All sorts of problemss

Crashes, no stereo

Took the plunge and upgraded to version 5 last night (from 4.2.1). I opened a song project created in 4.2.1. I had to set up the audio devices again and all was well until I listened to the song which now only plays on the left channel (i.e. I only hear it on the left headphone and if I pan the master the other side I hear nothing).

OK I think I’ll open it in 4.2.1 and see if I can find the difference. Saved the track in 5 opened it in 4.2.1 (Don’t do it! you’re thinking) and I get a warning about the song being created in a newer version but it opens ok. I listen and again it’s only on one channel.

Sooooo, I go back to version 5 and open the song and v5 starts to load the tracks and then crashes and burns. Try it a couple of times and the same thing happens each time. OK, I think, I have a backup of the song (the original created in 4.2.1) but the same thing happens when I try to open it. Now I’m not 100% sure but one of the changes I made in v5 was to change the colours of 3 vocal tracks and I think that when v5 is trying to load up the original tracks I’m still seeing those colouring changes which are not in the original version.

So: 2 problems:

1) I now don’t seem to be able to load up the original version of the song in v.5 (even though I was able to when I first installed the upgrade)

2) Why do I now only hear the song on one channel? I’ve set up the audio devices as they were in the previous version and had a look at my soundcards (ASIO) settings and checked the obvious (cables, pan controls etc)

As always, any help very gratefully received.

Thanks

Martin

I have at least one .sng file that I can’t open in v 5.0.x. Try sending the crash dump (assuming it generates one) to support@ntrack.com and the .sng file in question. Flavio wasn’t able to reproduce my crash and suggested resetting preferences to defaults. It didn’t help in my case, but give it a try.

I don’t know about the one-channel problem.

OK thanks Karl,

I did save a dump file on the last crash but wasn’t sure whether to send it in or not. My first thoughts were to uninstall and reinstall v5 and try again. I guess resetting preferences night have the same effect.

Maybe the single channel problem might go away if I uninstall v5. If not i guess I could restore the whole system to a point before installing v5 and see if i get stereo back.

Thanks

Quote (plumbum @ Oct. 25 2006,05:00)
Took the plunge and upgraded to version 5 last night (from 4.2.1). I opened a song project created in 4.2.1. I had to set up the audio devices again and all was well until I listened to the song which now only plays on the left channel (i.e. I only hear it on the left headphone and if I pan the master the other side I hear nothing).

Martin, check the Master stereo/mono switch on the master mixer strip (right under the pan slider). HTH

It toggles between stereo/mono/left/right/mute

Jeff

…also check the Playback settings (click on the hammer under the playback VU). Make sure you are set to “stereo”.

Watch for the “Apply settings to all channels” tick box. It applies to both Playback AND recording and can have you running round in circles (we’ve discussed this before and I consider it a bug). My V5 defaulted to having it ticked so setting my input channels to mono kept setting my playback to mono too.

X

Quote (Captain Damage @ Oct. 25 2006,10:49)
I have at least one .sng file that I can’t open in v 5.0.x. Try sending the crash dump (assuming it generates one) to support@ntrack.com and the .sng file in question. Flavio wasn’t able to reproduce my crash and suggested resetting preferences to defaults. It didn’t help in my case, but give it a try.

Yeah. Me too. Still opens in V4 though which is strange. Sent files to Flavio. He couldn’t repro.

Thanks for all the replies.

I uninstalled version 5 and started v4.2.1. I got all sorts of warning dialogs (about DirectX plugins) but it started OK. I copied my original backup of the song and opened it and got the same warnings again (so I guess the uninstall of v5 upset the original installation). But it played in stereo fine.

I closed it down and when i reinstalled v5, on startup, it asked me if I wanted to keep my old config, which I chose to reset. I didn’t get this option the first time I installed. I didn’t have to re-enter the reg codes and when I opened the song it opened OK and played in stereo. Hoorah! :)

Thanks for pointing out the stereo/mono button Jeff (always wondered whythere was a Mastercard icon ??? ). Anyway Jeff and Xon some new things I know about nTrack. So thanks.

The latest build, 5.0.2161, allows me to open up the .sng file I was having trouble with. I don’t know if it was something to do with the build that fixed it or something else. I upgraded to MSIE 7.0 yesterday and that may have had an effect somehow.