Adding delay before recording starts?

Is there any way to do this other that just inserting a lot of silence or countdown at the beginning of a song then taking that out later. For instance want to start record, then go to another room get situated before starting.
Mulititrack studio has a feature that allows you to set up how much delay time before starting.
Used Multitrack for a couple of projects, came back to NTrack, just works so much better for the way I work!!!
In fact tried a number of other programs and always come back to Ntrack.
Just wondering if there was a way to delay the start of recording a track.
I know I have seen a thread on that in the past but cannot find it.
Thanks for any help

I know the function you mean in MTS. To my knowlege that cannot be done in N track, unless it has been added to v 4. Don’t think so though.

When I used to record (mic up guitar) in another room to avoid the noise, I bought an extension cable for my keyboard and monitor so that I could control everything from the other room. This might be your easiest solution.

I hated all that mucking about though, and I decided to go for the quiet PC + soundproof PC box solution instead. If I still get some noise I use a good noise reduction tool like the Cool edit one.

That would be a very useful enhancement which I for one would find very useful. Perhaps you should mention it to Flavio. Shouldn’t be all that difficult to implement.

Mark

Yea it is a simple little function that is useful…Wonder if a simple plugin could be developed that would work?

I agree. As a drummer recording alone I have to hit record then make a mad dash across the room, sit down, get the headphones and sticks in place, and THEN start playing. So with that in mind, any delayed recording-playback feature should have an option to include the metronome or click and have count-in functionality tied to the tempo of the song.

One trick to consider is to take a deep breath, relax, have a beer and then start playing when starting to record the first track.

After that you’ll have enough time to make similiar procedure before every other track as well.

<!–QuoteBegin>

One trick to consider is to take a deep breath, relax, have a beer and then start playing when starting to record the first track.

Yeah but after the 4th or 5th beer/track I can’t play properly anymore. :p

Heh - Mark, either your playing sucks (needing too many takes) or you need to do some serious work on your alchohol tolerance :laugh:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Heh - Mark, either your playing sucks (needing too many takes) or you need to do some serious work on your alchohol tolerance

OK, I’ll try harder… on both counts.

Heck, it used to be that it would take that many beers before I could loose enough to play. Of course, by then I would be too sloshed to run around so I was glad to be a drummer with a place to sit. I’m glad it doesn’t take many takes these days – I’m way too out of shape to do ANY running around any more. And of course, that makes me glad to be a drummer with a place to sit…you know some drummers are just lazy whatever the reason… :)

O.K. Thanks for the help…I tried the beer suggestion, took me lot of takes!! Really didn’t work well…but I;m happy as #### about it!!!
Scussse me gotta go get another beer… :p

Actually t seems like I forgot to say anything about pressing the record button in my “take a breath and a beer” -hint. If you don’t seem to get anything on tape after five beers…

I wouldn’t worry about it. You can record for hours anyway. I just start the recording when it is convenient then start playing when I’m ready. With hard disks as big as they are it is no big deal to eat up a bit of space and sometimes there is cool stuff in that bit before you get “serious” (I have some really fun recorded comments and jokes that really bring back the moment and memories of my friends when I listen to the raw tracks). I tend to save it all but you can cut it out if you really need the space.

Jim