Advice needed - Guitars on Airplane

Carry on luggage - soft or Hard shell?

years ago when I was flying a lot, I was forced to check my guitar on some airplanes. This resulted in the loss of the Martin tripled 28 for which the company gave me a whole $250. I’m making a trip to New York soon and a friend advised me that airplanes will again let you carry on a guitar as an exception to their luggage rule. I checked with American Airlines and sure enough it’s right there in black and white; they will let me carry it on. My buddy says he always shows up with his soft carrying case instead of a hard shell case because the airlines doesn’t want to mess with it and they will always find a place for it on board. I’m just wondering if that is really good advice.

When you travel with a guitar, do you carry it on the airplane?
What kind of a case do you use flying?
Thanks
Bax

Hi Bax3:

I’d say …
if you need your guitar in one piece when you arrive, you had better take it with you as a carry-on…
Then have the guitar in a hard-shell case.
That’s if you are permitted…
If you are not, chances are you might not get your guitar in one piece when you pick it up after the flight…

United Breaks Guitar

This happened to a guy here in Halifax…
So he wrote a series of songs to reveal his loss…

Wolf Blitzer got hold of the broken guitar, as well…

Bill…

p.s.
Follow Sunsofmaxwell on youTube…
It appears they got a few thousand miles outta the incident… and a few million hits on the YouTube Links…

Check The CBS news clip… and others…

Hi Again:

Take the time and follow all the YouTube links…
There’s lots of stuff going on in them…
:)
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Yes, I saw the “United Breaks Guitars” video and enjoyed it very much/ I don’t know, but perhaps that is what convinced some of the Airlines to allow guitars as carry one luggage.
Still I have the question: what experience does anyone herre have with the current situation .

Any time I’ve been around airports, over the years, coming-or-going, I’ve seen kids carrying their instruments…

It’s rare that I’ve seen them on luggage ramps…
Any time I’ve traveled, I drove or my gear was on the back of a truck, or something…

Once you’ve had your gear broken by someone handling your stuff, you take on a whole different attitude toward someone else handling your instruments…

Bill…

p.s. The Hitler Clip on YouTube (in reply) is one of the better ones… Go look for it… Great…

Bill…