Acoustic Bass Pickup

Hi there,

I have an old acoustic bass, with what appears to be a dicky pickup. The strength of the signal seems to increase massively as you go down in pitch … the highest pitch string is hardly audible over the pickup, whilst the lowest is far too strong in comparison, and altering the EQ doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Is this fixable?
Expensive?

I don’t play bass that well so I only really use the thing for messing around at home, and the (very) occasional meeting in the church, so would it just be easier (and more cost effective) for me to wander into the store downstairs and pick up one of the dirt cheap (£65) new ones that they are selling at the moment?

Is it a bridge saddle piezo pickup?

If so, if the bridge insert thingy (the white strip) isn’t making uniform contact with the pickup underneath it then you will get what you describe. I had the same problem with an acoustic guitar. I removed the bridge insert and with a little filing and some shims sorted out the problem.

This may help.

X

Sorry, should have said … that is exactly what type of pickup it is.

Thanks for that.

Quote (DaveC @ Feb. 08 2007,14:03)
Sorry, should have said ... that is exactly what type of pickup it is.

Thanks for that.

As long as you are comfortable with a little DIY it should be easy to at least have a look at the pickup and saddle and see if the problem I described is what is happening.

Hope you get it sorted.