Abbey Road

open to public for a few days

Anyone going? ???

oh man, how i would love to. I made my pilgrimage to the front gate last summer. Was just itching to get inside.

I visited Studio 2 at Abbey Road in, I think, 1982, probably for the 20th anniversary of the Beatles first hit single “Love Me Do”. EMI had set up the studio space just as it had been during the sessions for Sergeant Pepper. There was Ringo’s Ludwig kit, and the harmonium John used on Mr. Kite. In the control room were the two stereo tape decks that had innovatively been synched together (Geoff Emerick, was it, who was the engineer that worked with George Martin?) to allow (gasp!) four track recording. Valves (tubes for our ex-colonial transatlantic cousins), bakelite knobs, big dials… it was a magical experience.

I have a souvenir 12" single with two versions of “Love Me Do”, the original with Pete Best drumming then the released version with Ringo, or was it the other way round?

I think the present opening shows the larger studio where they do a lot of orchestral and choir recording for film scores and classical releases. Should be interesting. :)

Tuster, I am green. :)

I have a souvenir 12" single with two versions of "Love Me Do", the original with Pete Best drumming then the released version with Ringo, or was it the other way round?
The released single had a studio drummer named Andy White on it, with Ringo on tambourine. The Beatles did a take with Ringo on drums that was finally released on the Rarities album in the US, and maybe somewhere else...maybe the original UK album release.

Anyway, that single sounds like a nice souvenir.

Oh yes, I LOVE to go there and just stare at stuff for hours. I want to hear what the ambiance sounds like in that room when it quiet, and I don't mean how quiet it is. I mean what the room sounds like. Stand there and do a single sharp clap and listen. Good rooms sound very open, no matter the size.

Too bad we all live so far apart - I’ve made a point of going to some famous acoustic spaces over the last few years, and I’d be going to Abbey Road for the same thing, phoo. It is amazing how much you can hear the room on something once you’ve been in the room in which it was recorded. Sun was the most obvious, but the Snake Pit really sounds like those records, and Stax does too (even though it is a re-creation, they did a good job with it). (And Symphony Hall in Chicago sounded wretched to me.) :)

Ever read that book “Temples of Sound”?