? about another daw

just a little question

If you buy an audio interface that ships with CuBase LE, can
you use the software without the interface?

For example this:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm96/

i wouldn’t see why not. i’m lookin to buy an interface that happens to come with cubase myself. wasn’t sure what i was going to do with the cubase part.

I guess I mean - is the software tied to the interface card? Or can you use another
interface
without plugging the USB interface in?

JDET - what are you after?

i think it’s a presonus somethin or other - 8 channel (so i can rig up a full drumset hypothetically) but i’ll probably get something smaller. we’ll see. i didn’t want to spend 400 bones on it.

A few years ago, my EMU interface came with Cubase LE with a later option for Sonar 4LE. I had/have both. I could use them with the onboard soundcard if I wanted. I would think it would be the same now. These LE versions are “teasers” so why would Yamaberg or Cakecrawl cripple them? I suppose the manufacturer of the bundled interface could request that but I can’t see the softie people going along with it.

shrug

D

Cubase LE is pretty much worthless, if you ask me. Not enough functionality. I have a copy if you want it, I will sell it to you for one genuine American cent.

For what it’s worth, I think presonus makes really good stuff.

cool

Quote: (TomS @ Jul. 19 2009, 3:09 PM)

Cubase LE is pretty much worthless, if you ask me.
Not enough functionality.
I have a copy if you want it, I will sell it to you for one genuine American cent.

For what it's worth, I think presonus makes really good stuff.

I think there are different versions of Cubase LE. I know the one I have allowed eight stereo inputs or sixteen mono inputs. I used it to record my sons bands four song EP a few years ago. This was somewhere in the n V4 post .NET debacle where n was "pretty much worthless". I was able to do pretty much anything I wanted with Cubase LE but I really hated the endless dialog boxes. I think the LE shipping today is based on V4 and some of those issues may or may not have been addressed. Don't know...

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without even trying it. You guys are going to be shocked I'm saying this I'm sure, but n-Track is not the be all, end all DAW software. None of them are. Find what works best for you and have fun. :agree:

D

PS Presonus do make some nice, competitively priced hardware. I like the FireBOX my son uses. Just a bit of advice; Make sure you can return the unit or the computer if there are Firewire chipset issues. This is especially true for laptops. Ours WILL NOT work at ALL on my laptop but works beautifully on the boy's. Go figure...

PPS I'll add a few words about Sonar 4LE. Liked the GUI, the editing features were pretty cool, the MIDI features were awesome. Too many buzz killing bugs though... It had to go. Again, this was many moons ago. Sonar is up to V8 now. Don't know about a "new" LE version though.

Thanks for the replies.
Basically - I wanted a copy to just learn how to use it. Plus, in Computer Music mag they are always using Cubase for a lot of the ‘sounds like’ recreations.

So - Tom if you want to let loose of your copy, I could definately pay shipping and handling Let me know.

You got it seven. PM me.

Hey D - I’ve even tried that one you like so much that starts with R - which I rate very highly, BTW. But Cubase LE - at least the version I got - was limited - limits on the number of VSTi one could have going, on the number of inserts, that sort of thing. Cubase is without a doubt a fine product. Just not the LE version. Truth is, most of the DAW things out there are fine products, at least the bigger name ones are. No surprise, really. But I learned on n-Track, and I can work really, really fast with it. In my life that matters a lot. :)

Quote: (TomS @ Jul. 19 2009, 8:00 PM)

You got it seven.
PM me.

Hey D - I've even tried that one you like so much that starts with R - which I rate very highly, BTW.
But Cubase LE - at least the version I got - was limited - limits on the number of VSTi one could have going, on the number of inserts, that sort of thing.
Cubase is without a doubt a fine product.
Just not the LE version.
Truth is, most of the DAW things out there are fine products, at least the bigger name ones are.
No surprise, really.
But I learned on n-Track, and I can work really, really fast with it.
In my life that matters a lot.
:)

I understand completely Tom... specially about that 'time' thing. :)

Yeah, it seems Cooby LE that I have has a two insert limit per channel for plugins or something? Maybe four... don't remember. Anyway... yeah I'm an 'R' head. It just roolz the roost around here but they're all pretty good products. Otherwise people wouldn't be using them at all right?

Seven? If you want that copy of Sonar 4LE I have, just say the word. If it's not buggy on your system (it probably will be...) you could learn a bit about Sonar too.

I was real close to dropping the four Benjamin's for Sonar 6 when I started following the Reaper development. I'm sure glad I restrained myself...

D

All DAW’s are pretty much the same and not, just a learning curve on how things work in each.

I got a cd of trial proggies with the E-Mu card, Cubase, Sonar, wavelab, and so on.
Nuttin I would go purchase.

What’s the best DAW of all . . .
Whatever works for you.