Alaska

Wildlife rescue

What the heck is wrong with drilling for oil in the Alaskan wildlife refuge. We need it. Let’s go get it.

Several reasons. For one it’s a wildlife refuge. The other is that there’s not much oil there to really make it worthwhile, considering the environmental costs.

This is the reason why a balance of power is needed so that people like truthseeker might not get us all killed one day. Yeesh

The amount of oil known to be there would be a very small drop in the very large buck we need. The ends don’t justify the means in the long run as a means to be self sufficient for more than a few short years…like three to five. We need reserves that will last much longer. Drilling up there may or may not trash the area but it’s a short sighted solution regardless.

Let me get this straight. Drilling for oil will get us killed some day? :laugh:

I think understanding this is about a wildlife refuge and that the supply will only last a few years is key. I agree that they are valid points by themselves. However, it is my understanding that this will help us in the short term (and certainly not in and of itself), or atleast until we can start making advancements.

The vehicle I drive is an alternate fuel vehicle. I totally support anything that will save the environment.

If you take some sort of drastic steps towards making all vehicles run on other fuels, or advance fuel cell technology, etc… coupled with the short term help the additional oil will provide, have better govt. oversight, why not? This is what Bush said when he initially proposed the idea. It’s about the whole energy policy thing not just desecrating a wildlife refuge.

Quote (Brad @ Nov. 10 2004,15:40)
Let me get this straight. Drilling for oil will get us killed some day? :laugh:

I think understanding this is about a wildlife refuge and that the supply will only last a few years is key. I agree that they are valid points by themselves. However, it is my understanding that this will help us in the short term (and certainly not in and of itself), or atleast until we can start making advancements.

The vehicle I drive is an alternate fuel vehicle. I totally support anything that will save the environment.

If you take some sort of drastic steps towards making all vehicles run on other fuels, or advance fuel cell technology, etc.. coupled with the short term help the additional oil will provide, have better govt. oversight, why not? This is what Bush said when he initially proposed the idea. It's about the whole energy policy thing not just desecrating a wildlife refuge.

No. I would hope people would be INTELLIGENT enough to figure out that if one side made all the choices on behalf of the population..it would be disastrous and even get us killed.
But I guess I have to spell everything out even the slightest detail for some people [sigh] ???

Anyhoo...we need to continue developing better technology that is more fuel efficient...avoid fuel monster-eating vehicles and considering our population is mostly obese...using god's gift of feet wouldnt hurt. Im sure there are others who believe we should just rape and pillar some other country for resources but I prefer using my legs when possible.

Thank god for compacted cities and subways.

I was joking. Apologies if I offended. :)

Quote (aspiringWanderer @ Nov. 10 2004,16:08)
Im sure there are others who believe we should just rape and pillar some other country for resources but I prefer using my legs when possible.

I didn't realize Alaska was a different country. Perhaps a geography lesson is in order. :laugh:

Did you also mean we should build pillars in other countries such as Alaska? Why? How will this help our energy needs. Is there some new kind of solar pillar technology?
Quote (aspiringWanderer @ Nov. 10 2004,16:08)
I prefer using my legs when possible.

Wouldn't this require alot of people on electrical generating bicycles to meet the current energy demands or did you mean that you have a treadmill with a generator on it in your home.