Adding audio to a .MOV file

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a way to add audio to a .MOV file without degrading the quality of the video (which will then be compressed to .FLV).

Does anyone know a utility that can do this?

Thanks

Mike

You can use VirtualDub (free download) to add .wav files to video files in .avi format. Then use whatever proggie you were going to use to convert the .avi file to whichever format you want.

Keep the bitrates (audio and video) as high as you can manage in VirtualDub so there is no loss of quality. I’d stay away from .mov files unless you have no other way to get to .flv but there must be something that converts .avi to .flv.

Thanks Bill,

I’m ok on “converters to flash from anyfile”.

My situation is that the best camera I have produces .MOV files but it’s audio is, a) too low quality, and b) not properly synchronised with the video.

Hence I need to be able to add the wave file (that I contemporaneously record into n-track) to the .MOV file video. I’ve seen utilities that strip out the audio but none that will add it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as the resultant Flash videos are going to be a big part of my wife’s web-site.

Thanks again

Mike

I sync it inside Ntrack then save the audio file I’m gonna use, than add it to the video using Roxio.

Didn’t get it free though, it can with bundle software on a memorex DVD burner.

You could go here to Warez, download their software and search peoples data bases for copies of roxio.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Thanks Jeremy,

I had a quick look at the n-track video sync thing but couldn’t make any sense of it, would you mind explaining what it does and how to use it?

Mike

Windows Movie Maker will allow adding audio to video, but it only exports the final video as WMV (and getting the ‘right’ audio and video compression/quality is trial and error…seriously…you choose by final bitrate only) and it’s editing abilities simply suck outright. It’s easy to use, unless you know what you want to do and discover that you can’t do it. Use it as a last resort and find something that will convert to final wmv to format you want. It may be installed with WinXp already. Look in the Accessories to make sure.

Quote (Mike Floutier @ Oct. 16 2006,15:02)
Thanks Bill,

I’m ok on “converters to flash from anyfile”.

My situation is that the best camera I have produces .MOV files but it’s audio is, a) too low quality, and b) not properly synchronised with the video.

Hence I need to be able to add the wave file (that I contemporaneously record into n-track) to the .MOV file video. I’ve seen utilities that strip out the audio but none that will add it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as the resultant Flash videos are going to be a big part of my wife’s web-site.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike,

If you can convert .mov to .avi then VirtualDub would still be your best (and cheapest) bet.

I have no experience with the software cited in this link - Rad Video Tools but it claims to be able to do it AND it’s freeware.

Best of luck.

Quote (Mike Floutier @ Oct. 17 2006,02:33)
Thanks Jeremy,

I had a quick look at the n-track video sync thing but couldn’t make any sense of it, would you mind explaining what it does and how to use it?

Mike

Well I click on the video icon at the top, import the wav. and video file I intend to use.
Then I move the wav. file forward and back on the timeline until my lips are moving at the same time as the words on the video.

Then I mix down that wav. file with the proper fade ins and outs, someimes using several files depending on how long the video; and it’s all in synce with the existing video when I get it into Roxio I add it to the video and bingo.
Alot of these free programs let you add audio but it helps if it’s the right audio first.

keep shinin’

Thanks Jeremy,

I see what you mean about sorting out the audio file before adding it to the video. I just updated my Quicktime to “Pro” to enable me to do this and it’ll need some fiddling.

I’d got the hang of using the Movie editor in Nero Vision Express which allows for much easier file editing and sync. but it would always want to compress the result to another format and by the time I got it to .flv it would have lost too much quality.

I tried using n-track the way you said but it freezes each time I start using the timeline and the video wont display. Mind you the PC seems to have a headache this morning (keeps going “beep, beep, beep!” on start-up) so maybe it’ll be ok in a while.

Thanks again

Mike

Quote (BillClarke @ Oct. 18 2006,03:03)
If you can convert .mov to .avi then VirtualDub would still be your best (and cheapest) bet.

I have no experience with the software cited in this link - Rad Video Tools but it claims to be able to do it AND it's freeware.

Best of luck.

Thanks Bill,

My problem with intermediate conversions is that the quality is degraded; I've done some samples of video conversions both straight .mov to .flv and also via .avi and .mpg. I then play them side by side and the difference is quite noticable.

Hence I want to convert straight from .mov to .flv.

I've decided to use Quicktime pro for this as it will add the n-track recorded audio without disturbing the video.

Thanks

Mike

Quote (Mike Floutier @ Oct. 18 2006,02:20)
I tried using n-track the way you said but it freezes each time I start using the timeline and the video wont display. Mind you the PC seems to have a headache this morning (keeps going “beep, beep, beep!” on start-up) so maybe it’ll be ok in a while.

Thanks again

Mike

I’m sorry to hear that. I thought I had the slowest computer here! :p
Someones always gotta one up me!..tee hee

The last time I had a putter beep like that at startup it was a disk write error.
A few weeks later was the end of that hardrive.

I hope this is not the case with yours, but would be a good idea to backup any files you would like to keep NOW.

keep shinin’