A Little T Rex from Steveaudio

:slight_smile:

http://steveaudio.blogspot.com/T Rex 1974

Excellent. Thanks for posting that Tom. That was the first record I ever bought.

I am NOT going to tell you what my first record was. :D

Ha, ha. You’re not that old Tom.

Marc Bolan was a great guitar player - something that was never quite captured in his studio recordings. I’ve still got most of his singles from the 70’s, and I kept all the press cuttings from when he died. (I was a big T-Rex fan as a young teenager). I then moved backwards in time and found Hendrix, Purple, Clapton, the Beatles…

My first three (all within a week):
—Wheels of Fire
—Are You Experienced
—Kick Out the Jams

The flood gates were wide open after that…of which Electric Warrior was to be had when it came out. I never got the first one though (T-Rex) for some reason.

Quote (XonXoff @ Feb. 21 2007,20:15)
Ha, ha. You're not that old Tom.

Marc Bolan was a great guitar player - something that was never quite captured in his studio recordings. I've still got most of his singles from the 70's, and I kept all the press cuttings from when he died. (I was a big T-Rex fan as a young teenager). I then moved backwards in time and found Hendrix, Purple, Clapton, the Beatles.....

Oh, I dunno. Let's just say it was mid 70s and involved a popular singer who often used a dramatic key change for the third verse.

Nope. No ideas here. More clues please.

My first record was Status Quo’s Hello!, bought in '73 when I was almost 9. I still like that record.

Eyup!

First and ONLY single I ever bought:

Joe Cocker, Delta Lady

I don’t have any T Rex but I DO have a Tyrannosaurus Rex album :blues:

Incidentally, amazing as it may seem, T Rex are still gigging (erm… obviously without a certain two original members) I was speaking to their manager only a couple of months ago.
Nice lad called Barry. Lives just up the road from me in Barnsley.

Steve

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 21 2007,22:43)
Oh, I dunno. Let’s just say it was mid 70s and involved a popular singer who often used a dramatic key change for the third verse.

heh Tom, "Oh Mandy, you came and you gave without takin, But I sent you away, Oh Mandy…"

Am I close Tom?

My first album was probably Diana Ross and the Supremes or some other early Motown group. I think I may have even had an album with a thin “Little Stevie Wonder” on the front cover.

Of course, there were plenty fo 45s like Hermans Hermits singing “I’m Henry the VIII I am…” or the flip side, "Mrs. Brown you got a lovely daughter…"

Or how about the early Simon and Garfunkel or better yet, The Association. And then there were the Cowsills… oops, now I’ve gone too far…
:p

Mike

Oh actually, I remember 2 albums before the early Supremes stuff. Shirley Ellis singing “The Name Game” and the Chipmunks Album with the tune “Christmas don’t be late”. As I remember, that album was made from red vinyl.

:laugh:

Now then!
The 1st single I ever bought was “The Green Manalishi” by Fleetwood Mac(before those bloody women joined! You know…when they were still a British Band :) )

I bought my 1st 3 albums all on the same day when I was converted to Rock music by hearing "Child in Time"

1. Deep purple in Rock
2. Aqualung by Jethro Tull
3. Wishbone Ash

Ah…those were the days! :)

Edit: The above sentence bears no relation to the song of that name by Mary Hopkin

Ah, Peter Green, there was a man with taste! :)

His blues guitar didn’t have the flash of Clapton or others of the genre, but what he did, he did exquisitely.

As for my first record, “Louisiana lost a tanner, down by the waterside”.

It was cardboard, 78 RPM (or thereabouts), and not one single electron was involved in its reproduction! :D

Just a piece of useless information:

The electric guitar Mike Oldfield used to record ‘Tubular Bells’ with belonged to Marc Bolan…

A 1966 Fender Telecaster Blonde, BTW:

My first record was “She Loves You”, by The Beatles.

regards, Nils

Now look what we’ve started. :slight_smile:

Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the Bolan trivia Nils. Nice guitar.

You are a smart one, aren’t you, DrG? :D

Can I have that guitar?

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 22 2007,13:59)

Oh no? Surely not Tom. I’m shocked. I respected you as a musician.

(shakes head and walks away)

Can I have that guitar?

Ok, that redeems you. Panic over. Phew!.

Beach Boys - “All summer long”. Bought it one summer when I was in junior high school. It still has a hold on me and reminds me of long, relaxed, summers with lots of foggy romantic notions.

T

Quote (XonXoff @ Feb. 22 2007,15:47)
You are a smart one, aren't you, DrG? :D

Oh no? Surely not Tom. I'm shocked. I respected you as a musician.

:-)

Can I have that guitar?

But the 2nd LP was a Muddy Waters one. :D

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 22 2007,15:55)
Quote (XonXoff @ Feb. 22 2007,15:47)

Oh no? Surely not Tom. I’m shocked. I respected you as a musician.

Can I have that guitar?

But the 2nd LP was a Muddy Waters one. :D

Status restored in full.