A problem with 24 trks

Hey
Has anybody ever run into problems running 24 tracks at once. The audio will quit running and bring up a message saying that my resources are low and I should minimize tracks. I have tried MME\WDM and Asio drivers. This happens with all of them. I am using the eq on all channels and the comp on about 18 of them. I have turned off the fft display. All of the audio is 24bit 48k, which has run fine on cubase in the past, with lots of plugs running. I formatted last week to get rid of serv pack2, so the computer is really clean. I am using an e-mu 1820 and have installed the updated drivers. My tower is a Dell P4 3ghz with 1 gig of ram. My audio is on a separate hard drive. All drives are running at 7200 rpm. I’m lost! Any ideas? Am I asking too much from the software? Thanks

Has anybody ever run into problems running 24 tracks at once. The audio will quit running and bring up a message saying that my resources are low and I should minimize tracks.
Have you ever successfully done this before using N?

Is the message you get, a Windows system error or something from N?

Try turning off all your plug-ins to see what happens. You're most likely putting a strain on the system.

What version of N-Track are you using, and what is the CPU useage just before you get the error message?

I have a somewhat less capable machine than you–Athlon 2400 --1 gig ram- dedicated audio drive. I’m using N-Tack 3.3. I regularly run 24-40 audio tracks with plugs such as eq, comp, reverb, chorus on most of them. The only time I run into problems is when I try to run several instances of SIRS reverb. CPU useage meter climbs to 80% or so and the machine chokes. But I haven’t seen the particular message you describe.

That has happened to me just when you start to play or record with a large number of tracks. It’s an nTrack error box. I jusk acknowledge and it keeps on functioning. I believe that it’s memory not cpu load driven because my cpu reads about 5% when it starts.

jeromee,

Have you tried going to the EMU ASIO Control panel and raising the latency setting? If you are just mixing down audio tracks, raising that to a higher value will give n-Track a little more “breathing” room. Super low latency (< 50ms) is not needed when just mixing down audio. I’d set it to about 200ms and try that.

TG

Thanks all for the suggestions.
I couldn’t understand why this was happening. I am not using any other plugs than the channel comp and eq. My cpu load was hanging around 23-25%.I am using the latest build of ver4 24bit. I will try raising my asio latency settings which are set at 50ms. Thanks again for the suggestions. Jeromee