adding shor send effects to a track? just checking

probably already know the answer to this

This may be a dumb question, but…

If I want to, say, put my vocals through the Compressor and Reverb, I know I just add those effects to the track and adjust them. Duh.

But what if I wanted to add just one bit of Delay to the end of one single word in the lyric?

I know this way works: put the Delay in AUX Send 1, then draw an AUX volume envelope on the track at the exact spot.

Is there any other way to accomplish this? I have problems with the AUX channels sometimes.

Sorry, I’m not as engineering-savvy as I should be.

Eyup!

I think that’s the simplest way to do it (I assume you meant AUX SEND (or return) not AUX VOLUME)
Only other way I can think of would be to clone the track, apply the effect, put volume to zero and then bring it up at the correct spot. Seems like a lot of messing about!
Don’t forget that when you put an effect on an AUX bus that has “wet & dry” sliders to turn the “dry” slider to zero. Then you just use the AUX send & return to mix your “dry” track with the “wet” one from the AUX bus.

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Jan. 11 2006,10:22)
Eyup!

I think that's the simplest way to do it (I assume you meant AUX SEND (or return) not AUX VOLUME)
Only other way I can think of would be to clone the track, apply the effect, put volume to zero and then bring it up at the correct spot. Seems like a lot of messing about!
Don't forget that when you put an effect on an AUX bus that has "wet & dry" sliders to turn the "dry" slider to zero. Then you just use the AUX send & return to mix your "dry" track with the "wet" one from the AUX bus.

Steve

Ya know Steve, perhaps that was my problem when I tried it before. One of my first mixes I used it and it worked great...the next time I tried I couldn't get it to work and got frustrated...perhaps that wet/dry mix was the problem.

THANKS!!!
:D

Beefy’s cloning and vol-enveloping is a good solution. A slightly older-school way to do it is put the delay on the track, set it to 100% wet, set n-track to record from your card’s playback (this is card-dependent), solo the track and hit record. This will print just the delay effect to a new .wav file in its own track. (Then remove the delay from the original track’s effects).

The advantage to both Beefy’s clone solution and this one is that you don’t use up an aux channel for a one-shot effect on one track.

Some effects have automation parameters so you can draw the effect parameter envelopes to adjust the delay or return or whatever.
It would be dependant on what parameters the effect you are using allows to be automated…

I usually just use the AUX send option though. Or clone and use volume envelopes.

Rich

And of course instead of using volume envelopes on a cloned track, you can save another sliver of CPU power by just getting rid of the unnecessary parts of the wave file, via cutting or dragging the ends. I’m all for saving CPU!

chuck