A Good Keyboard For The Money

hey there,
im interested in gettin a music keyboard to hopefully enhance my music, i have an old casio one but would like a newer one with more variety in the sound. i no casio and yamaha are very popular, but what are the best keyboards to get? a price range rele anywhere from 100 quid to 300. i wud pay 300 quid but only if its that much better over one thats 100 quid. also is it worth getting one with midi capabilities? ive never used a midi instrument so have no idea how that works.

Depends on your what you hope to use it for. I use my old casio as a midi controller w/Reason…so, if you’re just using it for that sort of application, you can get good controllers for pretty inexpensive.

wots reason?? and am i rite in thinkin when u use it as midi you can jus get different sounds on ur computer??
and u say old casio, mines like over 10 years, wud that work??

Hmm.

I think I deleted my last reply by mistake. This is Reason.Reason. Be warned, it kicks much ass. I got my casio, let’s see, in 1995?

Works great.

Cheers!
Phil

For what you want the keyboard? For midi work at home? For play in “real world” shows?

so u use this reason software while u av ur keyboard plugged in. do u av an adapter for ur keyboard 2 make it midi compatible, or is it already??

There are midi jacks on the back of the keyboard, and you connect the jacks from the keyboard midi ports to the soundcard midi port.

If you do a search on ‘keyboard’ ‘since the beginning’, about 3 pages in you will find a very long thread called “best keyboard for the bucks” or something like that. it has a lot of responses and useful information on keyboards and the different ways to use them…

cliff
:cool:

And I’ll repeat what I said in one of those previous topics…

Don’t buy an M-audio Radium!

I have advancing arthritis, and those keys cripple me. Even my girlfriend who has healthy joints finds her fingers aching after a very short time.

Not only that, but after only one week, the USB connector came off the PCB, and that was with gentle home use.

The midi connector lasted a bit longer, but not much. The standard of soldering within the keyboard was appalling, and there is no mechanical reinforcement.

Ya buy cheap, and ya get cheap. :)

hey marce, ive only jus noticed ur post! i want a keyboard jus to add extra sounds to my songs, but i no nothing about how to use midi, im not bothered about using it for shows cos i imagine if i just get a midi controller then it will be a lot cheaper right?

hey g8tor i was jus looking over that post, some gd information there seen as i knew nothing about midi cos im yet to use it. sounds like something i should get into tho!

philrossi, u say soundcard midi port, my sound card dont av midi ports, is there a way to convert, like say thru a usb??

For a master keyboard you could probably do a lot worse than the CME range of mother keyboards - they come in several different sizes, and they even sport a set of play/stop/fwd/rev/rec buttons for controlling your DAW… - impressive.

I would buy one if I wasn’t short of space, but then I’m getting my good old Hornung & Moeller upright piano back again tomorrow after spending almost twelve years in exile due to lack of space etc., so I’m considering saving up to a Moog PianoBar instead…

Nowadays, I’m using my Alesis QS6.1 synth as a master keyboard… - suits me fine, that. :D

regards, Nils

a MIDI to USB adaptor…pretty easy to find

Have your old casio keyboard some “midi-out” plug at back? If it is the case,it can be enough for start, since the “new sounds” will come from the computer, not the keyboard

Marce has made the crucial point.

You said you wanted “new sounds”, so all you really need is a new sound module, and your computer is that.

As long as your present keyboard has midi out, then just plug it into your PC.

Once you’ve done that, then the world is your edible raw mollusc! :D

There’s a whole host of software synths, sample engines, soundfonts and soundfont players, that can produce everything from a sampled Steinway to the weirdest synthesised sounds you can ever imagine.

im not so sure my old keyboard has a midi out, im at uni at the mo but am home this weekend so will check it out then. thanks for all the posts, am thinkin that i am probably only after a midi controller so will start having a look at some later on.
slightly off topic, while i was reseaching midi i came accross this: Roland Guitar Midi Pickup
anyone no anything about it and whether it works very well?

I think I said it before…when you start doing MIDI stuff you will find all sorts of doors opening (brass, keyboards, strings, synths even choirs) to sounds to add to your music projects.
I have heard of the guitar MIDI but don’t know how well it works. I am curious as to how it places “bends” and “slides” and other guitar nuances onto a piano roll. These are problems I have had when I try to add a lone fiddle or violin…the notes are all single notes as opposed to being one note bending or sliding to another.
Like you, I have an old keyboard with no bells or whistles. I think a trip to a music center where you could try out a MIDI guitar would be the first step.

cliff
:cool:

I’ve demo’ed a few software guitar to MIDI converters, but ain’t been very impressed by any of them; but I’ve never actually tried a genuine midi guitar.

But I seem to recall there was a topic about this back along, so search back through the forum.

Quote (Nils K @ Jan. 19 2006,16:04)
they even sport a set of play/stop/fwd/rev/rec buttons for controlling your DAW...

i know DAWs like Pro Tools can do things like this, but can n-Track be remotely controlled in this way? a flying-fader board would be nice too if it's compatible.
Quote (yeahforbes @ Jan. 20 2006,22:26)
Quote (Nils K @ Jan. 19 2006,16:04)
they even sport a set of play/stop/fwd/rev/rec buttons for controlling your DAW...

i know DAWs like Pro Tools can do things like this, but can n-Track be remotely controlled in this way? a flying-fader board would be nice too if it's compatible.

I had a US-428 that worked pretty well as a surface controller. I think you can set up pretty much any of those controller devices to work with n-Track.