixer connected to the analog inputs and outputs, and monitor with a pair of Fostex PM-1’s. It seems every few months, or atleast once or twice a year, the bug will bite, and I’ll have to buy another piece of equipment, or some software effect or instrument. I’m trying to quit doing that so much, but I think it’s an addiction.
:)
I also have a dbx 266 compressor/expander that I have connected to the DSPII. It helps to keep things from getting too peaky, and the expander really helps keep background noise from making it onto the tracks. (I live right on a two lane highway on the edge of town, so there is always the sound of cars going by, unless I record late at night.)

I seem to be rambling, but maybe I answered your question. It’s a slowly improving setup for a slowly improving recording engineer. And, oh yeah… besides ntrack, I also use Acid Pro 4.0 at times, and I have Acon Digital Acoustica and HarBal for my attempts at mastering.

I need to get off here and see if the Preds can beat the RedWings this afternoon. God bless.

Kevin

Well the important thing is the Av’s beat the Wild last night…

There’s some nice and interesting stuff being posted by you two…

That stuff really attracts my musical attention…
If I remember correctly…
It was back in '96 on New Year’s Eve Day…
I found myself in a record shop with enough money to buy a CD for my newly purchased CD Player…
The CD happened to be “Pocket Full Of Gold”… I put the CD in the transport of the player
and
there-it-stayed for some TWO Years…
I listened-and-listened to that CD at every opportunity I had trying to discover how-and-why the tracks on that CD are captured so magically correct… In my opinion…
Then…
It was a couple of years later and that bunch produced “The Key”.
Almost as good…
but…
not quite…
Vince duet ted with the TOP Females of the day…
Great…
In my opinion…
The Vocals were Magic/Stellar…
So I understand…
The tracks on Pocket Full Of Gold were recorded in 16-bit Res.
Now, yea gotta be a fan of that kind of music to listen to it…
I’m not so much of a fan of the vocals as I am with the Music Tracks…
The jewel case liner says it all…
It’s the guys who plays on the tracks…
I think…

I’ve got that Har-Bal Mastering Utility…
I’m learning how to use it…
Maybe, some day I’ll know how it’s done…

Anyway, Leonard was a big-time fan of John Hughey… His name came into the conversation all-the-time…

By proximity, I’m a Montreal or Boston Fan… I only get to see Hockey VIA the CBC… Your team is on a bit too late for me to see all of the game…
I think I saw some of the first 20 minutes…

However, I don’t think they have any chance of getting by Pittsburg and Sydney…
on the way to the Stanley Cup…
If I had any money to bet it would be on Pittsburg for the Stanley Cup…
So… There…

Bill…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Apr. 20 2008, 1:33 PM)

Well the important thing is the Av's beat the Wild last night..

And that is important, of course, because the Avs, being the obviously inferior team, will go down that much more easily to the Wings if and when the Avs meet them.

Sorry for the hijack, Kevin, but in spite of his great wisdom, Mr. Poppa W. sometimes shows signs of irrationality, and we owe him the favor of keeping him on track.

:whistle:

Uhum… I am back on track now - thanx T.

Go AVs.

The local minor hockey club has adopted the Red Wings as their NHL Mentors, some number of years ago…
Red-and-White colours with the Wing’s logo/icon…
We see all the kids wearing their colours with pride when they go shopping with their parents… I think it goes back to the days before Scottie Bowman was behind the Bench…
When my kids went through the system our colours were Red-and-While but not with the Wing’s logo…
We are called the Cole Harbour Bel Air Minor Hockey Club.
aka. Sydney Crosby Land…

Anyway, the last stage I worked on…
We had an acoustic guitar player that used a Gibson J-50 Guitar…
A Guitar to Die-For…
It was a '60’s model…
All original…
with a Factory installed piezzo pickup…
Our stage and house mixer was after him (All-The-Time) to back off with his agressive playing.
We even got him to use a PINK Pick…
It didn’t alter his agressive playing to any degree…
The other thing was he was a chain smoker…
He smoked…
maybe three packs a day…
He would take these coughing spells while playing…
Then he would break strings…
I would step up and cover/sing his harmony lines…
When we got the oppertunity to hear our recorded stage mix he would always complain why he couldn’t hear his guitar… The more agressive you play your instrument on the stage the more you get removed from the monitor and house mix…
He was diagnosed with lung cancer and 90 days later he was gone…
What a loss to that stage…
The year was 2001…

Bill…

I want to see Pens vs Wings in the finals…and I almost want Pens to win…Crosby is great…but I should put this on another thread…sorry again Kevin!

Hijack anytime you want, Tom. I have to admit though, I am not nearly as enthused about hockey right now. Oh well, the NFL draft is Saturday… Go Titans! :laugh: