Always With You, Always With Me

Here’s another Satch tune I just wrapped. It’s crappy rainy ass day here and we were supposed to go surfing, but anyway so I had some time to do finish this. I cheated this time and used a backing track because these drum machine plugins are driving me nuts. I use my Musicman Petrucci into a Studio Devel Amp Modeler Pro plugin for the guitar tone. I like it better than Waves and NI Guitar Rig…no drag and latency. Sounds better as a WAV file but here’s a squashed mp3 to tickle yer earlobes.

http://www.4shared.com/file…ou.html

Nice lead, very tight. I like the harmonic squeals too (Which can be difficult to do sometimes), especially at the beginning, not over done. The tone seems a bit tinny though for my taste, could be brought forward with highs down, mids up and little bass and touch of delay on it might round it out, but thats just me. Excellent finger work regardless.

PACO

Fabulous, but I had no idea that Louis Armstrong did this sort of music. :laugh:

Thanks Paco. Yeah, it does sound tinny. I still have some prod work to do on this bad boy. @ Tom - Louis Armstrong??? wtf? :laugh:

Hugh…excellent playing! Love that tune! Yes the overall mix is a little tinny, good suggestions above.

But…

That dang shaker is too loud and overpowering the mix and annoying the crap outta me to point of sticking it up your Hugh Jass! :laugh:

Awsum fretwork! :agree:

Thats aaa nice!
Really great playin!
The backin tracks sounded fine to me.
About the backing tracks, how much of that did you arrange?
Are those bass samples? Keep up the great work :agree:

Quote: (Levi @ Sep. 07 2009, 11:15 PM)

Thats aaa nice!
Really great playin!
The backin tracks sounded fine to me.
About the backing tracks, how much of that did you arrange?
Are those bass samples?
Keep up the great work
:agree:

The backing track included all of the drums, bass, etc. The only thing I did was the guitar tracks over top of it.
Quote: (Hugh Jass @ Sep. 07 2009, 4:22 PM)

Thanks Paco. Yeah, it does sound tinny.
I still have some prod work to do on this bad boy.
@ Tom - Louis Armstrong???
wtf?
:laugh:

Look up "Satchmo" on wikipedia.org. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchmo

That’s some very classy playin. Let me ask you if you can remember, was there a time in you life where you felt that you where struggling with your solos? If so, do you remember the turning point? What caused you to transcend? Where you aware of it? Can you remember one or a more things that you did to make the difference?

Quote: (Levi @ Sep. 14 2009, 8:26 PM)

That's some very classy playin.
Let me ask you if you can remember, was there a time in you life where you felt that you where struggling with your solos?
If so, do you remember the turning point?
What caused you to transcend?
Where you aware of it?
Can you remember one or a more things that you did to make the difference?

That's a good question, Levi and I take it you're also a guitfiddler. Yes, I've had several Eureka moments along the way. It wasn't until I finally settled down in the early 90's and stopped trying to use guitar as a way to get chicks, show off and be cool. The one thing I couldn't do is read music. The other thing was that although I could seemingly instinctively pull some cool riffs and leads out of my ass, I really didn't know my way around the fretboard. I gave myself two years to conquer both. I couldn't find a decent mentor out in the eastern California high desert area, so I learned it on my own. I studied the "Fretboard Logic" series first and mastered the CAGED thing. Next, I studied modes, scales, keys, chords, patterns and all of that stuff...2 hours a night every night no matter what, and then some marathon sessions here and there. I always had a guitar in my hand to repeat scales even when watching TV...one of those little Fernandez travel guitars. You can't get the real freedom until you know your way around the fretboard without thinking about it.

After that, working on technique became easy...legato, tapping, string skipping, sweep picking, etc. The real Eureka moment came though when after all of this, I decided to learn Yngwie Malmsteen's "Far Beyond The Sun" note for note. Took me about three months of steady practice. Lots of dudes learn scales and stuff, but until you start playing complete songs, it doesn't become the real deal.

That explains it, very interesting HJ!
You know I can relate and did about the same thing.
Except I didn’t take quite the scholastic approach that you did.
I did study and exercise with scales back in the 80’s but at one point I quit chasin women and did nothing else, late 90s, locked myself in my room for a couple yrs with my head deep into every cool blues lick and rhythm I could find, then applying them to my playin.
I even spent a little time charting songs.
All that helped me a lot but learning is an on going affair for me!

String skipping is a cool technique, I’m glad that you mentioned that!
Even as a finger picker, I think I’ll try to cop some of that for my blues.
I also think great blues players like Joe Bonnamossa, Eric Johnson and Walter Trout have probably covered more study topics like you have.
I’ll have to hear you with your band
:agree: and looking forward to hearing more of your recordings!

Huh - I see my mistake - I studied all those John Cage pieces where he says "First, dump a bucket of bolts and screws and rubber bands into the piano…"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BwwF9cLwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4TCth0gGM&feature=related

Whatever you did, you are a helluva guitarist, HJ.

I don’t know much about John Mushroom Cage but could you imagine Nicolas Cage as a kickin drummer? I can see that! TomS? Your spread out man!

Superlative finger work, HJ. Stay away from girls and anything else that might damage your hands. No more of that surfing nonsense for you, young fellar me lad :laugh: