Air America files bankruptcy

Does this mean noone will pay to preach to the choir?

Air America has struggled financially since its inception. According to documents filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, the company lost $9.1 million in 2004, $19.6 million in 2005 and $13.1 million so far in 2006

Yes - I saw it. Oh well - it was fun while it lasted. It’s pretty hard to start up a network nowadays & it requires a lot of cash.

You also need to provide programing people want to listen too… :(

“yeah you DID”

“Had to”

<!–QuoteBegin>

…a liberal talk and news radio network that features the comedian Al Franken…

Regardless of political leanings, who would want to listen to THAT crap?

I think it says a lot more that there are folks that listen to Rush all day.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 13 2006,13:34)
Yes - I saw it. Oh well - it was fun while it lasted. It's pretty hard to start up a network nowadays & it requires a lot of cash.

Talent and entertainment value generate cash.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Talent and entertainment value generate cash.

Not sure of your meaning here but Al Franken certainly has generated cash.

AA wasn’t consistently entertaining or consistently informative. As for as “talk” radio goes, Randi Rhodes probably fit that model well but the other programs didn’t.

I don’t have numbers on how many people listened but I suspect that there are plenty.

Al Franken’s show was very funny when it started but it got further & further away from that as time went by.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Regardless of political leanings, who would want to listen to THAT crap?

Are you serious? I’ve gotten lots of good information off from AA.

That last bunch of times I saw Franken on TV he wasn’t funny. All he did was rant, almost to the same degree Limbaugh does. It was tiresome at best, and not informative at all.

It was always destined to fail.

Liberals don’t need someone to tell them what to think. Republicans NEED college drop-outs to tell them what to think like Rust and Vanity. It makes them feel good about themselves that they’re not the ONLY morons around.

Howard Stern is better educated (and richer) than those wingnut desk jockeys.

Long live Howard.

It’s really funny that republicans even bother to go to church anymore. As if there’s a chance in hades that they’ll enter Heaven! :)

Liberator

I, for one, will miss Air America. I like talk radio when driving and on my frequent trips to the States I tune into whoever just to pass the time (Rush is dangerous though - I end up giggling so much I can lose track of my driving - ‘half his brain tied behind his back;’ sounds like it, too.) And I’ve usually enjoyed Al Franken when I’ve found him on the air. I suppose he was bound to leave anyway, though. Isn’t he planning a run for the Senate? Isn’t that why he moved to Minnesota?

Maybe the problem is they didn’t have any church money to support them.

Phoo, I get ya. I don’t know why anyone would want to listen to Al or Rush. Both are ranting nuts. But the fact that Rush is a successful ranting nut and the right has made such an industry from ranting nuts is amazing to me. Apparantly the left doesn’t have the attention span or stomache for ranting nuts? ???

Interesting point Bubba.

Since Franken’s listeners were mostly centrists, did Al’s listeners get tired of the rant? And is the reason Rush’s listeners hang on cause they are as far right as he is? I remember years ago political pundits saying the pendulum has swung to the left and will correct itself someday. Has the pendulum swung so far right that the middle seems left? And if so, will it correct itself before irrepairable damage is done to the human race?

Someone grab the pendulum and swing it back toward the center… vote your conscience.

Mike

I listen to the Al Franken show alot & it’s not just rants. Most of the other AA shows are rants but not Franken’s. Now - of course he rants a little but he has very interesting (liberal) people on regularly like Joe Conason from Salon, Christy Harvey from the Center for American Progress, Melanie Sloan from that DC watchdog group, Bill Clinton, etc., etc., etc.

Admittedly, the show was better when Catherine Lamphir was on. She kep him in line much better & approached the show like a broadcast journalist. Now Franken & his male employees just yuk it up a lot.

I recently saw the clip where Franken was on Colbert & it was pretty funny but of course, anything would be funny on Colbert. I can imagine that Franken on TV would be bad, but remember he’s trying to run for the Senate in MN so a lot of his on TV network stuff is going to be balantly political.

But seriously, Franken talks about issues like Social Security, the war in Iraq, the right-wing, etc. Air America’s purpose is to counter the right-wing media like Rush who has a BIG influence on American politics IMO.

Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 15 2006,23:46)
…is the reason Rush’s listeners hang on cause they are as far right as he is?..

I think Rush’s purpose in life is to give Conservative/Republican listeners talking points to justify their continued support. Rush tells them what to say when they are challenged on specifics - it’s like a primer.

"Okay, when the liberals in your workplace bring up Foley don’t talk about that but attack the Democrats for their political manoeuvring and remind them about the Clinton scandals. When they bring up the War in Iraq say that we wouldn’t be there if Clinton had handled Bin Laden in the first place. We all clear? Okay, let’s go out and get 'em."

Not so much that he’s preaching to the choir, more like he’s teaching them the lyrics. It seems very much like that to me.

I always thought Rush L. was a leftist plot to discredit the right, but folks on the right were too myopic to see that.

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 16 2006,12:35)
I always thought Rush L. was a leftist plot to discredit the right, but folks on the right were too myopic to see that.

Kind of a “Super-Colbert”. Yeah, the thought’s occurred to me, too.