Acoustic Pickup Trick Sample

magnetic and piezo together

http://abandonreason.phootoons.com/video…and.wmv

I found the video tape of Abandon Reason playing a few songs “unplugged”. It was a Christmas show - we did 6 songs total - it was a relaxed sitting on the bar-stools set.

The important part is that the sound of the acoustic guitars is a magnetic pickup in the sound hole with a piezo super-glued under the bridge and wired together in parallel. These were run straignt into the mixer using Radio Shack 1/4" to XLR transformers and mixer channel EQ only.

The video capture but it didn’t do too well. There’s dropped frames in places - the sound skips. Nothing I did seemed to help at all.

The sound is stereo straight out of the mixer with no mics on the drums, but flipped left to right unfortunately. What drums you hear is bleed from the vocal mics. I haven’t been able to split out the audio yet…blah blah blah…what you get is what you get. Sorry about the acoustics being so low in the mix.

Songs:
- Velvet Elvis
- Heartland

We were in the process of recording those two for our next CD, but we never finished it unfortunately - a couple of us moved away. So far this is the only playable recording I’ve run across of either songs. The multitracks aren’t playable anymore anyway, but evenif they were they are missing MAJOR parts, like vocals, bass, drums, etc.

Phoo …I like your band.

The acoustic though, don’t you think you could achieve the same sound (with any acoustic setup) with a chorus pedal, tight reverb and maybe a little eq? Not trying to pick a fight but why is it so special?

EDIT: it’s alot brighter sounding than I would have thought though

<!–QuoteBegin>

The acoustic though, don’t you think you could achieve the same sound (with any acoustic setup) with a chorus pedal, tight reverb and maybe a little eq? Not trying to pick a fight but why is it so special?

Possibly, I’m not saying that you can’t. All I was saying was that it sounded better than any piezo alone that we has access to at the time (1990), had ZERO feedback problems since it doesn’t use any mics, and was easy as pie to do. It doesn’t require a preamp, like a piezo only setup, though one doesn’t hurt (none were used that day). It’s a cheap and easy way to electricfy an acoustic that sounds very natural for the most part. The cost was a free magnetic pickup laying around and a $2 piezo. It’s special because it cheap and easy and doesn’t require any of that other stuff.

The louder guitar is a 12 string, not a chorus. Reverb is irrelevent since that’s on the soundsystem.

Hi Phoo - That is really a nice sound that you are getting with the magnetic/piezo parrellel setup. One question though. Why did you go into the XLR input on your mixer? I assume that it was low impedence. But, I would think that you would get better frequency response going into a high impedence input. Come to think of it though I’m not sure that I know what the impedence of a circuit consisting of a magnetic pickup with a parallel piezo element would be like… Any way I think that I might the ‘Phoo circuit’ a try on one of my guitars.

Your band has (had?) a nice open sound. I especially like the instrumentation and vocal harmonies. Is that you singing the lead? Nice, polished style.

Also I never thanked you for the comments you made on the songs that I posted. I initially overlooked your posting. So thanks now.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Why did you go into the XLR input on your mixer? I assume that it was low impedence. But, I would think that you would get better frequency response going into a high impedence input.

The mixer was a small stereo XLR input only mixer - no hi-Z or line inputs on the channels. I think it was a Peavey, but I don’t remember right now. That was a long time ago. Jon (lead vocals) worked at a music store (and I did guitar repair for them) so we would try out all kinds of stuff, and get use of whatever we needed for the most part.
<!–QuoteBegin>
Your band has (had?) a nice open sound. I especially like the instrumentation and vocal harmonies. Is that you singing the lead? Nice, polished style.

Thanks. That’s Jon Byrd on lead vocals. He wrote both songs with help from the guitar player.

Heck no, not me on vocals at any time. I can’t sing a note. That’s me on very-unplugged drums. The snare and floor tom are nearly filled with plastic peanuts to keep the volume down. I’m surprised they even sound like drums at all on the recording - they sure didn’t that day.