All this guitar talk... got me thinking...

and the crowd GROANNNNSSSS…

Strats versus Les Pauls, the “conventional” guitars versus the “unconventional” guitars… What’s in a name? Does the Pope wipe his own butt?

A guitarist who has to cover a lot of styles does indeed need versatility from his axe correct? Well, after playing the Gretsch Pro-Jet (two humbuckers) and the Strat (bridge HB, single, single) this weekend, I think I have come to a few conclusions. Both proved to be equally versatile but in slightly different ways. I now believe that a lot of stuff I have read is spot on. A guitarists “sound” is in his fingers. I think it’s maybe 70% fingers, 10% guitar and 20% amp.

I arrived a bit early Sunday morning and plugged in to tune and warm up… you know, just running some patterns and scales, noodling around on pieces and parts of songs etc… Well the P&W leader, Pastor and staff were in the back having a meeting. P&W leader comes out and says “Oh, you’re playing the Gretsch today!” I said, “Yeah… couldn’t you tell?” He said "No. You always sound like you."

I still don’t know if that’s a good thing or a BAD thing! :p

Thoughts?

D

I came to that very conclusion years ago trying to copy a Chet Atkins lick. Where the “rubber meets the road” is the heart of the tone. I don’t have any theories about percentages of affect - just that it’s the major source of tone. Vibrations go clear to the bone and back. Someone oughta do a study on that - I’m sure there’s grant money laying around just waiting. Of course you’d have to do a violin study to get the money. :laugh:

It’s kind of a tough call I guess. That wasn’t the first time I’d heard the “You always sound like you.” comment… I just always thought it meant “Man… you suck!” :laugh: I’m not so sure now though because the special service we had Sat. night and Sunday’s service, both of which featured more music than usual AND a guest keyboardist went off without a hitch and sounded fabulous. Aside from a sound guy/singer not paying attention, open mic in floor wedge, DEAFEN the dog-gone musicians incident, it was flawless.

I think a lot of a guitarists “sound” is in his fingers and technique as well as what he doesn’t play if you know what I mean. I play mostly rhythm guitar. A lot of guys I have played with bash the same rhythm straight through the whole song. No dynamics… I tend to lay off a bit and slide around in the “pocket” a tad to add interest without taking away from the vocal. When lead guy wails, I usually kick the distortion up and play big sustaining chords to give him a nice base to play over. During parts of some songs, I don’t play at all and let the acoustic player carry the tune or maybe play some nice clean, semi-clean arps. All in all I think I am learning more and more about what makes for a good live guitar sound. I am sick of the plug in and bash til your fingers bleed thing… it really IS about the song.

Knowhattamean?

D

PS Meh… the percentage thing? I dunno… I find I do play differently when I have an actual AMP onstage. Not necessarily radically different… but different.

One of Ann Murray’s guitar players used to come into the store on a Monday or Tuesday morning…
Very quite on those mornings, around the store…
He used to play every guitar on the line and every amp to check to see if he didn’t miss some combination…
I’d hear him out there trying his flavor out …
Then there’d be a short break and silence…
He’d say…
How’s that sound Bill?..
I reply…
That sounds just like you Georges… He was hoping I would say… What combination is that sound?
Georges Hebert…
from Moncton…
Settled in Bedford…
He’s still there…
What a smooth guitar player…
he is…
How can a guitar player sound different when his touch is so consistent?
He makes any guitar and amp sound identical to his touch…
BB King…
when he came to town…
Didn’t arrive here with Lucile…
However, we had a Gibson 335 and a black faced Twin amp for him…
When the amp came back all the controls were on 11…
except the reverb control and tremlo…
He talks to his audience through his hands…
What a great Blues Player…
he is…

Bill…

Groanssssssssssss Loudly! :laugh:

Nah, if a guitar feels good to ya play it, I could care less what the head stock says. I can go in a store play 10 guitars same make and model and no 2 “feel” the “exact same” to me. Not sure how to describe it in words, just a thang.
Me Dissin’ strats is just fun fellers, I used to own an American Strat up until 1999.

:agree:

Under The Weather Yazzarino :disagree:

What ? It make you sick to admit you owned a Strat?

Get better!

Best wishes fer a speedy recovery Yazzer ol’ Bean!

D

PS David Gilmour; One of my all-time favorite players… I seen him with Strats, Pauls, Teles… I believe you could put a busted Ukulele in the man’s hands and he’d STILL sound like David Gilmour. The same is true for many of the great players…

Quote: (Yaz @ Sep. 22 2008, 11:26 AM)

Nah, if a guitar feels good to ya play it,

Under The Weather Yazzarino
:disagree:

From a long-time observer's point of view:
A good guitar is like a good woman...it has to feel good in your hands, and the majic :love: just happens.

I would never buy Yaz a guitar I had not seen him play, or order him one on-line...be like a mail order bride.

working on getting yaz better :love: :)
Quote:

working on getting yaz better

Well ya' know... when I'm feelin' kinda puny, a NEW guitar would be a big boost to my recuperative powers... It might work for Ol' Yazzer... :laugh:

D
:laugh:

you are sick D. When Miss Connie takes care of me - the LAST thing I want is a guitar.
:O
:O

Oh, well… if I’m sick… I’ll get a new guitar in the mail tomorrow!

You know… Fire Engine red Tele… P-90’s… maple neck/fret board, side dots only… chrome hardware… locking tooners…
:p

Ohhh… I-I feel faint…

D

PS Make that neck BIRDS-EYE maple wouldja?

lol - goofus

7.25 - 9.5 - 10 or 12 inch radius on that neck?

12" or FLATTER if possible. 14" would be fabbo!

D - camping by the mailbox tonight! “Poppa Claus is comin’ to town.” (Springsteen style)

This guitar is gonna cost me.

Pick a neck…

OUCH! Fagettaboudit! A “stock” Birdseye Maple Tele neck from those guys is 257 simoleans!!

Too rich fer my blood… sigh

That compound radius option looks interesting though…

D

That was easy.

:laugh:

If you gonna build YOU a Tele for your first custom job Poppa, YOU need to pick a neck. You may like the old "round" Tele necks. I wonder about that chart on Warmoth's page though... It said Ibanez used a 12" radius. I coulda swore I read where most Ibanez necks were 14". The one I had certainly felt flatter than what I thought a 12" fretboard was... I dunno?

D