Acoustic isolation.

Help to improve it

Hi people,

I´m a NTRACK user for 2 years, but I use it just to record some cover music I play. I have 01 drum, 01 keyboard, 01 electric acoustic guitar, 01 folk guitar, 02 classics guitars, 01 electric guitar, 01 bass guitar, 04 microphones and 01 12-channels mixer. All of this equipment is plugged in a 50 W amplifier in my basement and I think this is good for home use. But I have a problem with my neighbor.

I don´t want to spend a lot of money to do a perfect isolation, and I am trying to do it with cardboards. I am putting 2 layers, with 5 cm space between than, at the walls and the roof. I would like to ask if anybody have suggestions to increase the isolation of this kind of material.

Thank you

Robert

Cardboard on it’s own won’t be much chop, even with airspace. IF you have to use cardboard, sandwich something between the layers, like some open cell foam or (my fav) semirigid fibreglass.

the key to sound proofing is layers. each layer should be a different density. this causes the sound waves to loose energy quickly

Check out …
SAE
StudioTips
ASC
and
John Sayers’ site and forum
for a ton of info on soundproofing and acoustic treatments.

Thanks for you all guys for the hints.

fer doin isolashun yer cant do it proper like unless yer get in yer mind da idea dat yer gotta av a room wivin a room concept’’’’ n da idea of a floatin room usin sumfin like neoprene pad thingies’’’’ cardboard aint no good mate ‘’’
:D :D

I have used thick cardboard many times to quiet noisy gear. The trick is to fold it a couple times so that it is really thick, and the grain goes in different directions. I have built cardboard doghouses to cover small guitar cabinets, humming power amps, and computers. Measurable noise reduction has ranged from about 3db (for a small guitar amp) to more than 10db for a computer with a noisy fan. Now this was with sound sources which were not particularly loud to start, and I am not suggesting it would help appreciably with loud instruments, but cardboard does have some utility for sound reduction. But it has to be really thick, like the boxes that come with refrigerators or televisions.

'til next time;
Tony W

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I used it to build some diffussors with, but replaced them with flueboard as the cardboard was too heavy.

Chack out the thread TomS started about Drum Isolation.

http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…;t=1282

I should mention that for 20 years our family business was insulation fiberglass and cellulose, there are two basic problems with sound travel traveling sound and transfered sound. Travelling sound can be dealtwith thru insulating to slow down it’s path, sound deadening helps alot, the other thing is transfered sound that is a bigger problem it is sound that is transfered thru solid objects, this can be done thru absorption like guitar tones hitting the wall (traveling sound)and absorbing into it ans transfering out the other side. to slow this process down you need isolation in construction they use what is called RC channel to hold the drywall off the wood studs so it is harder for the wood to absorb the sound that hits the drywall. So in closing anything the stops the sound waves from getting to solid materials will help isolate the sound and slow it’s progress, that will dissipate the noise.