A work in progress... if you guys are interested

… I hate mixin’ live recordings…

Download it HERE

LOT’S of work yet to be done. I wanna finish this one and move to the other half-dozen or so “keepers” I have captured thus far.

Poppa kindly sent me some nice acoustic guitar tracks I have yet to work into this one. Our acoustic player went AWOL that day…

It’s LIVE… warts and all… but I hope to shine it up a tad.

D

PS Err… No n-Tracks were harmed in the work on this tune. Sorry… I’m all ‘R’, alla-time! Besides, n-Track on this old machine would have choked and DIED on this stuff… WHY n requires so much horsepower is beyond all reason but whatever… If it’s good for you, that’s all that matters. :agree:

Sorry, its probably clear to most, but you have 5 files there, would it be the newest
one "the lord reigns_V8 8-29-09.mp3 "?

Hmmph! I thought that link went straight to the ONE file, NOT the whole folder. Oh well…

Yes sir. That’s the one. This link should grab it…

http://www.mediafire.com/?zcmoydnzktm

Thanks!

D

Just now grabbed it D - live stuff is what it is - sounding better than the first one you sent. This song is on our learn list for net month. Great guitar work. For my taste the lead vocal is 2 db too hot. Either that or falsify his spread.

Dio, sounds good for live.
And nice guitar sound going on there.

Poppa, what exactly does “falsify his spread” mean?
You mean apply an artifical
stereo image?

Hey D, sounds pretty good, for live, hard to mix live stuff, you have individual tracks or stereo mix to work with?
The only reason I ask is if you have individ tracks perhaps a little more panning spread would help.

You already know how I feel bout yer geetar playing…awsum! :agree:

Still work to do on this thing… I appreciate the comments guys.

Yaz, yep… it’s a multi-track mix. One BIG problem is I haven’t had a lot of time to fool with mic placement on the drum kit and such. The bass player… well whatever “tone tool” she is using is awful. I have to diplomatically discuss that. Solo’d the bass is very fizzy with no definition. A lot of “definition” is in the player too. We’ll see.

The lead vocal, I’ll probably pull it down some. Maybe double it… dunno yet. I just got tired after the eleventy zillion volume envelopes I had to draw in to pull up spots where he looked down at the keys and away from the mic. This guy is an awesome guitar player and just recently started playing keys cause well… nobody else can or will.

Thanks for the listens!

D

EDIT: Another BIG problem on the lead vox is all the BLEED from the other mics. I had to work pretty hard to get that down. Still not right but a lot better than it was…

Quote:

what exactly does "falsify his spread" mean?

Yea pingcat widen out the imaging with a stereo simulation without it sounding like it's processed. I usually do that in my mixdown fx chain also.

A live stage is one of the toughest mixes to create…

One night, the guitar player is hot…
the next night the bass player is hot…
then…
and then…
It depends how consistent the players on the stage is from night-to-night…
How he feels that night compared to the rest of the players…
The mixer man has to be able to read between the lines and all that and make adjustments, for that night…

Even the mixer man has good and bad nights…

Well, that’s some of the issues that need to be compensated for…

Bill…

Here’s another…

Your Love Never Fails

Simple tune… quick mix… not too bad…

D

I’ve been listening to your file… That sounds just fine…
For a “Live” experience you need to hear the room so-to-speak…
I hear it there…
The mix is fine…
In my opinion Room Mic Placement is important…
You have them in the mix…
You need to search for a way in your mix so as they don’t over power your stage mix…
Just some to consider when putting live tracks together…

Maybe, consider and try thinning out your Room Tracks and maybe delaying that track mix a little more…
If it don’t work you haven’t destroyed any of the original tracks…

As I listen to it here I find the balance favors the left channel just a little…
Could be…
the way I hear it over here…
I’m still working on the repro setup here… My metering system says the balance is fine ????

Something you might try…

Doubling the right and left channels
separately…
then playing with delaying or
sample-sliding each side just a bit in a Post Mix Session… after you got sounding to your liking…
A separate mix session, so-to-speak…

I’m full of suggestions…

:laugh:
:p
It sounds just great…
the way it is…
:agree:

There’s plenty of energy going on the stage and in the church…
:agree:

Bill…

Your love never fails is pretty dang good D.
I need your line 6 settings on that guitar!
Bass is really sounding good on this too.

I’m gettin’ there Pops…

The main guitar on “Your Love Never Fails” is the other dude. He plays a Tele through a new POD X3 Live. I don’t have a clue what settings he is using there. I thought his tone was pretty cool on this tune…

D

PS Hey Pops… what do you think about the lead vocal? I doubled the track and have it panned ~34% L and ~ 23% R with the right track having just a touch of delay on it.

Vocal is great to my ears.

Well, yer ears iz ears… I reckon… :laugh:

D

guess I could put my earpods in my nose and see if’n my nose likes it!
All other orifices are off limits.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 31 2009, 8:22 PM)

All other orifices are off limits.

LOL... I hear ya'... I have a pair of drawers gots "Home of The Whopper" on the front and "Exit Only" in the back! :laugh:

D
:laugh:

Last mix sounds really good TG! The V8 version…that thing gotta a Hemi? :laugh: