Always On Effect

Do you use it?

I’m curious how many are using the new Always On effect setup in V4.

- Are you finding it handy?
- When active but not used on a channel, is it wasting CPU cycles?

Other thoughts?

teej

Quote (teej813 @ Mar. 17 2005,12:53)
I'm curious how many are using the new Always On effect setup in V4.

- Are you finding it handy?
- When active but not used on a channel, is it wasting CPU cycles?

Other thoughts?

teej

What? When you have effects applied to a track (channel?) you can shut them off but continue to maintain the effects settings and order in the effects dialog box? Something like that? :p

Nah, doesn’t suit me and I don’t really see the point. Personally I track and get the track to sound as much the way I want it when tracking, then listen to it in the mix and see what it needs. ‘Always on’ stuff would tempt me too much to do stuff out of habit rather than because my ears are telling me to.

-Dan

I agree with the previous poster. I find that I need different effects for whatever tune I’m working on. That being said, I do use the Master Channel one - I always keep it loaded with Classic Limiter to prevent clipping. I can see that it might be useful too if you are putting some comp in at the end of every recording, or you could put a rev somewhere, cause that’s something else you’ll always need.

I haven’t really understood the reasoning behind “always on” effects, but I haven’t found the default effects to use up a lot of CPU power, either. I do remove them right away, though, just because. Where does this idea come from? Is this a feature enabled in other DAW software by default? It’s been nearly a year since I’ve tried Sonar, Protools, etc, and I was but a n00b at da time (a n00er n00b, dat is), so I don’t remember.

Tony

Look at Always On Effects as a default way to have some effects always in a track when it’s first added. If you almost always put a compressor in the tracks then it’s good to have it always on. You can remove it from any tracks that don’t need it.

Compressor and EQ default to tracks and EQ and Reverb default to AUX returns. Having those there is a good way for Flavio to expose that functionality to new users, even though many of us have no need for the defaults. Many of us wouldn’t know about that functionality if that compressor wasn’t staring us in the face after upgrading from V3 to V4.

Quote (phoo @ Mar. 18 2005,22:14)
If you almost always put a compressor in the tracks then it's good to have it always on. You can remove it from any tracks that don't need it.

Another time saving tool this is good, I'm sure that I'll be into this one alot!

All interesting opinions. And Phoo, i do understand the logic behind adding this to V4. I was just curious how many folks were actually using it.

Me? I disabled it almost immediately. I can see how it would be especially handy in the AUXes. But i prefer to see the list of effects currently enabled at a glance. I can see the list in the Mixer Effects Window. When it’s part of Always On, i have to expand the EQ window to be reminded of what i have runnng.

But that’s me. I’m glad other folks are finding it helpful.

teej

teej, how did you disable it? I find my self using it for the eq, but I prefer other compressors and verbs, and would be quite happy not to have them running.

Thanks!
Tony W

only thing i almost always use is track eq. first thing i do when installing n-track is remove the always on compressor.

Dimmer, how do you do that?

'til;
Tony W

Ditto - I have no use for anything always being there other than EQ. I didn’t realize EQ was implemented as a plugin and that you could remove it. If you do, what do the EQ knobs on a channel strip do?

But there’s no harm in it as a feature. I do wish that there wasn’t anything there by default – I didn’t know that and plugged in a compressor!

One thing I don’t like about the new compressor screen is that the graph is smaller than before. It would be nice if you could resize the graph. But I realize it’s a compromise of a lot of things – if it’s going to be “always on”, it needs to be small enough. (But, first thing I did was get rid of the compressor displayed in the main timeline window – takes up too much space!)

here are the steps i take…

- after installing ntrack and running it for the first time, you see the “master settings” windows docked on the right (you can get this by bringing up the always on effects for any channel)

- on the “compressor” portion, click the “wrench” icon, and choose “remove effect”.

- you will be prompted again to tell it what to remove the effect from. i choose “All channels” and click OK.

there is also an option to “Remove all always on effects”. note that this does NOT remove the EQ “effect”… i think EQ is treated differently because it is built right into the interface… not sure you can “remove” it in the same way you can other always on effects.

personally, i think the always on effects should be DISABLED by default… with maybe the exception of EQ, since it seems you can’t remove it as an always on effect anyways.

D’OH!!!

I forgot all about the little wrench!

Ever hit the windshield wipers when it wasn’t raining, and had the wipers sing out: “dumbguydumbguydumbguy” until you hit the off switch? :laugh:

Thanks!
'til next time;
Tony W

I didn't realize EQ was implemented as a plugin and that you could remove it. If you do, what do the EQ knobs on a channel strip do?

Nope (or yep), that's the only one you can't remove. It's locked just as it was in V3. But if the gain is set to 0 for each band (and it's not a "band pass" type filter selection) it should be essentialy out of the path according to Flavio.