a virtual band

how to get real sound…

hi
I would like to ask you some suggestions respect to the realization of a virtual band with musical instruments the most possible believers to the original ones (real music)
In practice I now engrave the guitar playing with MIDI base of famous songs, the MIDI base is read by a card roland mpu 401 (dated 1994…).
I wanted to know what you recommend me to do… as to get realistic musical bases of accompaniment; if someone of you has modern MIDI cards could send me a file (in formed wav) read with this type of cards?
is it for example possible to read a midi track with engraved a piano and to apply on this track an effect of piano next to the reality?
I hope I’ve explained enough…

thanks

You have asked a very difficult question. There are so many things really good MIDI programmers do to get a realistic sound. But there are two main things to keep in mind. First, make sure you have the instruments playing stuff that real people can play. Second, you need to get the music to “breathe” - you need to use tempo changes and velocity changes and multi samples to get the kind of variation in the performance that you’d find in a real performance.

Others here who are more expereinced will be able to add to this at greater length.

By the way, I’m not quite sure what you are asking here:

<!–QuoteBegin>

is it for example possible to read a midi track with engraved a piano and to apply on this track an effect of piano next to the reality?

:)

Two suggestions come to mind here:

1). Use a softsynth such as Roland’s Virtual Sound Canvas VSC-3 or VSC-DXi. It will give your MIDI a lot more realistic sound. I think that the VSC 3 is available from Edirol for about US$30.00. Goggle for it.

2) The next step up in sound quality is through the use of sound fonts. However, you will need a sound bcard that supports them. One such program is SFZ (Google) which is a freeware SF player and can be hosted by n-Track Studio. In that case, you will will need to find soundfonts on the www and load them into SFZ. They are actual .wav samples taken from real instruments and sound as good as the actual instruments in many cases. As with anything else, there are good and bad sound fonts. The better ones are not free.

I use Band-In-A-Box, a popular accompaniment program from http://www.pgmusic.com You can download a free demo (save is disabled) that will show you what it can do. You can also buy VSC at their site or it comes free with BIAB. They have a lot of sample tunes that you can listen to also.

If you have a particular MIDI song in mind I will be glad to run it through VSC and show you how VSC improves the sound. You can PM me here on this forum.

HTH

Don

The Tom and Don advise is good, take it. Another common practice when learning midi is to do “reverse engineering” with some midi files you like. Open them in your sequencer and look how they was made (look what controllers was used, how the velocityes of the notes are played, etc) that can be a good place for start.

thank you for your suggestions
I will test the roland VSC-88 (I don’t find the VSC-3)this evening on my computer.
I have the sfz program but I’ve runned it just one time…by the way I’ve also many files with the extention sf2, I remember I couldn’t opened these files with sfz…but I think it must be possible. any idea?
thank you all friends
best regards

This is a nice tutorial that Teej made at audiominds. Take a look, is the basics using SFZ.

There is a freeware MIDI editor called Massiva (Google) which is a great MIDI learning tool and allows you to do surgery on the MIDI file such as velocity changes, etyc. similar to n-Track’s piano roll editor. I think that the newest version of Massiva may not be free so look for an older version v.09 or older. Just anything you can find to learn more about MIDI.

HTH

Don

PS: Here is a link to the freeware version of Massiva. It requires three separate downloads to get the plugins.

http://www.webmasterfree.com/massiva.html

you’re suggestions are very helpful, I’ll test sfz and vsc in the next days :slight_smile: About midi I just need it only for playing song (wrote by other people) and to record the guitar so I don’t need to deepen to much the technical matter.
thank you all