‘Money for Nothing’ too offensive for Canada

One more thing;

The word ‘faggot’ is offensive? Does anyone find displays of homosexual kissing on network television where your kids will be exposed to it “offensive”?

Someone cries “Foul!” when they don’t like the word ‘faggot’ in a song. Yet pleas to not expose children to this mature (sic) behavior on network TV falls on deaf ears? How’s that work?

UJ

I’m gonna complain about that article for using the word “faggot”.

Oh man, now I’ve got to complain about this post too…

Actually, since moving from the UK to NZ I find the TV here much more “sweary” and liberal and their watershed seems to be 8.30pm (9 in the UK).

Is it just the word they are banning? They obviously don’t care about the context!

So do I have to stop eating Faggots? :)

Quote: (teryeah @ Jan. 13 2011, 3:05 PM)

Personally I'd be very happy to never hear that song again

In my opinion Ladies and Gents, that's not the point I'd like to take from this topic, teryeah..

I don't know if I ever heard this song..

Thanks for posting this Bill Clarke..

I believe other SO-Called Democratic Countries and Religions of the world should take offence to this

Today this news item is taking space on most of the local Rag Papers around these parts, smacks of what we should be calling-and-identifying with, as Democracy, people..
Seems to me we got too many High-paid Bureaucrats in Ottawa making rules for us Canadian taxpayers to abide by..

No wonder Family Home/Values are what they are today when we pay people who control what we hear-and-see in the media..

When I was growing up at home there were no locked doors and car keys were left in the ignitions and all..
Steeling property was uncommon..
Kids today know that what is taught in the home is not what is important for them to live by..
It's who they pay their taxes to is who they abide by..

I hope this Rant is just beginning, in the media..

Seems to me we are taught one thing in our homes-and-churches and told another thing by our rule makers.. There has been no debate in the Commons regarding this rule..
The House of Commons is closed..
Nothing going on there, until March..

These people in Ottawa want you to believe that your vote in an election makes a difference..

When do you suppose we should make an attempt and try to take our lives back..
????

Canada and other SO-Called Democratic Countries of of the world are no so democratic minded, in my opinion, when they practice Rule-Making at this level....

It's just my opinion on this matter..
For what it's worth..

That's what I think, today.. About this Matter..

Bill..
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 13 2011, 8:21 PM)

I'm gonna complain about that article for using the word "faggot".

Oh man, now I've got to complain about this post too....

Actually, since moving from the UK to NZ I find the TV here much more "sweary" and liberal and their watershed seems to be 8.30pm (9 in the UK).

Now, Mark, a philosopher of language would have to point out that putting the word in quotation marks means that you are not using the term, you are mentioning it.

:D

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quotation/#2.2

I think I don’t need to be told where on when to use the word faggot by a board of censors. I would like to think I had the judgement to make that call myself. The world is becoming stifled by fake political correctness when there are real issues to deal with. I think the use of the word faggot in that song would do a lot less damage to gays than Mr Bush’s “Don’t ask don’t tell” policy.

It’s just an ironic song!

FWIW, seems to me like there are two issues here.
First, the board did not understand the politics of the song.
They are censoring something that is social commentary, social commentary that is critical of a certain set of attitudes.
So, even if we thought it a good idea to try to regulate hate speech, this was a swing and a miss.

Second, there is the larger issue of censorship of hate speech.
The core reason for protecting speech is that political speech needs to be a free as is possible - Mill made all the good arguments in On Liberty.
Speech that is purely hate speech may not deserve the same protection, but in this case, this is still political precisely because of the ironic nature of the song.
Again, a swing and a miss on the part of the board.

I still say that their hearts are in the right place, and that some instances of hate speech are harmful in a way analogous to other illegal verbal attacks, and hence properly regulated, but it is so hard to draw the line that the risk of over-stepping, as happened here, needs to be considered.
Which means that even some harmful, very offensive non-political speech should not be touched by laws.

Well, that’s the way it seems to this liberal.
:)

I get that Tom, I really do. It’s just…Who draws the line and where?

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 15 2011, 1:26 AM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 13 2011, 8:21 PM)

I'm gonna complain about that article for using the word "faggot".

Oh man, now I've got to complain about this post too....

Actually, since moving from the UK to NZ I find the TV here much more "sweary" and liberal and their watershed seems to be 8.30pm (9 in the UK).

Now, Mark, a philosopher of language would have to point out that putting the word in quotation marks means that you are not using the term, you are mentioning it.

:D

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/quotation/#2.2

Ahhh, yes. Good point. OK, I un-ban my post and ban Willy's instead.
Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Jan. 14 2011, 12:38 PM)

I get that Tom, I really do. It's just......Who draws the line and where?

Bingo.

I can see a day when someone hears me affectionately say; "Come here ya' little turd-head." to one of my kids and sues me. I would put a 'laugh' smiley here but it ain't funny.

UJ - don't want no "Nanny State"
Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Jan. 15 2011, 7:38 AM)

I get that Tom, I really do. It's just......Who draws the line and where?

Tom's points are excellent, and I think we all agree that the song isn't a hate song. So in this case the line is in the wrong place.

Call me an old fart but I'm still offended when I hear songs with the F word in them. So what do we do about that? Ban them? Ban me?

As an aside, we're very picky about the songs we allow through the guitar studio. Even our tutors (many of whom are considerably younger than I am) still bring in (what the management would consider to be) completely inappropriate songs. It's a hard call sometimes.

Then I’m an “old fart” too Mark… :)

If they’re gonna ban ‘faggot’ and not ‘f#$k’ that IS ridiculous.

UJ

I’ve heard that the toy manufacturers are up in arms too:

Quote:

Now look at them yo-yo’s that’s the way you do it

And the poultry farmers:

Quote:

get your chicks for free

And the Primate Society are offended by this comparison of monkeys and drummers

Quote:

Bangin’ on the bongos like a chimpanzee

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 14 2011, 1:11 PM)

I've heard that the toy manufacturers are up in arms too:

Quote:

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it

And the poultry farmers:

Quote:

get your chicks for free

And the Primate Society are offended by this comparison of monkeys and drummers

Quote:

Bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee

HahahahaHAHahAAaahhh!
Nice one, Mark.

Actually I would’ve thought that last one would’ve been more likely to cause real offence.

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 14 2011, 1:27 PM)

Actually I would've thought that last one would've been more likely to cause real offence.

Indeed! Every bongo I've ever known had a real chip on it's shoulder...

UJ

Yup. DS ticked all the boxes on that old nugget. This could run for years, or bringabout glogal debate.

I hope that one day we get over all this bollox. You’re either cool, or not. Nice, or not…The offendable are a minority and need our love and care.

Boy…

This is heating up, over here in “Canuckistan”, I mean, “Bluenose Country”…
One Radio Station/Network has been playing this song on repeat all afternoon…
I haven’t heard it but it was reported on the National Noontime news out of CBC, Toronto…
There appears to be 3-4 Radio Stations, in different parts of the Country,
doing that in contradiction to the rule…,
They, the (Radio Broadcasters) abide to CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission) Rulings…
as I am aware…
BUT, who knows what commission, over here, to abide to, these days ????
Too many steering wheels, too many captains, AND what will be the Fine for not abiding to what ruling(s).
????

Bill…

As your new freely elected dictator for life, I would be happy to draw the line for you.
:laugh:

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 14 2011, 3:46 PM)

As your new freely elected dictator for life, I would be happy to draw the line for you.

:laugh:

Thank you, Tom. We're saved!