A mixdown ?

Individual altered tracks

Hey all
I was wondreing if there is a way that I can export my individual tracks into a new folder without overwriting the originals. Some of the song files are 19 mins long where 5 takes of a song were done. They are cropped now and I want to make seperate tracks of those cropped files without having to export each one seperately. Thanks for any help.

Don’t quite understand the question, but I think the answer is yes. You seem to be mixing several questions into one.

You say “some of the song files are 19 minutes long …” – do you mean that some of the wave files are that long? I.e., you left record on and just did another take? And now you want to rarrange the parts? To do this, just drag to select a section, and use “Edit -> Nondestructive -> Splice”. This puts splices in the display at the ends of what’s selected. You can then use the drag tool to move the parts around. This doesn’t affect the recorded wave file, it just affects how n-Track will play it back.

Now, let’s say you have a track that has several pieces in it from splice & drag as above. (BTW, you can also select and Copy and then select in another track and Paste – does about the same thing only leaves the original track unchanged.) Anyway, say you now want to consolidate the track into a single wave file for convenience – maybe, loading into another song project file (n-Track .sng file). Just solo the track and do an offline mixdown. Import the resulting track. Note: before doing this, you probably want to turn effects off (you can do this in one button using the little green square at the upper left of the timeline view) and set the track’s fader to zero – to avoid changing the volume on the consolidated track.

If this isn’t what you’re asking, be more specific and tell us what you have and what you want.

HTH,
Jeff

[quote=learjeff,June 07 2005,13:25]
you left record on and just did another take? And now you want to rarrange the parts?

Yes, I recorded into an alesis hd24 and dumped them with the fireport and opened them in N. I trimmed the songs down to the 3-4 minutes that were the good take of the song. I also trimmed some bad notes & such and I want to rerender the tracks that are the final song length to a new folder with all of the corrections done and back them up to DVD’s.Right now I have 13 songs in thier respective folders and each folder is 2-3 gigs in size and I really only want to backup my final takes. Sooo to make a long story longer I want to export 24 altered tracks into new folders for backup. Thanks for the help Jeff.

OK, I think I get it. Hopefully I told you what you need above. Let us know if it’s not quite the ticket or you need another tip. If you’re looking for a batch-mode way to do this, though, I don’t think you’ll find it. I.e., if you have 24 tracks, you have 24 repetitive tasks to do.

Thanks Jeff
It looks like I will have to mix down each track seperatley :(

For a wave file that’s just been trimmed (i.e., you didn’t have to edit out any bad notes, you just trimmed it down to leave only the keeper take), you can use the Edit command Trim. This creates a new wave file that only contains what you hear, and it gives you the option of deleting or keeping the original wave file. You can’t tell “Trim” to put the files into a new folder, but it calls them “blah blah_trim1.wav”, so you can tell which ones to move.

If you’ve done some editing and splicing stuff together, I don’t think Trim will do the trick. You might do a quick experiment to find out; unfortunately I’m not at my own machine right now so I can’t try it out.

I’ll add a function to bounce selected tracks so that tracks made up of more than one wave file will be turned into single wave file tracks. I think this should make the task you describe easier. I hope to be able to add the feature to v4.1.

Flavio.

Thats great Flavio :D Thanks a bunch for being so responsive to my suggestion. N track studio will get a mention in my bands upcoming release. :) Just to let you know, I bought Magix Sam8 and to my ears your program blows samplitude away. I’m very happy now!!!

Quote (aikan @ June 08 2005,19:42)
For a wave file that’s just been trimmed (i.e., you didn’t have to edit out any bad notes, you just trimmed it down to leave only the keeper take), you can use the Edit command Trim. This creates a new wave file that only contains what you hear, and it gives you the option of deleting or keeping the original wave file. You can’t tell “Trim” to put the files into a new folder, but it calls them “blah blah_trim1.wav”, so you can tell which ones to move.

If you’ve done some editing and splicing stuff together, I don’t think Trim will do the trick. You might do a quick experiment to find out; unfortunately I’m not at my own machine right now so I can’t try it out.

Thanks aikan!!!
Your suggestion works. I select each track and cut the ends off. Then I did the trim command and it works. Thanks again for pointing this out!!
J