A Reasonable question

I like signal path GUI and patching

I have recently been playing with the Reason 3 demo (it is nearly fully functional for 20 minutes, other than saving, etc). It’s great to play around on. One thing I like is its signal path GUI. You can “flip the rack” and see all the ins and outs going to each instrument, the effects in its path, and the mixers. I like this a lot, because it makes patching very easy and functional. You can, for example, put different distortion effects on each side (left and right) of the track and run it through a widener to give some bleed into center on each channel (I guess it would be a “narrower” in how I’m saying use it). This gives a really nice full sound. And this is just one little trick that is possible in Reason.

My question is this: are there other stuff around that uses this concept? I know you can achieve the same ends as most of the things you could do in a program like this in N, but it requires a lot of channel spliting, duplication, etc. That is often time consuming and tedios, where this seems so logical and easy to me, and I’m not saying this because I’m an “old, set-in-my-ways, hardware loving engineer who doesn’t really like all this new fangled technology.” I’ve grown up around computers. The first time I recorded something myself, it was on the computer (though, I will admit I am a bit of a hardware lover). It just seems so simple and quick to get things done in a system like this. I know how to make what I have work. I’m the king of tricking the system to get it to do what I want. I just like the simplicity and quickness of this method. Thoughts?

Fish

Fish,
You want to try Plogue Bidule!

http://www.plogue.com/index.p…emid=35

I’ll try it. thanks. (though I’ll have to figure out LFO pathing, etc. I still haven’t figured out how all that stuff works yet.) Any other ideas?

fish