All this guitar talk... got me thinking...

yep I’ve already got mine ordered. I like 'em thin and tight. Their combo neck is interesting though. Maybe next one.

I’ve got an old Mex Strat. (Brand new condition - approx 10 years old)
It’s only been out of it’s cheap case a few times.
It looks pretty, but just fingering the neck and
it’s out of tune.
Any way to make it usable?

For cheapo guitars for parts or rebuilds into monster machines have a look around fatdawg.com

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 23 2008, 4:26 AM)

I've got an old Mex Strat. (Brand new condition - approx 10 years old)
It's only been out of it's cheap case a few times.
it's out of tune.

Hmmm, see Strat-upgrade kit for Poppa W and Diogenes! :D

Heheheheh,

Could be a couple things, first up would be check nut, cheap nuts will not tune correctly keeping more tension neck side than tuners side. Try a little #2 pencil lead to slick up the nut (in the slots under each string)while changing the strings. Works like graphite. If that doesn't help could be the tuners itself. Check on replacing the tuning machines cost vs. the value of the axe. Also the amount of string left over on the tuning posts can make a guitar lose tuning, check your string winding habits.

On the road to recovery Yaz!
Quote:

I've got an old Mex Strat. (Brand new condition - approx 10 years old)
It's only been out of it's cheap case a few times.
it's out of tune.

Cheap or faulty tuners most likely - good tips from Yaz - those can actually be made to be great little guitars. If I were you I'd put it on eBay or sell it locally to finance your next purchase thou. A new Willis.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I ordered my son a Squier Standard Fat Strat from a closeout deal at MusiciansFiend for a lousy 149 bucks. Much to my surprise, the thing arrived and had BETTER hardware than my Fender Standard Strat. The Standard has the bent metal saddles on the bridge while Squier had a nice cast bridge with cast saddles. The tuners were identical on both guitars. The pickups on the Squier were not “stellar” but they weren’t bad either. I gave it an evenings worth of tweaking and setup and it played just as well as the Standard. I played that Squier on gigs quite a bit myself. The boy was saying “Hey ya’ll. Look… dad’s playing MY guitar.” :p

Best “bargain” guitar I ever had. With a little TLC, I bet your Strat can perform like you want 7 o’ 11. If you are not comfortable working on it, a reputable shop should be able to make it right as rain for minimal cost I bet.

D

PS Avoid the “Affinity” Strats/Teles. Those ARE true junk “bargain” guitars IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I went to the Fender site, and was looking at the Strat set-up
procedure. Pobably was never done on mine. I don’t know
dick about strats. Probably should try that first.
Never did intonation on it. God, even winding the strings
as they suggest.
I know I did not use bullet strings like they suggest.
When I wind a string - I put the (spindle hole ?) in line
with the neck - put the string all the way thru, pull back from
the nut to the first fret (one frets worth of slack) then wind
top (of spindle) to bottom.
It’s got a tremelo that screws into the tail piece.
That always seemed cheesy to me.

Give it a go. I can tell you both Strats I have (had… one of 'em has a new home) held tuning better than any of my other guitars. Mind you, I am not very heavy handed when I play… My bud can bash the best guitar out of tune in one song… I tune up at the beginning of the set and just check it throughout when opportunity arises. Very seldom have to tweak a string. That Gretsch I just got holds pretty good, but after two or three songs, I have to tweak it a bit. Mostly the low E. I may have too many wraps on the tuner post. I slapped a new set on in a big hurry… that NEVER helps.

D

Here’s an interesting find.
Harmony Guitars :agree:

Probably all Korean - and UGLY! whew…

Quote:

Strats I have (had... one of 'em has a new home)

Did I read in another thread - you gave it to one of your
parishioners? That was a very Christian act.

Quiz:
How may guitars can you buy with 700 billion dollars?

Mrs Yaz?

700 billion dollars migh just buy every guitar factory on the planet. :agree:

I finally found a pic of that Tele I Gibsonized - wish I could get in touch with Dennis though. I might be able to … naw not a chance.

Quote:

For cheapo guitars for parts or rebuilds into monster machines have a look around fatdawg.com

Nice link there duffman!

Makes me wanna plan a trip to *gulp* Berkeley...
Quote:

Nice link there duffman!

Second that. I'm gonna hang there all night!