Accordian VST

How to make it sound like one

I have been trying to add either an accordian or fiddle track to a song but no matter what I do they seem to sound like cheap little versions of the original very cheap electric organs. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to make them sound at least similar to what they are supposed to be? I use Steinberg’s VSC (virtual sound canvas) as my VSTi host and the Kjaerhaus classic plug-ins.

thanx

cliff
:cool:

Eyup!

Cliff,

I had an awful itme trying to make a saxophone vst sound like anything other than a strangled cat.
I suspect that the problem was similar to yours in that an accordion, like a sax is a very expressive instrument. It really does take on the character of the musician in control.

I’m sure if you talk nicely to Bill he’ll put you onto either some good real loops, or a tame accordion player.

Good luck

Steve

Drawing expression CC11 messages can help a lot… Just be sure your VSTi support that messages.

Solution: Patch your inputs (keyboard, accordian or fiddle) through an Antares. After that, record on and your playback will sound as good as what you hear live.

Brian

:D Steve: A week or so ago I was trying to make a decent drum roll and you said you had also had a problem trying to get a tympani roll. Now I am trying to make an accordian sound like an accordian and you say you had a similar situation trying to make a sax sound like a sax. :D Are we on the same page or what? :D

I think my final solution is: The song can get along without it… My “stages” seem to get too crowded anyway…to the point where everything is all together and there is no more separation. I am still learning that sometimes (a lot of the time, actually) ‘less is better’.

Marce & Brian: My setup is not that advanced…but I appreciate the help.

Thanks

cliff

Why not get a real accordian player? You’ll almost certainly find they aren’t busy :)

Defenition of a gentleman - someone who knows how to play the accordion, but doesn’t.

Quote (g8torcliff @ Sep. 15 2006,07:19)
Marce & Brian: My setup is not that advanced...but I appreciate the help.

Thanks

cliff

Hi cliff. Dont know about antares, what Brian mentioned. But what i point to you is really a basic midi trick. I mean, if you will use midi just a little, you need to use the expression controller. It is basicly a volume envelope, that can edit the attack and decay of the notes, and make more expressive a musical phrase. If you want to know alittle more, just ask. I asure you you will not lost your time.

JeffM: My brother in law is an accordian player…course we haven’t talked to him in about 20 years…he dropped all realtionships with his family and they still don’t know why…so maybe your line
<!–QuoteBegin>

Defenition of a gentleman - someone who knows how to play the accordion, but doesn’t.
is somewhat true. ???

Marce: I use only the bare essentials needed to get by using MIDI–mainly as background instruments. How do I use the controller you speak of?

cliff

Or maybe try this VSTi instead. (Scroll down, second form the bottom.)

Bubba: I was reading about that one this a.m. on KVR. Is it pretty good?

cliff

Are the rest of those plugins very useful?

Cliff, when you open the piano-roll of your midi track, at bottom you can draw the velocityes of the notes and other controllers. You need select there the expression controller (cc11). In the case of the VSTi Bubba mentioned, im not sure if it read this CC, but the sound is good, i used it recently.

Thanks … I will give both a try this weekend.

cliff

Eyup!

Marce is giving you some good advice, when it comes to midi, Marce and Bubba are da boyz :D

Steve

That is really a pretty good accordion VSTi. It takes some tweaking to get the osund you want… but it is decent. My only gripe is no bass side… it is all lead. I don’t know why developers do that with accordions… but they seem to often forget it tkes TWO hands to play an accordion.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Sep. 15 2006,15:58)
they seem to often forget it tkes TWO hands to play an accordion.

Eyup!

Ah.. that's obviously where I was going wrong :D

Steve

I know what you are asking for, but I did a “polka piece” off a cheap casio player piano set on accorcdian,… then touched up a fake bass, added some drums… and then mixed the whole thing down for my 90 year old grams to listen to…she loved it. (she’s Polish, and could do that polka dance in her younger days).

I’m not looking to be professional and I love accordian, used to be I tried to play one when her freinds came over when I was a kid living there, but even a casio cheap keyboard really does have some accordian type of sounds that are pretty good with me…I tweak all the others during the mix.

If you come up with something else, I’d be interested.

Scott.

Guys, I don’t know what I was thinkin when I said I would try your suggestions over the “weekend”. Studio stuff doesn’t go over well on the weekend at my house…too much other stuff to do…lawn work, cars to wash, places to go, people to see. Got a new hottub for my birthday and ‘had’ to give it a good workout.

So I will work on your ideas and suggestions ‘this week’ and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

cliff

Thanx Bubba…That is a pretty good piece of software (Safwan Matni Accordian Plugin). I downloaded it yesterday and gave it a try. It does work pretty well and, with all of the available tweaks, I think I will be able to get some good use out of it.

Marce, I will have to experiment a little with your suggestion and see if I can become a little more expressive with my MIDI parts. Seems there is always more to learn…will I ever know it all? Somehow I doubt it. But, thats what keeps me going.

Thanks you all for the suggestions…I appreciate you taking the time.

cliff