Adding echo to vocal recordings

How would i go about adding an echo effect to certain parts of my vocal recordings? I want want the echo to appear throughout the entire track but rather just in certain moments like the end of a verse.

Thanks

You have a couple of options on this but probably the easiest way is to clone the vocal track and apply echo to the cloned track then silence the main vocal track in those parts (using volume envelopes) that you want the echo and silence the cloned track (with volume envelopes) in those parts that you don’t want the echo.

I’d say better idea is to put the echo in aux and draw aux send envelopes where wanted.

I would vote for putting the effect on an aux and using aux send envelopes but I would add that when an effect is used on an aux channel you should set the “dry” signal to -infinity to avoid having the vocal get louder as you increase the echo level. You should also make sure the aux send is post-fader as well (unless you want to fade the main signal without affecting the echo). This insures that the channel faders work as you would expect.

Jim

yep, gotta be easier to use aux send envelopes

Like I said, you have a couple of options.

Please try it both ways and see which is easier and report back. I’m guessing my approach is easier but I always stand to be corrected.

I tried Bill’s method and it worked fine. I’m sure the aux way would work nicely too. Thanks all for your ideas.

The aux channel approach has a greater advantage when more than one channel is being sent to the effect since only one instance of the effect is used. Effects that are additive in nature (in other words you have both an unmodified signal in the the mix with other sounds derived from and added to it) work well on an aux channel, particularly when other channels use the same effect.

The in-line approach is good if you want different effects (such as different reverb settings) on each channel. In that case you will have multiple instances anyway.

One additional advantage of auxes for an effect like reverb or echo is that you don’t have to open the effect to adjust the ratio of “dry” to “wet”. You control that with the aux send and aux return which are both available on the top-level of the mixer.

Effects such as compression which modify the direct signal (which have no “dry” signal) must be put in series with the channel unless you are looking for an odd effect. I once worked on a project where an unsophisticated user put a compressor on the aux channel and sent all the vocals and some of the instruments to it. The mix actually kind-of worked but only if you didn’t try to change any of the channel faders. It was hopeless to try to sort it out without starting from scratch, there were way too many unusual interactions. Essentially the aux became a group with a single compressor for multiple inputs. Everythig worked as long as you didn’t try to change the balance. They also put reverb on an aux so it was weird to try to mix normally.

Ibra73,

Just out of curiosity, how did you fade the effect in with the clone approach? Did you cross-fade to the dry track or just switch abruptly?

Jim

<!–QuoteBegin>

Like I said, you have a couple of options.

Please try it both ways and see which is easier and report back. I’m guessing my approach is easier but I always stand to be corrected.

Sorry Bill, wasn’t attempting to dis your answer. The duplication method works just fine but I find it a PITA, (duplicate tracks , added system load, more screen real estate used up, two sets of faders to tweak etc), and since to use it you have to get your head around Volume Evolutions it’s only a small step to use Aux volume sends.

:)

Mark