All my tracks disappeared!!!

Gak!

This happened to me several times.
I believe it happens after a mixdown. When the screen is redrawn, all the audio tracks are missing in the timeline.
The MIDI tracks are still there.

Each time, I hadn’t done much since the last save, so I just quit and restarted.
However, the last time I had done a lot of painstaking editing and hadn’t saved before mixdown.
Big mistake!
Worse, I saved my changes, hoping that restarting would fix it.
Big mistake!

Now I have a song file I’ve spent countless hours on (it’s actually a whole set from live recording), and all the audio tracks are missing.
Well, there’s one line that looks kinda like a minimized audio track, but seems to have all the audio file names on it – unreadable gibberish with all that text superimposed.

Is this a known problem?

I’m convinced that all the tracks are still there, just being displayed incorrectly.
Also, when I close that song and open another one or start a new one, the display is still messed up.
But if I start fresh, other songs are unaffected.
So, the problem is in the song file, but it persists after changing to another song file on that run.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi learjeff:

This could well be the same issue I’ve been reporting since early v4.xx…

If it is everything is fine…
The tracks even play, and all…
There’s just nothing on the timeline’s desk…
If you press play the tracks even play…

On the task bar there is the icon with the magnifying glass…(VIEW ALL SONG)…
Make sure that the icon is (NOT HI-LITED) if you minimize or close n-Track…
Make sure you Double-click the icon to keep it from being HI-LITED…

The icon should be defaulted to (NOT HI-LITED) when moving the cursor (AWAY) from the icon…
At least…
that’s what I find on the set-up I have here…

Check for that…
IT just might help you and the issue you have, with your setup…

Bill…

I discovered that I could make it happen by changing screen resolution, saving the song, then changing the screen back while n-Tracks still running. Deleting the npk file so they were recreated did not fix the problem, but SOMETHING in n-Tracks can be clicked or selected to fix it. Maybe it’s one of the menu items under Settings/Refresh view.

When it happens some screen coordinates that are saved in the sng file are either corrupt, or most likely in my case, at locations that are out of expected or valid bounds for the current screen resolution, or some kind of relative values since I was going from a small to a larger screen.

I don’t see how that could happen when just doing a mixdown, but something is definitely causing the expected display coordinates of the waves in the timeline to be way out of whack. This isn’t the values of the underlying waves, but the boxes that data is displayed in.

I caused it by using Remote Desktop, which displays at a lower less pixels resolution than when I’m directly logged onto the machine. It happened after recording remotely and logging on directly to playback there. The waves in the timeline were simply missing from view completely, but they played fine.

Hi Gents:

I’m back again…

I posted this print screen way back when…
You’ll see the “VIEW ALL SONG” icon hi-lited…
If that icon is hi-lited and you close/minimize n-Track while that icon is in-use/hi-lited and you re-open n-Track this is what you’ll see…
at least on my set-up…

Bill…

I ran into this scenario quite awhile ago (I believe during the beginning of 4.x). If I recall, I was able to fix it with an updated video driver (ATI). I haven’t run across this since. So what fixed the problem is somewhat foggy.

Paul

Hi vanclan:

Thanks for that reply…
That’s interesting…
I have an ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro on this P-111 machine…
It was manufactured way before XP… I had '95 and later '98 installed on a P-11 machine… Boy… That was a real Headache… I had big issues trying to get it to work on this P-111 machine when I installed XP on it…
I found a set of drivers that worked and all seems fine with it…

However, I still have this same issue with n-Track on the Dual Boot P-4 Studio machine I have… It has a Matrox G-550 Graphics Card installed on it…

I’ve never been able to resolve this Timeline issue on any machine I have seen it on…
Anyway, I just check to see and make sure I have no View-all-Tracks icon hi-lited when I close n-Track…
That appears to be the workaround for me and my setup…

Bill…

Hooray! I found a workaround. Bill, what you said got me to thinking, so thanks! I’d definitely tried the “show whole song” button, and the shrink/expand buttons. But I hadn’t tried them ALL: I hadn’t tried the “zoom selection” button. Selecting a bit of a MIDI track and zooming in, everything is back to all good.

Happy Jeff!

Thanks folks.

Next time this happens, I’ll save the goofed up song file and send it to Flavio in a bug report.

BTW, I’m pretty sure this happens when n-Track is re-adjusting the display after a mixdown.
I usually don’t select all the tracks, and it changes the timeline display during mixdown.
Normally it goes back to what it was before, after mixdown completes.

It may happen under other circumstances.

Hi learjeff:

I’m Glad to hear you found a workaround for your issue…
I don’t ever remember sending or asking Flavio for any support on this issue…
When it first happened to me and I posted it here on the Board at the time no-one could duplicate the issue I had…
When I discovered the workaround I left well-enough alone…
BUT…
Leaving well enough alone could very well come back and bite you…
However, your issue may be something else, again…
Who knows ????

When you do get nothing in your timeline…
does it resemble anything like the print screen I have in the earlier post?

I know enough now to NOT DO A Save As
when I see this…
If I remember correctly, If I do a SAVE or Save As I re-write the .sng file and all is TOO Late…
after that…
Again…
if I remember correctly, I just “Back Out” of the session and begin from there all over again…
You loose that particular session…
BUT…
It’s better that loosing the project, up to that point-in-time…

What I do now is…
I insert a DATE CODE in the named project now…
e.g.

(Name of the project_051107)

and then close the project as a Save As…
That preserves each session on the day the edit/session was done…
A little bit of extra work added to the project folder…

BUT
to-each-his-own…

Bill…

Yup, I should have known enough to do a “save as” to another song file, doh.

I can’t tell from your screen shot whether it’s the same or not. Anyway, next time it happens I’ll file a bug report and send Flavio the song file, and I bet he’ll be able to sort it out.

Thanks
Jeff

Count me in, too. I never had this problem until I upgraded from 4.x to n-Track 5. Now it happens all of the time. I have a two-monitor setup; don’t know if that affects things but thought I’d mention it.

I’m using single monitor at present, so that’s not a factor for me.

Hi Gents:

I have this issue on all the machines I have…
It doesn’t appear to be a graphics card problem…
I have Matrox dual monitor cards and an ATI Single monitor card installed on these machines…
It’s an issue with them all…

I believe it’s as simple as maybe Flavio could fix the “View All Song” icon…
to have the cursor action default to “Normally OFF”…
As long as you have the icon Hi-Lited and you minimize n-Track you are gonna have this issue…

Bill…